Author Reply
Flying_Pig
Flag
Comments:277
Thread Kills:25(2%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Silver Medal
After finishing Hohokum yesterday, I started playing The Swapper this morning.

It's essentially a sci-fi puzzler, based around making clones of yourself which mirror your own movement.

I've only played an hour so far, but am really impressed - the setting and atmosphere is excellent and the puzzles are brilliant without being ridiculously obtuse.
#691 at 10:28:12 - 21/08/2014
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Still plenty into Sniper Elite 3 and looking forward to the new dlc. At risk of hitting burnout at this point. Sunk a whole lot of time into it.

Oddly, dipped back into the back of the game cupboard a few nights ago and emerged clutching FIA World Rally Championship, from 2010. I played it a bit, back then, but I think it drowned in several other titles. Anyway, really got into it this week and, whilst I didn't appreciate it at the time, I'm now convinced it had the best rally handling model of any game on the 360. Because Colin McCrae/Dirt games turned to shit last gen. I still don't understand how rallying was ruined so badly.

New game: I finally picked up a copy of Titanfall for the 360. Tried it for the first time yesterday. It's really good, I have to say - even if I'm not typically that good at online shooters these days (more Grandpa Simpson than anything). Anyway, was smashed for a couple of games, levelled up twice, was thrown into a badly matched round - on the victim-side as ever - and... destroyed everyone. Man of the match, achievements for MVP, and a shitload of angry messages from people convinced I had to be hacking/cheating/a cunt. Apparently, unless they're spawn camping, most people are a bit gash at this. :)

Board game: got one of the very first copies of a deck-building game called Legendary Encounters: Alien yesterday. It's a card game, narrative focus, based on playing through the Alien movies. I put a few words on it, over on the EG boardgames thread. It is, quite simply, astonishingly good and the best use of the franchise since Cameron's sequel in the '80s.

Speaking of EG, whilst I don't frequent very often, from what I can make out, Dan Whitehead is on the receiving end of handjobs from Zoe Quinn... and a couple of twats I've never heard of are convinced I'm a sock account of... someone else I've never heard of. Kids, eh?
#692 at 18:34:41 - 30/08/2014
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Comments:43
AATG Pts:75
Star Rating
I should give SE3 another pop soon.

Back in Budapest from England for a few last days of holiday so I just caned Wolfenstein to completion - thoroughly enjoyable stuff and recommended if you see it going cheap at some point. It's has been a while since I've played a robust single player FPS and enjoyed it as much as I did Wolfenstein.

That's probably what inspired me to download Metro Redux; a silly move really seeing as I had both on 360 and liked both but failed to complete either.
#693 at 12:45:49 - 31/08/2014
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
repairmanjack said:
Board game: got one of the very first copies of a deck-building game called Legendary Encounters: Alien yesterday. It's a card game, narrative focus, based on playing through the Alien movies. I put a few words on it, over on the EG boardgames thread. It is, quite simply, astonishingly good and the best use of the franchise since Cameron's sequel in the '80s.

I read your thoughts on that (I lurk the EG boardgames thread) - it seems really intriguing. I've not really any experience with deck-building games; I picked up Arctic Scavengers when it was going very cheap a few months ago.

I see you also grabbed a copy of Betrayal at House on the Hill - I've been trying to get that for more than a year, and have had in stock notifications set to various stores - I finally got it too a couple a couple of weeks ago and had it shipped to Budapest. Looking forward to my one mate who also enjoys boardgames returning so we can try it out (though I realise you need 3 minimum).
#694 at 12:49:52 - 31/08/2014
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I'd just like to point out to the rest of you that, just because Flex and I like a board game it doesn't mean it sucks, ok?

Flex, Betrayal works fine with two, if you follow one simple variant: each of you plays two characters. When the betrayal/haunt begins the person who is the traitor gives his other hero character to the other player, so one of you ends up controlling three. It's recommended on boardgamegeek, and it works perfectly. The game loses nothing.

Arctic Scavenegers is in interesting one; I've had it a while (again it works better with more than two) but it feels a little overrated to me. ShutUpandSitDown went nuts for it - but they don't always have a barometer for restraint or perspective. They've peed on a couple of games which are genuinely fantastic. There's occasionally a whiff of hipster bullshit with them - although I'm a fan.

They were right about Tales of the Arabian Nights though.

And, whilst I'm recommending, if you haven't looked at it, look at Eldritch Horror. Brilliant adventure in the Lovecraft universe. It's easy to play and richly thematic. One of the surprises of the year.

I'm not sure exactly how I fell into board gaming so heavily, but it's fantastic right now. The lack of innovation in video games isn't mirrored there.

They can be bloody expensive if you're not careful though.
#695 at 13:17:23 - 31/08/2014
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
Great tip for Betrayal - I can see it working that way. I have had a go solo, though I stopped at the Haunt. I know the game gets some stick for the mundane pre-Haunt phase, but I'm a sucker for the theme and modular boards so even that was quite engrossing.

I love Shut up and Sit Down - one of my favourite recently discovered sites; I find their approach and enthusiasm for the medium infectious. I haven't got the breadth of experience you have with board games so I've not yet had much reason to challenge any reviews though I disagree on the appraisal of Betrayal based on my experience so far.

