Author Reply
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Just Cause 2. I actually finished the story of this, last night! :) Still a game I can put on to dick around in. It's taken a disappointing amount of time for a sequel to roll around. I'm messing around in Mercenary Mode - currently sitting at 70.4% completed.

Alien Isolation. Been stuck in Medical for the best part of ten days. Starting to shout "Bullshit!" at the screen a lot. It's evocative, but this section, with massive stretches with no save points, should earn someone a punch in the bollocks.

Destiny (360). Played up to around level 24. Really enjoyed it, and I might be the only person claiming it doesn't make me think of Halo. Which is good, because my opinion on that is well known around here. It's shit. (Just in case you're new.) Suddenly hit a wall in which I'm struggling to enthuse over replaying things (for little reward) ad nauseum. Had a laugh at the pitiful reveal of the dlc... 20 for that? Do one.

Titanfall. Might be the only online fps I've ever been good at. Routinely MVP (which has NEVER happened, in all my years of being an easy target for the enemy). It's good, but I regret buying the Season Pass. The second set of DLC maps adamantly refuses to play. Never seen them.

Sniper Elite 3. The Churchill DLC was a mix: the first one was weak, but they got better and better. Pricing of DLC guns stinks, but I still like this one a great deal. I think it finally eclipsed two, for me.

MGS: Ground Zero. Way better than I thought; love the side ops which have opened up. I also like the fact I'm not wading through exposition. Kojima, you say it best when you say nothing at all.

Assassin's Creed 4. Best since the original. Just adore the piracy angle.

Watchdogs. Yeah, it's quite good. It does make me wish for a new console, but I might look into that, cash permitting, some time next year. Waiting to see how The Division pans out. Still not sure which console I'll go for.

Oh and for your obligatory "Who plays that shit? Oh yeah, RMJ" item: Payday 2 on the 360. Amazingly, it's been given a patch, and some dlc, a year on from them giving up promising it was coming. This game could have been something very special... it seems to be on PC.
#751 at 16:49:41 - 30/10/2014
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:175
Thread Kills:38(2%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Silver Medal
repairmanjack said:
Destiny (360). Played up to around level 24. Really enjoyed it, and I might be the only person claiming it doesn't make me think of Halo. Which is good, because my opinion on that is well known around here. It's shit. (Just in case you're new.) Suddenly hit a wall in which I'm struggling to enthuse over replaying things (for little reward) ad nauseum. Had a laugh at the pitiful reveal of the dlc... 20 for that? Do one.

Saw the story about the DLC earlier. Apparently also the XBox DLC has even less content than the PS version too because Sony have an exclusivity deal bagging them some extra content until late next year. The thing I don't get is that if Acti/Bungie really see this as a 'ten year project' then why would you piss off so many customers just a few months into that, particularly when many of them are somewhat pissed off already for the game not entirely living up to the hype? Absolutely baffling decision - I predict we'll see a price drop pretty soon.
#752 at 18:20:39 - 30/10/2014
billdoor
Flag
Comments:183
Thread Kills:162(4%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
LEGO Batman 3 on the 360- damn I want to unlock a shit load more of the extra characters- and also a bit of Captain Toad Treasure Tracker on Wii U.
#753 at 14:23:46 - 13/11/2014
Kay
Flag
Comments:342
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:160
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I've been playing Forza Horizon 1 on and off for the past couple of months, nearing the end now (on the final set of races). It's not without its flaws but is still pretty much the best semi-realistic racing game I've played. There's so much to love about the setting and open-world structure, and I even like the story and the way it's fed through the game. So yeah, it's pretty much convinced me to get an Xbox One at some point to play the sequel.

Before that I was playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution over the summer. After an iffy start I was really enjoying it, makes great use of the Wii U's gamepad, but I kinda stopped (I think) about two-thirds of the way through - need to get back and finish that off.

Also got Bayonetta 2 SE - not actually started the sequel yet but played a bit of the first (again). Seems much fiddlier than I remember, but obviously it's a game that needs practice. Should probably get cracking on with the sequel really.

billdoor said:also a bit of Captain Toad Treasure Tracker on Wii U.

:O

Review copy?
#754 at 11:03:03 - 14/11/2014
billdoor
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Yeah, I'm part of a Nintendo blogger scheme. Had to sign a very lengthy NDA agreement :O

But it's good so far :)
#755 at 11:04:05 - 14/11/2014
Kay
Flag
Comments:342
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:160
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Good to hear. Not that there was ever any doubt, but still good. :)
#756 at 11:05:42 - 14/11/2014
Trip SkyWay
Flag
Comments:539
Thread Kills:77(4%)
AATG Pts:175
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Collecting star coins in Luigi U which I'm still enjoying in the compressed levels.

