Author Reply
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Found pikes peak but not Sebring yet. People seem to be focussing on the bugs and the low number of crew members you're allowed but scratch past that (and I've only seen one bug the entire 5 or so hours of play so far) and it's a hell of a lot of fun.

Really would love to see a Driver in this game engine. I don't think it's that ugly. Case in point, tooling around in one race past a building on fire with full fire crews in attendance, narrowly avoiding them as I weaved past. Nice little touches like that mid-race do lift it a notch above last gen stuff
#781 at 15:32:21 - 15/12/2014
frod
Flag
Comments:102
Thread Kills:34(3%)
AATG Pts:130
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
The collision detection is spot on as well, without wishing to spoiler, there's a bit later on nearer Las Vegas where you're chasing around some items that in most games you'd hit invisible sections of, but here you can get as close as you'd really dare.
#782 at 15:34:32 - 15/12/2014
Bremenacht
Flag
Comments:38
Thread Kills:7(5%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
I'm at Spelunky again. I've managed to avoid the secrets over the years, so it finding a 'new' level or mysterious piece of kit it still a delight.

Ahem, Dungeon Keeper on Android. I like it. If you can tolerate a grind, it's a nice pastime.

Dishonored. Such a quality title. It just oozes half-life goodness.
#783 at 23:27:40 - 15/12/2014
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
frod said:The collision detection is spot on as well, without wishing to spoiler, there's a bit later on nearer Las Vegas where you're chasing around some items that in most games you'd hit invisible sections of, but here you can get as close as you'd really dare.

Yep I'm finding that with a lot of the chases where I go off road. Think a lot of folk will just base their experience on the beta without bothering with the full game. Bit of a pity really.

Main character weirds me out a bit at times. He looks like Gordon Freeman but sounds exactly like the ghost of Paul Walker!
#784 at 11:14:36 - 16/12/2014
Dragul
Flag
Comments:75
Thread Kills:47(6%)
Star Rating
Call of Duty Ghosts (single player) and Killzone Shadow Fall (also single player), currently I hit a dificulty spike on KZ and because I don't want to buy a new DS4 I had to stop playing for a while... o_0

@Bremenacht

Still have to play Dishonored, are the DLC any good?
#785 at 22:47:50 - 26/12/2014
Bremenacht
Flag
Star Rating
I don't know - I've not got any. I've read that the Brigmore Witches is good.
#786 at 12:44:04 - 29/12/2014
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Comments:43
Thread Kills:25(2%)
AATG Pts:75
Star Rating
Lots of Far Cry 4 this Christmas. It's particularly good in co-op. Sillothian and I must have put in about 4 hours yesterday (right Sil?), doing outposts and assassinations / hunting / rescuing hostages. It's not dissimilar to Far Cry 3 but it is a lot more varied and interesting (helped a lot by the inclusion of the gyrocopter and co-op).

Destiny - I suspect I'm the only level 29-nearly-level-damn-30 who has not had the balls to do a Raid, not even Vault of Glass. It really has its flaws, but it seems I can't get enough of the grindabout (daily heroic / patrol / bounties / public events, use ascendant shards and energy, rinse repeat).

Lords of the Fallen - yeah, it's no Souls, though it wears its inspiration very proudly, and is not a bad game by any means; the bosses are just a wee bit tough and demotivating at points. Worth picking up cheap if you are a Souls fan but don't get your hopes up.
#787 at 11:51:35 - 31/12/2014
Dragul
Flag
Comments:75
Thread Kills:47(6%)
Star Rating
@FlexibleFeline

Lords of the Fallen is a nice little game, not as punishing as Dark Souls but really enjoyable.

It does notice the really low budget of the game specially in the optimization aspects (some bugs and an uneven frame rate with some needs to reboot the PS4).
#788 at 14:59:35 - 31/12/2014
Syrok
Flag
Comments:452
Thread Kills:81(2%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I finished Mass Effect 1 for the first time yesterday. I now played the entire series in reverse order. Started with 3 when that was free on PS Plus a while ago. Then I borrowed a copy of 2 from a friend and now I got the first on in the January sale on PSN for €4 or something like that.

