Author Reply
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Just put Dark Souls 2 on for a thirty minute quick look... three hours ago.

/gibber
#571 at 02:30:43 - 14/03/2014
Syrok
Flag
Comments:452
Thread Kills:81(2%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
How are you finding it so far, then?
#572 at 16:19:19 - 14/03/2014
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Why the fuck do we have a "reset" button? Argh!!!

Three paragraph do over: it's great.
#573 at 19:07:10 - 14/03/2014
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Comments:43
Thread Kills:25(2%)
AATG Pts:75
Star Rating
So, so good.
#574 at 21:53:46 - 14/03/2014
Kay
Flag
Comments:342
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:160
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Impressions seem to be very positive all round and I'm glad to hear that, as I had a feeling they might just screw it up.

Not that the original DS was perfect, mind, just thought the sequel would take it too far the other way (not necessarily in terms of difficulty, more in terms of making it simpler and generic). But all the changes sound very good to me - even the limited respawns, if it means less of a focus on grinding for souls.

My copy should be arriving tomorrow so will be giving it a crack myself this weekend.
#575 at 01:23:06 - 15/03/2014
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
Yes, it's more of the same - so if the same is a good thing (for me, a great thing), then it's wonderful. I'm playing like a total chump at the moment though and have already lost a few thousand souls....which worries me considering you can't farm indefinitely (enemies stop spawning after a while).
#576 at 10:14:09 - 15/03/2014
billdoor
Flag
Comments:183
Thread Kills:157(4%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright. No idea what I'm doing, never played either franchise before :D
#577 at 09:05:42 - 18/03/2014
Bremenacht
Flag
Comments:38
Thread Kills:7(5%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Candy Crush Saga. Can't leave the fucking thing alone.
#578 at 15:09:38 - 19/03/2014
billdoor
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Couple of hours of Yoshi's New Island on 3DS. Nowhere near as bad as the EG review lead me to believe.
#579 at 17:39:02 - 19/03/2014
HairyArse
Flag
Comments:1774
Thread Kills:127(2%)
AATG Pts:350
Star Rating
Gold Medal
repairmanjack said:Why the fuck do we have a "reset" button? Argh!!!

Three paragraph do over: it's great.

I could probably get rid of that couldn't I?
#580 at 19:03:11 - 19/03/2014
Flying_Pig
Flag
Comments:277
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Luftrausers - it's bloody brilliant.
#581 at 11:30:24 - 21/03/2014
Bremenacht
Flag
Star Rating
Tomb Raider on PSN+. It's not bad. The visuals are quite brilliant, with someone clearly having carefully studied Naughty Dog, with some smart 'camera work' thrown in. Gameplay seems to be straight from Uncharted too, with a load of collecting chucked in. Not done anything that'd qualify as a classic TR tomb yet, which sort of makes me think 'what was the point?' To do an Uncharted knock-off, with a franchise big enough not to be accused of being an Uncharted knock-off?

Still. It's developing nicely, albeit slowly.
#582 at 12:45:23 - 24/03/2014
billdoor
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I enjoyed Tomb Raider, completed it on Friday night, which makes it the first game I've "completed" since the days of the PS1. There could have been a bit more in the way of environmental puzzles and a bit less shooting but that seems to be the way things have been going with Tomb Raider for the last decade or so.

On to Arkham City now. Initial impressions are the controls and graphics aren't as good as Tomb Raider :-)
#583 at 15:13:57 - 24/03/2014
Bremenacht
Flag
Star Rating
I'm finding the shooting very irritating. Stuck with the bow, trying to aim while getting spammed with petrol bombs or dynamite, is not fun. I can see myself notching the difficulty down before the end.

Didn't enjoy the 'avoid spikes' bits either. :(

Apart from that - not bad!
#584 at 16:47:41 - 26/03/2014
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Picked up Fez last night. Been playing it on the Vita all morning. It's excellent.
#585 at 12:47:30 - 27/03/2014
Syrok
Flag
Comments:452
Thread Kills:81(2%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Bremenacht said:I'm finding the shooting very irritating. Stuck with the bow, trying to aim while getting spammed with petrol bombs or dynamite, is not fun. I can see myself notching the difficulty down before the end.

Didn't enjoy the 'avoid spikes' bits either. :(

Apart from that - not bad!

Do it. I find playing on easy makes almost any game better. :)
In this case, more health for you, less for the enemies and more forgiving QTEs.
#586 at 18:12:53 - 27/03/2014
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Following the recommendation of you lovely blokes on AATG, I've started Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed on the Vita.

It's surprisingly tough for a cutesy kart racer, but with a decent amount of variety. It looks great and plays really well. I am struggling to get the most out of drifting, but I think that's more to do with me than the game.

A perfect example of the value of a PS+ subscription. I'd probably have never bought it, but I'm really enjoying this so far.

Speaking of PS+, another game I've picked up for 'free' is The Cave, which I'm currently playing on PS3.

