Author Reply
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Positive reaction and word of mouth for Shadow of Mordor managed to put me on that game rather than buying Forza Horizon 2 (the original plan) or just carrying on with Destiny end game (the backup plan) for my day off this week.

What I found was a very satisfying and challenging play experience, great presentation and overall a purchase I would recommend to anyone who isn't completely finished with the kind of open world action game it represents.

Not far enough in to say whether it's worth buying just if you're a LotR fan (or, I guess, if you should totally avoid it in that case), but so far so good.
#721 at 02:26:23 - 02/10/2014
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:464(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I've just bought it too, and it was so far off my radar that it was in another country I think! So not my type of thing, but then nor was Destiny and I got a good bang for my buck out of that.

Looking at the footage, and hearing a lot of positive vibes about the innovative gameplay elements made me sit up and take notice.

The usual Autumn clusterfuck of titles really is happening though innit, Alien Isolation is out next week as well, EEP!
#722 at 11:37:26 - 02/10/2014
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Yup, no free weeks from here on out really, definitely got my fingers crossed for Alien, too.

SoM may turn out to be more of "your thing" than you're expecting, you like Infamous from what I remember, right?
#723 at 11:49:07 - 02/10/2014
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Yup, also liked a bit of Assassin's Creed back when it was more about sneaking about and leaping from building to building than piratical stuff on the high seas.

I remember early footage making me want to sit up and take notice, but the more recent stuff is quite something else.

Looking forward to playing it (hopefully tomorrow if my copy shows up)
#724 at 13:00:37 - 02/10/2014
HairyArse
Flag
Comments:1774
Thread Kills:127(2%)
AATG Pts:350
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Played an hour or so of Alien: Isolation last night.

First impressions, graphics not as amazing as perhaps they ought to be. Felt like it could easily be a 360 game. Is there a 360 version? I have no idea.

So far I haven't encountered the titular Alien and it feels like I'm very much still in tutorial territory. Played in the dark with my surround headphones on. Was pretty creepy with lots of scratches and shuffles going on around me.

Looking forward to getting properly into it tonight.

One awesome thing about the Xbox One version is its Kinect integration. When crouched behind an object, it uses head tracking to allow you to peer around or up and over. Its implementation is brilliant and it's almost realtime rather than laggy as hell. Works even in pitch darkness, too.

Also, apparently during stealthy sections, Kinect's camera picks up audio from your room so if you make a noise in the real world the in-game enemies will hear you. Which is very cool, especially when it's throwing jump scares at you and you have to bite your lip.
#725 at 09:15:13 - 03/10/2014
billdoor
Flag
Comments:183
Thread Kills:155(4%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
FIFA 15. Managed to get it running over Steam home streaming (I used a Gigabyte Brix hooked up to the telly for the streaming client). 1080P 60FPS on our 50 inch telly- it looks lovely and plays very nicely too.

Spent an hour trying to chip the keeper using the lofted pass button during a match last night :)

Next up, see if I can get Elite Dangerous working over the home streaming :D
#726 at 12:07:56 - 06/10/2014
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Playing "Shadows Of Mordor" at the moment and it's bloody impressive stuff. It steals just about all the good bits from (pre-piratey) Ass Creed, lifts the combat system directly from Arkham Asylum and throws in smidgeons of LOTR nonsense into the bargain. It is kicking my arse to pieces though, it's fair to say! One tough game where stealth over blind fury is definitely the best policy.

Need to give it some proper time though, far too busy with other daft stuff (including playing rather a lot of the Crew beta)
#727 at 12:14:32 - 06/10/2014
billdoor
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I'm tempted with the reboot of Gauntlet next...
#728 at 12:23:28 - 06/10/2014
HairyArse
Flag
Comments:1774
Thread Kills:127(2%)
AATG Pts:350
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Alien: Isolation for me.

Review on the site in next day or so.
#729 at 12:58:26 - 06/10/2014
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Still can't make up my mind on whether I'm going to pull the trigger on that or not (despite the credit sitting there in my PSN account specifically for me to buy it...). I feel like we already entered the stage of the year where some games have to fall by the wayside and that might be the first one for me, will be interested to read your review.
#730 at 14:11:50 - 06/10/2014
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
If it will help - The cutscene choppiness is fucking appalling, can't believe stuff like that still happens in modern games. Seems to be quite a common prob with the console versions but if there's anything that completely fucks an 'immersive horror experience' it's stuff like that.

Weirdly, the game itself is as smooth as silk.
#731 at 12:05:42 - 10/10/2014
frod
Flag
Comments:102
Thread Kills:34(3%)
AATG Pts:130
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Driveclub
#732 at 11:38:32 - 11/10/2014
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Driveclub is a good solid racer. Pity they didn't spring for a few more servers though, I've not been online with the thing yet. Just rattling through the single player mode though.