Best €4 I have ever spend on a game series! ^.^

Really should have bought these games from the start but in all the trailer I had seen of it looked too much like a fairly generic space shooter. Didn't know it was set in an actually interesting universe.
#789 at 13:14:12 - 01/01/2015
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Comments:43
Thread Kills:25(2%)
AATG Pts:75
Star Rating
Dragul said:@FlexibleFeline

Lords of the Fallen is a nice little game, not as punishing as Dark Souls but really enjoyable.

It does notice the really low budget of the game specially in the optimization aspects (some bugs and an uneven frame rate with some needs to reboot the PS4).

Yes, they've done a good job despite some quibbles. Just need to get past this boss, I've had it down to its last sliver of health three times now...and then died. Grr!
#790 at 16:23:20 - 01/01/2015
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:175
Thread Kills:38(2%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Picked up Valiant Hearts for PS4 in the PSN January sale after seeing it on several 'Games of 2014' lists. I'm enjoying it so far - I really like all the historical detail attached to each level and the various objects you can find, and the production values are impeccable. So far the gameplay hasn't been particularly taxing but the puzzle elements - particularly when using the dog - are nicely implemented.

My only concern with the game at this point is that I'm not entirely sure that the tone of the story and the tone of the gameplay sit entirely comfortably with one another. The story seems to try and hit a note of reverence to the many who died during the war, and yet the gameplay and some of the animation work seems to undo this good work by trivialising the dangers of the war somewhat. I don't know though - I'm still too early in the game to be able to tell whether this will be an issue for me or not.
#791 at 12:23:56 - 06/01/2015
Kay
Flag
Comments:342
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:160
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Yeah, want to try that after seeing it mentioned in various GOTY talk. I'd heard the name but assumed it was just another JRPG!

After finishing Uncharted 2 (late to the party but what a thrill ride that was), finally got started on Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. After initially feeling meh about - and wondering if I could be bothered going through all the same old Zelda stuff yet again - it's amazing how addictive and compulsive it quickly becomes. Especially with this one, the lack of hand-holding, fast-pace and open nature makes it a joy to play, even if the whole thing is still unmemorable as far as Zelda games go. If that makes sense? Regardless, nice to see the franchise hasn't yet quite lost its lustre for me.
#792 at 18:18:33 - 06/01/2015
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Oh, I'm also getting quite addicted to Luftrausers on the Vita. It's such a simple game but the scoring system is ingenious - successive kills build up a multiplier but you only actually get the points once the multiplier is lost, meaning you take risks to build up the multiplier but then have to try and gauge when to get out of danger and 'bank' your points. Also the customisation aspect, allowing you to use different engines, weapons and body types, give rise to some wildly different play styles, which keeps things interesting.

Kay said:Yeah, want to try that after seeing it mentioned in various GOTY talk. I'd heard the name but assumed it was just another JRPG!

Hah, I did the same at first, I think it's mainly Vandal Hearts which caused my confusion - which, after a quick Google, I'm pleasantly reminded that I actually played and really liked back on the PS1.
#793 at 11:20:35 - 07/01/2015
Bremenacht
Flag
Star Rating
Another game of This War of Mine. I like how you get a slightly different view of the world by playing with a different starting group, and how the gaming balance is gently shifted. I like how the game presents the moral choices you made when(if..) you survive the war, without judging you.

Some Hexcells, after seeing it on a EG Steam users list of played games. Minesweeper with sudoku bells on.

A little bit of Valiant Hearts. A little bit of Luftrausers.
#794 at 02:22:36 - 08/01/2015
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I'll be interested how you think This War of Mine compares to Valiant Hearts - I know they're not trying to do exactly the same sort of thing (clearly the tone of VH is less dark than TWoM), but even so, they're both games set in wars that push the fighting itself into the background, so it'll be interesting to see how they compare.

