Flying_Pig
Flag
Comments:277
Thread Kills:25(2%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Grid 2 - it's a bit good isn't it?

Possibly the best racer since the original Grid - fast, frantic racing.
#511 at 22:45:28 - 04/01/2014
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Just spent eighteen hours getting to the end of the story mode in Lost Planet 3. Nice that someone went back to the story/single-player element after the curiosity of 2. This has had all kinds of bad press, but I have to say I really enjoyed it.

The original's multiplayer was one of my favourite things on Live for many years. It still has an active community. The online portion of this one has three people playing... One of whom constantly kicks me from the game as I shot him. Once.

Cunt.

Anyway, this has terrific atmosphere, and I enjoyed every minute of it. It's no Last of Us, but it's nice to see so much emphasis on character here. I was a bit gutted when it ended. Might have to go back to the original's online component to keep the buzz going.

Flex, you'd appreciate the SP on this, I think.
#512 at 14:52:35 - 05/01/2014
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:464(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Bit more on Killzone PS4. Knew it was going too well and I was loving it too much - there had to be one bit in the game that was a completely retarded design decision didn't there (there was in most of the previous Killzone offerings)

This time it's...

SPOILERS AHEAD

...the bit where you're free-falling through a ruined cityscape after it's been levelled, and you're cruising between falling buildings. I think it took me about 20 attempts before I made it through by the skin of my teeth. Really hateful controls and checkpointing on that bit (in fact checkpointing in general is pretty fucking horrible, are we still at the point where developers set a checkpoint BEFORE a big rambling speech by an NPC?)

At least there's no QT in it so far.
#513 at 12:51:51 - 06/01/2014
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Injustice: Gods Among Us.

A few two-player games with my brother, which took me right back to our game sessions of childhood (Streetfighter, et al).

So, yeah, he beat the living shit out of me.

Just not gelling with this game, it's seriously inferior to Mortal Kombat, and the story (surely even if you're a fan of the universe) is utter bollocks. A couple of nice mechanical additions don't save what is a fairly dull affair. Really misses the X-ray violence too.
#514 at 10:47:47 - 10/01/2014
Syrok
Flag
Comments:452
Thread Kills:81(2%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Started Borderlands 2 the other day. I'll probably not finish it. It's really not my kind of game. I'm getting no sense of progression from it, the story seems to be a sidenote and the world looks basically the same. Some good lines though.

Also started DMC, which I'm enjoying quite a bit so far. Dante is a cool character.
#515 at 11:47:44 - 10/01/2014
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Syrok said:Started Borderlands 2 the other day. I'll probably not finish it. It's really not my kind of game. I'm getting no sense of progression from it, the story seems to be a sidenote and the world looks basically the same. Some good lines though.

How far in are you? It all really opens up once you get to Sanctuary.

I've not yet finished all of the DLC, but I love BL2
#516 at 13:21:59 - 11/01/2014
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Comments:43
AATG Pts:75
Star Rating
repairmanjack said:Just spent eighteen hours getting to the end of the story mode in Lost Planet 3. Nice that someone went back to the story/single-player element after the curiosity of 2. This has had all kinds of bad press, but I have to say I really enjoyed it.

The original's multiplayer was one of my favourite things on Live for many years. It still has an active community. The online portion of this one has three people playing... One of whom constantly kicks me from the game as I shot him. Once.

Cunt.

Anyway, this has terrific atmosphere, and I enjoyed every minute of it. It's no Last of Us, but it's nice to see so much emphasis on character here. I was a bit gutted when it ended. Might have to go back to the original's online component to keep the buzz going.

Flex, you'd appreciate the SP on this, I think.

I've been thinking about checking it out - a couple of reviewers whose opinions I tend to respect said good things about it; exactly what you are saying.

Not played much for the last 3 weeks as I was in the UK. Back in Budapest now and plenty to finish off still before I can justify even thinking of a PS4.
#517 at 13:33:02 - 11/01/2014
Syrok
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Flying_Pig said:
Syrok said:Started Borderlands 2 the other day. I'll probably not finish it. It's really not my kind of game. I'm getting no sense of progression from it, the story seems to be a sidenote and the world looks basically the same. Some good lines though.