The handling model is EXACTLY what I wanted though, just the right combination of tail-whippy drifty stuff like PGR but with a superb sense of speed. Visually it's knockout too.

That netcode though...beats the hell out of me why more devs / publishers don't just let folk set their own servers up if they can't be bothered to stick enough on. Surely Sony must've known that this was going to be massively in demand? I mean ffs, it's been delayed for a year - bloody good job it didn't launch with the PS4 as you can well imagine the sort of drubbing it would've got
#733 at 21:16:35 - 11/10/2014
frod
Flag
Comments:102
Thread Kills:34(3%)
AATG Pts:130
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
it's great. The AI is really nice and vicious, and car choice absolutely makes a difference, sometimes you need more acceleration than top speed, depending on track layout. My only issue is finding a good viewing option, bumpercam is too low, but the reflections in the cockpit views are offputting.
#734 at 15:01:14 - 12/10/2014
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I am finding the chase cam essential for those high speed and drift challenges. Most of the time though I'm on road or bumper cam depending on what I'm doing (races or timed challenges)

Gorgeous looking game. Shame about the lack of connectivity (I think I've been connected to Driveclub servers for, oh, all of about 10 seconds in total!)

Working my way slowly up the ranks though and like you said Frod, the car choice really does make a heck of a difference depending on what type of race you're doing.

Finding it very difficult to be a 'clean' driver though :)
#735 at 17:52:01 - 13/10/2014
Flying_Pig
Flag
Comments:277
Thread Kills:25(2%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Great to hear some positive comments about Drive Club :)

I'm currently playing Beyond: Two Souls on the ol' PS3 and really enjoying it. I loved Heavy Rain and this is a definite step forward by Quantic Dream - both from a technical and story-telling perspective.

The fact that the game plays in a non-chronological order (like Pulp Fiction), can be a touch jarring at times, but generally works well.

I think I'm nearing the end, but may re-play to make some different choices :)

Oh, and I'm killing time on the Vita (playing Futuridium and Table Top Racing) in anticipation of an indie game called MineCraft being released on Wednesday...
#736 at 14:06:35 - 14/10/2014
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I couldn't get on with Beyond: Two Souls demo at all, it just felt like the very worst bit of Heavy Rain (the scramble up that muddy bank) was seized on by the developers as the thing to base the next game's entire game dynamic around. For all Quantic's slating of LA Noire's mocap, the game also couldn't synch speech to lip movement save its life (again purely based on the demo)
#737 at 15:06:32 - 14/10/2014
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:175
Thread Kills:38(2%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I started playing The Banner Saga on my iPad a few days ago - always wanted to play the PC version but I'm far more likely to actually stick with it on the iPad. Really liking it so far - the artwork and music is wonderful, and the strategy RPG underpinnings are scratching an itch I've had for ages.

It works pretty well on the iPad too. Occasionally the touch controls can be slightly fiddly mid-battle because of the density of characters, but you can almost always roll back an accidental tap. Performance is pretty good too, with only the odd hiccup when loading texture-heavy areas (this is on iPad 4 though).
#738 at 12:45:34 - 15/10/2014
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
MineCraft! On my Vita!

Loving it!!
#739 at 13:52:38 - 16/10/2014
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Flying_Pig said:
I'm currently playing Beyond: Two Souls on the ol' PS3 and really enjoying it. I loved Heavy Rain and this is a definite step forward by Quantic Dream - both from a technical and story-telling perspective.

The fact that the game plays in a non-chronological order (like Pulp Fiction), can be a touch jarring at times, but generally works well.

I think I'm nearing the end, but may re-play to make some different choices :)

Finished this last night - thorougherly enjoyed it. It's a defnintely step up from Heavy Rain and a worthy successor. I can't wait to see what Quantin Dream come up with for the PS4
#740 at 13:04:41 - 17/10/2014
Trip SkyWay
Flag
Comments:539
Thread Kills:77(4%)
AATG Pts:175
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Trying to get all the star coins in super Luigi U, some the secret exits would be impossible for me to find without youtube's help. Found the whole game pretty challenging, a bit too much so to play with the family as planned.
#741 at 15:10:46 - 19/10/2014
billdoor
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Played some Luigi's Mansion 2 on the 3DS on Saturday. Thought it was lovely, found out it had been out 18 months, assumed it would be 20ish, but had forgotten that it was Nintendo so it still costs 30+ everywhere.
#742 at 09:34:18 - 20/10/2014
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Trip SkyWay said:Trying to get all the star coins in super Luigi U, some the secret exits would be impossible for me to find without youtube's help. Found the whole game pretty challenging, a bit too much so to play with the family as planned.