I'm definitely going to play TWoM at some point too - I was hoping for a PS4 version but it looks like they're aiming for a tablet version first (sadly - I don't mind iPad gaming but I prefer playing on the PS4 with a proper pad).
#795 at 12:03:58 - 08/01/2015
billdoor
Flag
Comments:183
Thread Kills:162(4%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Started on LEGO Marvel Superheroes last night after completing LEGO Batman 3. LEGO Batman 3 was the first LEGO game I properly played, so it's interesting to see how different they are to each other. Marvel Superheroes seems a lot more cinematic for starters but the engine (on 360 at least) seems to be creaking somewhat...
#796 at 12:35:38 - 08/01/2015
Haisuli
Flag
Comments:0
Thread Kills:0(0%)
AATG Pts:
Star Rating
frod said:The collision detection is spot on as well, without wishing to spoiler, there's a bit later on nearer Las Vegas where you're chasing around some items that in most games you'd hit invisible sections of, but here you can get as close as you'd really dare.

The other tears of light assignments weren't too bad, but these ones are spread all over the place.
#797 at 10:25:35 - 09/01/2015
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I've been playing a fair bit of inFamous: First Light this week (it's one of this month's PS+ freebies). I've never been a fan of the series (played the first and second instalments for a few hours each but couldn't get into them), and so I've been surprised at how much I'm enjoying it.

I think the fact that it's DLC helps a lot - there's not much in the way of introductions or tutorials, and instead you're just thrown into a city with a load of cool powers to try out, with only a short upgrade path to unlock new abilities. And the abilities are pretty satisfying to use - the combat has real heft (and fairly forgiving for a unreformed button-masher like me), and the ability to zip across the city, travelling up walls at will is fantastically empowering.

I know it's likely to be fairly short but I'm fine with that - I suspect it would get repetitive if stretched out further than a few hours of play. I don't think it's going to make me want to play the original game but it's nice to enjoy something much more than I was expecting to.
#798 at 10:50:43 - 14/01/2015
James_Howell
Flag
Comments:0
Thread Kills:7(50%)
AATG Pts:
Star Rating
A great deal of TF2 (Team Fortress 2, for the uninitiated). I somehow keep getting hooked to the game every couple of months and now is one such phase. Apart from this MMORPG, I do enjoy some lighter games as well which do not require that much of strategizing/action, such as these pet games or even the popular Plants versus Zombies game, which involves a homeowner using a variety of different plants to prevent an army of zombies from entering their house and 'eating their brains'.
#799 at 11:12:33 - 20/02/2015
billdoor
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Dead or Alive 5 Last version we'll foist on you honest on the PS4. After several generations on various Xboxes, it's nice to get back to a PS version. last Playstation one I played was on the PS2...
#800 at 11:40:37 - 24/03/2015
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Transistor is still getting some of my time - the combat is neat, and I love the look of the thing. Unfortunately though I do hate the constantly-talking sword. It's not so much that I dislike the voice acting or the script, more just that fact that it talks *all the time*, even when there's text on-screen for you to read, something I find really distracting.

Apotheon is also good, a nice-looking Metroidvania-style adventure with a great varied weapon set. Unfortunately my play through has hit a few fairly serious bugs, including three occasions where I've had to restart in order to progress, one crash, and one mission-critical enemy that's currently stuck in a wall meaning I can't kill it (and helpfully, restarts and reloading save games don't fix it).