Thanks for the Eldritch Horror recommendation - I've almost bought it a few times but have wondered how it is solo (any thoughts?). My Lovecraft itch is currently only scratched by Elder Sign, which I love but don't play that often - also one of my favourite gaming experiences, when four of us won on the last roll.
#696 at 13:26:31 - 31/08/2014
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Eldritch Horror is one of the best solo games I have; I play two (sometimes three) characters. Like any co-op, it's perfectly playable with one - and many of them scale so that you can play as one character. The only knock I have against it is that it stops me getting the meatier Arkham Horror to the table - one of my all time favourites. That's a bit more finicky and complex.

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island is another amazing co-op game, if you want to lure in family members wi something more recognisably real world.

Jasmin and I have just discovered Blue Moon Legends - a two-player card game. It might just be the best two player game I've ever seen. Really smart design.

I have Elder Sign and its expansion (the app is also fantastic). It's quite well done, but it pales next to EH. If you like that, at all, EH should blow you away.
#697 at 14:31:35 - 31/08/2014
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
Very tempting then. I don't think I have the stomach for Arkham Horror; it just seems far too involved for a more casual board gamer such as myself.

I'll definitely look into the other suggestions, cheers.
#698 at 16:58:52 - 31/08/2014
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Currently playing The Crew beta. Pleasantly surprised that my gaming PC can actually run it fairly decently, but maaaan do I need an SSD in there!

It's like the best bits of Midnight Club LA and TDU 2 combined. Thumbs up from me.
#699 at 10:50:34 - 01/09/2014
Binky
Flag
Comments:160
Thread Kills:33(2%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Diablo 3 RoS Xbox One!

Never thought it would be the sort of game for me, but I can't stop playing it. Nearing the end of Act 2 now (I think) and even wifey has created a character and is smashing monsters to bits. Somewhat... compelling.
#700 at 09:53:19 - 02/09/2014
evilashchris
Flag
Comments:591
Thread Kills:53(2%)
AATG Pts:200
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I have a problem on the PC version, put some silly hours into it.
#701 at 11:53:46 - 02/09/2014
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I finished Episode 4 of The Walking Dead: Season 2 this morning.

While Telltale could definitely do a better job technically (it freezes and stutters all too frequently), it's a brilliant story. Totally engaging with a huge amount of empathy with the characters and their struggles.

I'm only disapointed that Episode 5 hasn't shown up on PS Vita yet :(
#702 at 13:31:48 - 02/09/2014
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
Metro 2033 Redux - finished it at the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it; its not great when you get spammed by mutants, but otherwise I think the gameplay is solid (better when approached stealthily, or with certain weapons e.g. the Hellblast). In terms of atmosphere and mood it really, really shines, and I'm looking forward to getting stuck into Last Light. The Redux package is great value.

Dark Souls 2: the new DLC. Ugh. I'm a diehard but I've struggled to muster a huge amount of enthusiasm for this. It's just spamming me with mobs between bonfires and, yes, that gets fucking old. Taking on a single enemy is as pleasurable and tactical as always, so, From Team B: quit making me climb down a ladder into a small room with five of the fuckers, you silly bastards. Of course, it doesn't help that I've started the DLC with a bonfire intensity of 3, but I am about level 5 bloody billion; I think the issue is inherent to the design / enemy placement - designed to suck the fun out it. Silly.
#703 at 19:03:41 - 08/09/2014
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Started DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havok on PS Via this morning. Only about 5 minutes in so not enough to form an opinion, but looking forward to getting stuck in.

Now that I've finished Bioshock Infinite, I'm going for the final ending on Fallout: New Vegas and will maybe mop up a few trophies - hey, I may even learn to play Caravan! I'm also enjoying the simple pleasures of Need For Speed: Most Wanted - just fun blasting around the city and trying to beat everyone's jump records :)
#704 at 13:54:58 - 09/09/2014
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Finally polished off "The Last of Us" on PS4 so that'll make the third playthrough. Overall, very enjoyable revisiting that gameworld and though all of the plot lines feel like they fizzle out a bit once you've seen them a few times, it still felt like a very tight and improved gaming experience. One thing I did pick up on this last play through was how you really do need to make every shot, and every special weapon bonus, count in the final stages. I'd basically saved up just about all the high-end stuff till the final battles and just whipped through them in no time at all. I remember being stuck there for weeks originally.

One of those games that you'll probably go back to in a few years just for the experience.

Time to move onto something new!
#705 at 11:19:44 - 17/09/2014
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
Star Rating
Silver Medal
peej said:One thing I did pick up on this last play through was how you really do need to make every shot, and every special weapon bonus, count in the final stages. I'd basically saved up just about all the high-end stuff till the final battles and just whipped through them in no time at all.

You didn't learn this nearly twenty years ago in Resident Evil? :p
#706 at 04:11:44 - 18/09/2014
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Flying_Pig said:Started DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havok on PS Via this morning. Only about 5 minutes in so not enough to form an opinion, but looking forward to getting stuck in.