I'm still only about halfway through NSMBU and am not feeling particularly enthusiastic about finishing the rest - it's really quite hard, but the thing that really puts me off is the stupidly punitive save system where you can only save at castles (i.e. at the middle and end of a world), and if you quit at any other point you can only 'save' like this once before you lose that progress back to your last proper save. Rubbish, really kills my enthusiasm for revisiting it.
#743 at 09:45:57 - 20/10/2014
Trip SkyWay
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Yeah that save system is poor, once you beat bowser you can save whenever you like though, which is a real relief. Good they scrapped that for Mario 3d world. They should get rid of lives too, it worked fine in Rayman.

Do you have anyone who can help out making platforms on the game pad? I played through most of it 3 player with my wife and daughter, with someone helping out on the pad. Was a lot of fun and far more manageable.
#744 at 20:34:09 - 20/10/2014
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Trip SkyWay said:Yeah that save system is poor, once you beat bowser you can save whenever you like though, which is a real relief. Good they scrapped that for Mario 3d world. They should get rid of lives too, it worked fine in Rayman.

Do you have anyone who can help out making platforms on the game pad? I played through most of it 3 player with my wife and daughter, with someone helping out on the pad. Was a lot of fun and far more manageable.

Hah, not unless I can train one of the cats to do it. :) Good to hear they remove the save restriction later in the game, although that does seem to suggest that even the developers though it was a bit of an annoying restriction.
#745 at 19:20:41 - 21/10/2014
Bremenacht
Flag
Comments:38
Thread Kills:7(5%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Risk of Rain.

Sooooooooooooooo good! Bit of a nightmare for an instinctive gaming hoader/turtler like me. So many weapons to find, but the damn clock keeps going up!

Got pushed over the edge just now into getting Alien Isolation, so there'll be that over the next few nights. Ah - then there's Civ:Beyond Earth coming up. You'd think there'd been a Steam sale on or something.
#746 at 19:49:41 - 21/10/2014
Binky
Flag
Comments:160
Thread Kills:33(2%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Started playing Alien Isolation last night but I think it may be my first and last go with it. The game really doesn't agree with me. I'm guessing it's the FOV that does it, but it just makes me feel an overwhelming sense of motion sickness.

Everything else about the game looked sublime, but I'm not going to enjoy it if it does that to me!
#747 at 17:28:29 - 22/10/2014
Trip SkyWay
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
nekotcha said:
Hah, not unless I can train one of the cats to do it. :)

Shame there's no online, I'd be up for helping :)

I oddly got more into SMBWU the harder it got, though some of the star road levels are ridiculous.
#748 at 18:00:15 - 22/10/2014
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Comments:43
AATG Pts:75
Star Rating
Just finished Alien Isolation; I don't think I have played or will play a more immersive, intense game this year. Simply fantastic; even if I had to stop playing at points and put it aside for a day until I plucked up the courage to tackle a section again.

Really, really struggling to enjoy The Evil Within. I hope it picks up: sluggish, unpleasant and just not that nice to look at.

Shadow of Mordor: now that Alien Isolation is done, I should be able to put some more time into this. Quite liked the hour or so I've put into it so far, it does seem to have some interesting systems at play, even if the combat feels a tad pedestrian right now (I'm assuming it improves with upgrades).

Lost my Destiny mojo - or momentum at least. I hope to get back into it soon, but the next big challenge I think is doing a Raid and it seems a bit too hard to get the right people together at the right time.
#749 at 10:21:55 - 26/10/2014
Bremenacht
Flag
Comments:38
Thread Kills:7(5%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Binky said:Started playing Alien Isolation last night but I think it may be my first and last go with it. The game really doesn't agree with me. I'm guessing it's the FOV that does it, but it just makes me feel an overwhelming sense of motion sickness.

Everything else about the game looked sublime, but I'm not going to enjoy it if it does that to me!

I had that to begin with, but it passed. Something to do with the telly, or its size I guess.

On the game - phew! What a pant-pisser! I feel tense playing it! Argggh. I'm finding the way it moves and detects you intriguing. There seem to be patterns there. The music is too much though. I had to turn it right down, as it was more stressful than anything in the game itself.

Civ:BE. Hummmmm. It's not special after all. Civ 5 (with DLC) seem to be superior. Not actually finished a game yet though, so maybe I'm missing plenty.

Risk of Rain. So very good. Completely addicted to it now. Hooked on challenges/achievements too. Is it possible to finish it, or does it go on and on until you're dead?

Ethan Carter. Looks lovely. Love the way plants and stuff move about in the wind and,,, errr, so far that's that. Looks lovely though! Also, why does it remind me of HL2?
#750 at 12:28:00 - 29/10/2014

home
Left 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 Right