As might be obvious I'm just working my way through my PS+ collection. I am reaching a point though where I'm thinking I might have to cancel it though - it is great value but the problem is I feel obliged to play the free games meaning I don't actually get time to play anything else! Ah, i don't know, I used to be able to crunch through several games in a month, now I barely make it through that many a year!
#801 at 19:34:44 - 24/03/2015
billdoor
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Completed Tomb Raider Definitive edition on the PS4 last night. Completed the PC version a good while back, so it was an easier romp this time. Currently sitting at 74% complete, so I'm off to find all the stuff I didn't during the main mission. Particularly proud of shooting numerous seagulls out of the sky with fire arrows when I got bored...
#802 at 09:41:45 - 27/03/2015
Syrok
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Finished The Last of Us. Without doubt a very, very good game, yet at the same time it was also a little bit underwhelming. It felt very safe, like a summer blockbuster movie. There was nothing there that felt innovative, novel, or disruptive in any way. The gameplay boiled down to you either sneaking around or shooting people, trying to ferry Ellie across a small stretch of water, and walking through pretty scenes while talking. I enjoyed the latter part the most, oddly enough.
#803 at 17:35:36 - 29/03/2015
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Syrok said:Finished The Last of Us. Without doubt a very, very good game, yet at the same time it was also a little bit underwhelming. It felt very safe, like a summer blockbuster movie. There was nothing there that felt innovative, novel, or disruptive in any way. The gameplay boiled down to you either sneaking around or shooting people, trying to ferry Ellie across a small stretch of water, and walking through pretty scenes while talking. I enjoyed the latter part the most, oddly enough.

Actually I enjoyed those bits the most too, there's some lovely sequences where you're just wandering around chatting - the moment towards the end where you stop to watch those, ah, animals wandering across the city will probably stay with me a good long while. To be honest when playing those sections I always regretted it when the gameplay inevitably returned to fighting. I would love to play a Naughty Dog game without any combat in it at all, though that's unlikely to ever happen.
#804 at 11:57:55 - 30/03/2015
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Weaning myself back into games with (so far completely excellent) Dying Light. Picked up a cheapish copy and have been really pleasantly surprise by the mix of freerunning, crazy zombie scrapping, looting and a huge and gorgeous ruined coastline city to muck about in.

Fab game, really nicely done.
#805 at 15:46:17 - 10/04/2015
billdoor
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Playing Shadow of Mordor on the PS4. Not sure I like it, the script seems like it was written for 12 year olds and the control seems really clunky :/
#806 at 17:37:38 - 10/04/2015
Syrok
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Got a PC the other day so I'm catching up on games.

Civ 5: Already spend way more time playing this than could be considered normal. Strategy games are my MMOs. Really enjoying it but I think it's a little too abstract for my liking.

Kerbal Space Program: I can't get into orbit… I like it, but I think I will like it more once I can reliably get something into space.

Cities: Skylines: Only spend 3 hours with it, but it's essentially exactly what I want from a modern city builder.
#807 at 17:37:48 - 10/04/2015
frod
Flag
Comments:102
Thread Kills:34(3%)
AATG Pts:130
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I'm playing "laugh at DF".

They put up a performance evaluation of Project CARS, complain about the delays in the opening paragraph, then proceed to base their evaluation from a build from before it was delayed.

Spectacularly stupid.
#808 at 14:14:03 - 17/04/2015
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Axiom Verge on PS4. I was always a Metroid fan and as Nintendo don't seem in any way inclined to make any more of them this will do nicely. It's very well put together and inspires that same instinct of searching every corner of the map for secrets. Enemy design is very nice too and it's quite atmospheric (although it doesn't manage to feel as oppressive and alien as Super Metroid).

A few reviews criticised the game for bringing nothing new to the formula which is mostly fair - and I was rather disappointed last night to discover that my next upgrade after seeing lots of platforms just out of reach was, er, a slightly-higher jump - but it does have a couple of interesting smaller ideas, for instance a weapon that can 'disrupt' enemies and change their behaviour, which is interesting to experiment with.

Overall it's a quality game, and I've enjoyed scratching that Metroid itch for the first time in a long while.
#809 at 09:06:58 - 20/04/2015
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Played through Three Fourths Home last night, it's a short game about the relationship between a young woman and her family, told through a phone conversation as she's driving home to see them. It's a little teen-angsty but the dialogue is sharp and the characters are quite sympathetic. The ending is quietly affecting too. It's only about twenty minutes long (although the extended edition comes with another chapter I've not played yet) so I'd recommend it if you want something a little more laid back and thought-provoking.
#810 at 09:48:55 - 24/04/2015

home
Left 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 Right