On the one hand it's a well thought through puzzler, with a vaguely amusing story. Unfortunately, for me, it's just lacking any real magic which makes me want to keep playing - particularly when you're meant to undertake multiple playthroughs to see everything...

I'll get it cleared off before I move on to Half-Life 2 :D
#587 at 10:22:15 - 11/04/2014
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:175
Thread Kills:38(2%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Regarding Sonic Racing - I just couldn't get on with the control systems. I can't remember the specifics but none of them were quite right, resulting in massive hand-cramp after only a couple of races. Wish Sony would either (a) mandate more flexible control options in Vita games or (b) let you play using a DualShock. :/
#588 at 11:34:38 - 11/04/2014
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
New games! (Also, unusually for me, not shit games!)

Seem to have got far better at Dark Souls 2, of late, and I'm now far further into this than either of the previous two titles - and in less time too.

I was given a copy of Diablo 3 for 360 last week... Yeah, it's become like crack; my first try of this series and I'm just (sickeningly) addicted to it. Got three or four characters on the go... I'm beginning to curse my clickathon OCD.

Traded some of the old, back of the cupboard stuff (including things I'd forgotten we owned). Not been in a Game store in a very long time, but came out with copies of Thief and Assassin's Creed 4 - two titles I've been very keen to get hold of.

Right, a new Trials game is out today. What the hell is going on with it? Firstly, £15.99!? It better be bloody good. Secondly, why are some people reporting buying disc copies over the Arcade version? Is this just a next-gen thing or is there two versions?

Because, you know, we need to fragment the player base more than the gen-split is. Holding off clicking buy until I'm sure I'm not getting a gimped version.
#589 at 13:23:02 - 16/04/2014
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Running out of steam with Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. It gets very grind-y; especially if you want to unlock everything...

I'm now looking forward to finishing it - moving on to either Lone Survivor or Dragon's Crown...
#590 at 13:27:20 - 16/04/2014
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Ok, first impressions of Thief are really positive!

Does it make much difference installing the game?
#591 at 13:37:52 - 16/04/2014
Espad
Flag
Comments:148
Thread Kills:20(1%)
AATG Pts:110
Star Rating
@RMJ the disc version of trials has the season pass bundled with it.
#592 at 18:14:24 - 16/04/2014
Bremenacht
Flag
Star Rating
Just finished 'Brothers'. What a beautiful game. Nothing groundbreaking to be found, but to me it felt 'next-gen' in terms of how it looked. Wonderful design.
#593 at 17:39:06 - 17/04/2014
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
Heading for the endgame in Dark Souls 2 - about 90 hours played, though I suspect 10+ of those hours involved idling by bonfires. I just finished off an optional boss who gave me well over 100 000 souls with some soul boosting items equipped. Name edited to remove potential mild spoilers!

I've decided before proceeding to the endgame that I'll hoover up as much as I can in preparation for NG+. Just re-specced my dexterity build to get some practice with the sorcery / miracles / hexes collected. That's the direction I'm planning on heading next playthrough; including the option to re-spec was a great idea.
#594 at 12:42:38 - 20/04/2014
Sillothian
Flag
Comments:127
Thread Kills:46(3%)
Star Rating
Silver Medal
LEGO Hobbit - PS4

No surprise to say I love this! It looks superb and sounds great thanks to use of the movie dialogue. Also the game gave me a much better appreciation of the quality of the two Hobbit films' score which had previously not clicked with me in same way as the LOTR music had.

The gameplay basically takes everything that was great about LEGO LOTR and expands on it. There are loads of side quests to occupy you while exploring the open world Middle Earth as well as the standard story levels that cover the events of the first two films. There definitely seems to be more interior locations to explore while in the open world than there was in LOTR. I think it will take quite a few hours to 100% this.

As with any new LEGO game there are a few new character abilities on show here but the biggest change is probably the resource system (which is a extension to the 'super build' system in LEGO City on the Wii U). Now when you smash up objects you'll get various types of resources (wood, gems, metals, rope, carrots!) as well as the ubiquitous studs. You will need combinations of these resources to build larger LEGO structures throughout the game. There are traders dotted around Middle Earth where you can swap resources to get just what you need rather than relying on random drops.

Overall this another fantastic LEGO game which have been coming thick and fast lately. As far as I am concerned the more LEGO games the merrier!

LEGO Hobbit - PS Vita

Yes I really do like LEGO games this much!

Actually this is my first Vita LEGO since TT Games changed direction with the development of their handheld titles. Normally you'd get a cut down version of the console game with smaller (and often missing) levels and a lot less characters on screen. The developers have now switched to an isometric viewpoint which allows for more detailed, interactive levels and many more characters on screen. Also each level has ten challenges for you to complete to earn gold bricks. You can't get them all first time through until you've unlocked all the characters. Some of these challenges are quite tough and they definitely give the game that 'one more go' appeal.

I was a bit sceptical about this change and gave both the Marvel and Movie Vita games a miss but I have to say that the new level design is a winner especially if you are double dipping on LEGO games like I do as you are now getting an almost completely different experience to the console version.