And Shadowrun Returns. I've not played a text heavy RPG for ages, and wasn't sure I'd be in to it but it swallowed up my Sunday morning. Takes me back to my Cyberpunk tabletop days, looking forward to my next chance to play some.
#757 at 21:21:53 - 16/11/2014
frod
Flag
Comments:102
Thread Kills:34(3%)
AATG Pts:130
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
all Nintendo, all the time.
#758 at 12:19:39 - 25/11/2014
evilashchris
Flag
Comments:591
Thread Kills:53(2%)
AATG Pts:200
Star Rating
Gold Medal
The new MarioKart tracks are so lovely.
#759 at 14:02:26 - 25/11/2014
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Yeah, really can't quibble about the quality of the DLC, it's fantastic. Not so sure about the Zelda track (more for the course layout than the theme, which is obviously great), but Mute City and Wario's Gold Mine are absolute aces. As is the dragon one. And the Yoshi one. And the icy one isn't bad either.

The only thing I'm slightly disappointed with - and I know this is a bit churlish - is that they didn't include any content that really allows you to get some extra value from the content in the original game. I was hoping for something like a 200cc mode, or something like the Diddy Kong Racing coin collecting modes. I dunno, just something to make me want to revisit the original tracks beyond having a few new characters and karts.

I know, I know, asking the moon, etc. :)
#760 at 18:51:02 - 25/11/2014
Syrok
Flag
Comments:452
Thread Kills:81(2%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I went back to Skyrim. Finished it once and got about half way through with several different before, but still managed to find areas I haven't seen before and whole quest lines that I didn't existed.

I wonder how much I missed in Oblivion. Not going back to that though. It probably has aged horribly.
#761 at 16:49:37 - 28/11/2014
frod
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Chris has aged horribly
#762 at 13:26:01 - 30/11/2014
evilashchris
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
This is true :C
#763 at 12:56:46 - 01/12/2014
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
LittleBigPlanet 3 for me. Initial impressions weren't good at all. Stuttering intro vids and voice that made Stephen Fry sound like Max Headroom didn't exactly fill me with confidence that Sumo had picked up chief development duties and run with 'em.

Into the game though after a day one patch (which addressed the game breaking bug of not letting you move during the intro - how the fuck did they miss THAT one!) and it's LBP quadrupled in size and given a ton of gloss. As with other entries in the series, it's all about the creative mode as the adventure campaign is really short (but does at least showcase some brilliant ideas to try out in your own creations).

Create Mode really gives you tons of new stuff to play with, the level depth has increased to 16 (which is actually incredibly daunting TBH!)

All in all, it's a huge time consuming beast of a game that I doubt many here will bother with (Syrok? You're my only hope!)

Oh one more thing - the new characters don't do it for me. Seems a bit of a waste of time to even include them as they're so underused.
#764 at 15:26:05 - 01/12/2014
HairyArse
Flag
Comments:1774
Thread Kills:127(2%)
AATG Pts:350
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Geometry Wars 3. Amazing.
#765 at 16:26:54 - 01/12/2014
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
So I have one of these PlayStation 4 things now, so first on my list is the Last of Us remaster (I never played the original because my PS3 gave up the ghost before it came out) - seems nice so far, I'd forgotten how good Naughty Dog's direction and animation systems are, really nice stuff. I'm also quite taken with Resogun - as well as the shiny I really like the rescuing the humans dynamic, which always gives you something extra to be thinking about in addition to shooting stuff. I bought Octodad in the Black Friday sale as well, as I've always wanted to play it - it's great slapstick fun so far.

I also have a load of PS+ stuff to be getting on with, some of which, like Hohokum and Velocity 2X, are games I've already played on the Vita but not quite polished off.

Oh, and I'm also playing The Banner Saga and Monument Valley: Forgotten Shores on the iPad. Plenty to be getting on with then!
#766 at 19:21:01 - 01/12/2014
Syrok
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
peej said:All in all, it's a huge time consuming beast of a game that I doubt many here will bother with (Syrok? You're my only hope!)

Probably not. Mostly because I spent the last year or so supporting Sumo's design team on this. :)
#767 at 16:57:28 - 03/12/2014
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Aha! I would say kick 'em squaw in the nootz for the number of bugs that crept into the final release (particularly the Manglewood game-breaking bugs) but design wise it is a thing o' beauty.
#768 at 15:47:36 - 04/12/2014
Syrok
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Thanks! I'll pass it on to the team.

From what I hear Sumo is working hard on getting fixing all the issues. It should be in much better state soon.
#769 at 21:15:10 - 04/12/2014
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
The latest patch (1.3 - which arrived last night) seems to have resolved a few things. Still a bit baffled by the complete lack of sounds for create mode though. You get about 3 groups under the one sound item there (mostly mechanical clanky stuff), no animal or human sounds - which makes building levels a bit tricky.

Thankfully all the issues with multi-hub levels seem to have been sorted out and the network co op stuff too. Definitely could've done with being in this state a week ago though.