Over the last 9 days I've put more than 20 hours into DanganRonpa and have absolutely loved it. The mixture of 999/Virtue's Last Reward and Phoenix Wright is top notch, with a great (bonkers) story and interesting characters.

Cracking.

I've also finally, finally finished Fallout: New Vegas - I enjoyed the last (Yes Man) ending, but have had enough of it now. Still, a current gen Fallout would be awesome!

Next up: Beyond: Two Souls :)
#707 at 13:32:24 - 18/09/2014
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I dusted off Split/Second over the weekend, for some fun arcade-y racing with my kids. Sadly, my previous save seems to have been lost when my last PS3 when pop, which is a shame...

Still, after downloading a ton of updated, we got to having a few races - the action is as fast and frantic as I remembered and the set-pieces are top-notch. That said, in places the game looks extremely rough - jaggies everywhere!

I may use S/S to scratch my racer itch FTB - I quote like the idea of working my way through the career section again...
#708 at 13:16:07 - 22/09/2014
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I loved Split/Second and Blur. Real shame both of those died a horrible death and announced the death of their respective studios.

I'm just imagining in my head what Bizarre Creations and Black Rock would've done with PS4 hardware and it's making me dribble slightly.
#709 at 17:55:55 - 23/09/2014
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Well, just play Forza Horizon 2 next week!
#710 at 22:53:38 - 23/09/2014
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
peej said:I loved Split/Second and Blur. Real shame both of those died a horrible death and announced the death of their respective studios.

I'm just imagining in my head what Bizarre Creations and Black Rock would've done with PS4 hardware and it's making me dribble slightly.

This! How awesome would Split/Second look on current-gen hardware!

This week I've also been playing Beyond Two Souls - very much along similar lines to Heavy Rain in terms of controls, but the characters looks a whole lot more real - it's definitely an amazing looking game.

Cracking story too (so far)...
#711 at 14:01:54 - 24/09/2014
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Much as I loved Forza Horizon on Xbox, the lure of both Blur and Split Second was having closed tracks - which I reckon allowed both teams (Bizarre Creations and Black Rock Studios) to pour it on with the detail and track design. Great as any free-roaming game can be, I'd still love to see a developer go back to the old Burnout model of keeping track design tight, smaller perhaps but easy to learn with a few twists and turns and shortcuts here and there.

Now have a real burning desire to go back and play both now.
#712 at 20:58:44 - 24/09/2014
Ace Grace
Flag
Comments:95
Thread Kills:24(6%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I was playing Destiny then realised it is all fur coat and no knickers.

Trading it in today.
#713 at 10:11:14 - 25/09/2014
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:175
Thread Kills:38(2%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Don't know if anyone else has been looking forward to The Vanishing of Ethan Carter but it's now available on Steam - you can find out more at the game website here.

The studio behind it, The Astronauts, was previously People Can Fly (Painkiller/Bulletstorm). They describe it as a first person mystery/action game, from what I've read in previews it has some really nice ideas and it's a very nice-looking title so worth a punt if anyone's looking for something a different to play this weekend. It's also coming for consoles at some point, I believe.
#714 at 15:45:02 - 26/09/2014
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:175
Thread Kills:38(2%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Silver Medal
First impressions of The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - my 2013 iMac is sod all use for playing modern PC titles. I'm pretty sure that low quality settings at 1600x1050, with no texture filtering, no vsyncing and no antialiasing is not the way the game was intended to be played. :) This is why I usually stick with consoles!

Anyway, it's pretty intriguing so far - the interactions are really well done, with objects and points of interest 'emitting' text clues as you investigate them (think the way that the recent TV Sherlock depicts his thought processes and you'll be along the right lines). Doesn't take long to build up an atmosphere either. Script and voice acting seem good, even if the setting is a little hackneyed (gruff voiced American exploring remote town in mountainous wilderness).
#715 at 21:48:53 - 26/09/2014
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Hot damn, forgot that was out this week. Has always stood out as one of the most interesting titles in development over the last few months imo, will have to grab it when I've got a couple of days off.
#716 at 09:45:44 - 27/09/2014
Bremenacht
Flag
Comments:38
Thread Kills:7(5%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Ace Grace said:I was playing Destiny then realised it is all fur coat and no knickers.

Trading it in today.

Fur coat and no knickers sounds great to me!
#717 at 21:22:58 - 28/09/2014
Bremenacht
Flag
Comments:38
Thread Kills:7(5%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
I've finally clicked with Risk of Rain. I'd forgotten what made me stick it on the wish list in the first place, so it was nice to have to work out what I had to do for myself.

It really is a hoarders nightmare. Every hoarding instinct works against you and finishes the game more quickly than getting a move on.
#718 at 21:26:06 - 28/09/2014
HairyArse
Flag
Comments:1774
Thread Kills:127(2%)
AATG Pts:350
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Trying to finish Wolfenstein. It's right enough but the story is bobbins and I have no idea what is going on.
#719 at 23:06:07 - 29/09/2014
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Finished DanganRonpa Trigger Happy Havoc last night, so killing time with Velocity 2X until Futuridium arrives on Wednesday :)
#720 at 10:56:07 - 30/09/2014

home
Left 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 Right