Obviously there is no open world Middle Earth to explore but this has been replaced by a Mario 3D World style map which covers you journey through Middle Earth. As well as linking the main story levels you also find paths to side quests and LEGO structures to be built using resources collected in the main game similar to the console game.

Presentation is spot on with full movie dialogue and music on show. Like the console versions there is loads to do in the Vita game and plenty of reasons to replay the game until you have unlocked everything it has to offer. Definitely worth getting even if you have the console version as this is almost completely different challenge.

LEGO City Undercover - Wii U

Actually this is how much I love LEGO games as I got a Wii U basically for this game! A month back Argos were doing a the LEGO City Premium bundle with the LEGO Movie game (which I hadn't yet bought) for £219 and I was tempted. I've also got Super Mario 3D World (which is class) and ZombiU (which I've yet to try).

Was LEGO City worth buying a console for? As Stone Cold Steve Austin would say 'hell yeah!'

This is definitely one of best open worlds that TT Games have created and while it may be dwarfed by the size of games like GTA V every inch of LEGO City is jammed packed with things to do. Plus you've got all the great story levels to play through too.

The game makes good use of the Wii U pad. For the most part you use it as your map, set waypoints and answer video calls. Most innovative use though is to scan LEGO City for bad guys and collectables. You hold the pad up to face the TV and on the tablet screen is wireframe view of the city. Tilt the pad to scan your surroundings for whatever you are after and they'll be highlighted on the map.

The story is very well written and very funny with loads of jokes and parodies of movies/tv cop shows. This is one of the best LEGO games and had it been multiplatform it would have been a massive hit. As it is you should all buy a Wii U to play it just like me!
#595 at 20:39:02 - 20/04/2014
Dragul
Flag
Comments:75
Thread Kills:47(6%)
Star Rating
billdoor said:I enjoyed Tomb Raider, completed it on Friday night, which makes it the first game I've "completed" since the days of the PS1. There could have been a bit more in the way of environmental puzzles and a bit less shooting but that seems to be the way things have been going with Tomb Raider for the last decade or so.

On to Arkham City now. Initial impressions are the controls and graphics aren't as good as Tomb Raider :-)

Really liking TR but it just feals like an Uncharted spin off.

Still have to finish RAGE, Spec Ops the Line, Sly 2 and a few more. If only my daughter would sleep bigger naps... :P
#596 at 01:57:53 - 21/04/2014
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Trials: Fusion. Yeah, wish I hadn't bothered. Graphical glitches, a dearth of content, no online multi, the trick system is fiddly and fucked beyond belief. Very poor outing and, for what they're charging out the gate, somebody should be out the door on this one.

Thief. I like it, a lot, but I'm continuously getting lost as the environment doesn't have quite the flavour and variety of the earlier games (I still love the last one). It took me forever to find a merchant, and there's actually not a lot you can accomplish when you're empty handed. I love the way you interact with the environment - nice to have a sensation of a character actually involving himself with the world and it's minutiae.

Assassin's Creed: Black Flag. This, on the other hand, is just bloody sensational. I can't fault it: I've spent less than five minutes in the present day; likeable main character; the sailing is sublime; the whole world feels fresh. At times I get that same tingle I had when playing Meier's Pirates, all those years ago. Easily the best game in the series. (For my money, the original is the second best; fuck Ezio.)
#597 at 16:25:53 - 21/04/2014
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Half Life 2 (PS3)
Despite some advice not to, I felt I had to give the a go. I've done about an hour and a half so far, and liking it. Some of the mechanics are very clumsy (moving blocks) and it looks pretty rough in places, but the shooting is solid and so far it feels a touch more intellectual than your average FPS.

Also started No More Heroes on Vita this morning. So far seems to be decent fun and a great example of Free-to-play done right. (So much so, the game actually pokes fun at its FTP structure.)
#598 at 16:45:38 - 21/04/2014
Dragul
Flag
Comments:75
Thread Kills:47(6%)
Star Rating
repairmanjack said:

Assassin's Creed: Black Flag. This, on the other hand, is just bloody sensational. I can't fault it: I've spent less than five minutes in the present day; likeable main character; the sailing is sublime; the whole world feels fresh. At times I get that same tingle I had when playing Meier's Pirates, all those years ago. Easily the best game in the series. (For my money, the original is the second best; fuck Ezio.)

Funny you say that, me and some friends were talking about ACIV the other day and did exactly the same comparassion.

Really would like to see Firaxis (that has done a good job recreating XCOM) take a new stab at Pirates! and Black Flag as proven that it's possible and would work a good pirate game.
#599 at 17:11:14 - 21/04/2014
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I've also played The Room 2 this weekend. Got it as part of the latest Humble Android Bundle.

If you enjoyed the original, this sequel is excellent, a real positive and logical development of the series, which takes nothing away from what made the original so good.

Definitely recommended.
#600 at 22:53:09 - 21/04/2014

home
Left 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 Right