#770 at 11:06:10 - 05/12/2014
frod
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
The Crew. Racing GOTY
#771 at 21:32:31 - 05/12/2014
evilashchris
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Really? The Beta was a bit pony I thought.
#772 at 16:24:27 - 06/12/2014
frod
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
The beta didn't provide any insight into the actual game - a carpg where you level up your cars and driving skills from the shonky basic crap. Just avoid the awful American muscle cars.
#773 at 21:19:10 - 06/12/2014
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarky or not :) I rather liked the time I spent with the demo but after being burned by the launch bugs in a couple of games I decided to wait till it had tidied itself up a tad. I take it the beta really was unrepresentative of the actual game then?
#774 at 11:48:08 - 08/12/2014
frod
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I've been playing it all weekend, it's utterly superb. By virtue of being loosely based on real world USA it has the most interesting open world map yet. The prospect of just doing epic scenic roadtrips was enough to get me interested, but the actual game is pretty good too.

Judging from the beta is like judging world of warcraft with a level 2 character. The cars handle loosely in the beginning, but you improve them through racing and other missions to get better parts that improve speed, handling, braking, etc.

As someone on GAF said, this isn't a racing game with only 57 cars, it's a car-rpg with 57 different characters to level up.

The mini challenges (that are all easily restartable) are numerous and fun. The fast travel options are great. Once you get your cars to level 100+ they handle nicely enough and only improve from there.
#775 at 13:47:21 - 08/12/2014
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Good to hear some positive stuff. Might have to pick it up then :)

Still suffering from the appalling bugs in LBP3 - Even post 1.3 patch some really stupid stuff is happening. I built a level (with my daughter) which played nicely. Post publishing though, the level just jets you straight to the finish as soon as you start it (which definitely is NOT the intention). Now it's broken both on the Earth and the Moon. Infuriating.

So they've fixed the single player mode, and f****d the very reason for buying LBP3 in the first place, the creative mode.

It's nudged Alien Isolation aside for top honours as the most disappointing release of the year and pretty much puts the nail in the coffin of me ever buying another in the series. What a shame.
#776 at 15:14:57 - 09/12/2014
billdoor
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker is beginning to get me. Even when it kindly made me invincible after I died about 2,000 times on a level, IT STILL TOOK ME A FURTHER 30 MINUTES TO COMPLETE that level.

3+? Hah, any kid under the age of 10 will struggle past level 2 IMHO.

Having said that, I'm horribly horribly addicted to it :)
#777 at 18:19:08 - 10/12/2014
Sillothian
Flag
Comments:127
Thread Kills:46(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Far Cry 4 - PS4

Takes everything Far Cry 3 did right and improves on it. Looks fantastic and plays great. I love the little helicopter you get to fly around in. Makes exploring Kyrat a pleasurable experience indeed! Played 20 hours so far and haven't even unlocked the northern part of the map. The story is much better than FC3 but anything to do with Shangri-La has been rubbish. I'm hoping there won't be anymore of those missions in the main campaign but I fear I have more to come. Still the rest of the game is superb. I'm looking forward to taking out a few outposts in co-op.

Driveclub

I'd have got this on launch if it wasn't for all the network problems but once it dropped to 30 on Amazon I thought I may as well pick it up. Glad I did as it is a fantastic racing game. The graphics are great especially the weather and lighting effects which are stunning. The car handling is more arcade than sim and the ai is a little bit robust to say the least but I'm having loads of fun with this. The challenges are extremely addictive and will add longevity to the game long after the career mode has been completed. Course design is top notch too. Sony dropped a massive bollock releasing Driveclub in the state in was in but with the bugs ironed out and the dynamic weather added it is one the best games on the PS4.

LEGO Batman 3 - PS4

No surprise that I think this is awesome. No open world Gotham in this but a series of hubs to explore for each of the main locations in the game. This is just a further refinement of the LEGO formula which is exactly what big fans of the series like me are after.
#778 at 19:05:52 - 12/12/2014
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Took a leap of faith on Frod's recommendation of "The Crew" after getting a lot of enjoyment out of the demo and it really IS excellent. Far from being a bunch of boring missions, it's quite varied and a lot of fun when you start to ramp up the spec on your cars (opted to avoid the yank muscle stuff and went mostly for imports including the awesome GTR)

A lot of the fun comes from the exploration, the playable map is HUGE (alright it's a scaled down version of North America but still fairly fun to tool around in cities I've been to, even though quite a few liberties are taken with road layouts etc).

Really enjoying it though. If you're wavering over picking it up, get it when the price drops and you'll get a lot of solid enjoyment out of it.
#779 at 21:48:28 - 14/12/2014
frod
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Yep, two simple things that they nailed elevates it for me, the map, which is wonderfully detailed - have you found Sebring yet? What about Pike's Peak?

But also as you say, the missions and skill tasks have all had a decent amount of thought put into them.

Also, co-op is great too.

I think there is just a lot of righteous indignation because it doesn't look "next-gen", but you can really see where the effort has gone if you look past the surface.
#780 at 13:11:01 - 15/12/2014

home
Left 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 Right