How far in are you? It all really opens up once you get to Sanctuary.

I've not yet finished all of the DLC, but I love BL2

Rescued Roland and did a few side missions after that. One of the side missions where I had to help some fire shaman had me walking back and forth for ages. That's where I have stopped playing now.
#518 at 13:41:29 - 11/01/2014
HairyArse
Flag
Comments:1774
Thread Kills:127(2%)
AATG Pts:350
Star Rating
Gold Medal
After 38 hours, today I finally completed FTL.

FUCK YOU. SO WHAT IF IT WAS ON EASY.
#519 at 20:20:59 - 11/01/2014
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Had my first experience of MineCraft last night - playing the PS3 demo. It probably doesn't help that I've been playing Terraria non-stop for the past few weeks, but the while look of MC is pretty horrible, and it feels like the field of view is way too narrow!

Still, there's something oddly compelling about it, and from my brief play, it's much more exploration focussed than Terraria...?
#520 at 11:50:11 - 12/01/2014
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
MUST. NOT BUY MINECRAFT. AGAIN. GNNN!

Tempting though. Once Minecraft gets its hooks into you, it's horribly addictive - though I must admit a lot of my fascination with it comes from it being one of the few games I can play with my daughter that isn't horrible or distressing (and she can get on with the controls fairly easily too, bonus).

Since the Xbox 360 got parked, I stumped up the 17 for the PC version and I'd seriously advise anyone to do that before looking at the console versions. It's mind-blowingly huge when you open up a new world with a couple of clever seeds in it, and realise that you're going to be there for weeks to come chipping away at it.

Terraria is great but Minecraft is still the daddeh IMHO. Hoping the arrival of the PS3 version is the precursor to it appearing on PS4 eventually, with a version a bit closer to the PC versh.
#521 at 17:43:52 - 13/01/2014
Binky
Flag
Comments:160
Thread Kills:33(2%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Psstt, you know it's coming to your PSVita, right? ;)

/enabler
#522 at 09:35:19 - 14/01/2014
Ace Grace
Flag
Comments:95
Thread Kills:24(6%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Been playing Knack.

Not as good as Ratchet and Clank but keeping me entertained.
#523 at 10:08:05 - 14/01/2014
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Binky said:Psstt, you know it's coming to your PSVita, right? ;)

/enabler

That's what I'm holding out for...

@Ace Grace - Not that I've played it, but Knack strikes me as a 'not as bad as the reviews suggest', but something which will be long forgotten in 12 months time.
#524 at 10:12:30 - 14/01/2014
Bremenacht
Flag
Comments:38
Thread Kills:7(5%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
HairyArse said:After 38 hours, today I finally completed FTL.

FUCK YOU. SO WHAT IF IT WAS ON EASY.

I'm not sure I've ever completed it on normal. I still play it now and then, to try and unlock a new ship or whatever.

Currently playing Enemy Within, to the detriment of every other game. Love it. It's just started fucking with me though, the bastard. Nailed-on shots missing; comedies of alien encounters etc. And being stuck up SsPeOcItLoEpRod creek without a plasma paddle.
#525 at 14:53:38 - 14/01/2014
Ace Grace
Flag
Comments:95
Thread Kills:24(6%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
@Flying Pig.

Finished it last night.

It isn't bad at all. I do agree with the critisms in the reviews about repetitive gameplay but the story was moderately entertaining and it is a nice graphic showcase for the PS4 but it is more subtle than something like Killzone. The lighting, particles, draw distances etc..
#526 at 10:45:41 - 15/01/2014
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Somewhat improbably, I'm playing Arcania: Gothic 4 - which is in this week's sale on the 360. Picked it up for less than a fiver. At first I found it horrendously janky and wasn't sure I'd carry on.

Ten hours later, it's scratching my Two Worlds itch. :D

Really enjoying it now. Despite the budget and frequent mediocrity, the designer really has a great sense of pace with gear rewards - and the quest conversations are altered if you've already fulfilled an obligation before getting the quest. Makes you realise how dumb it is that so many big releases don't do that.

Yeah, flex... etc. :)
#527 at 10:38:58 - 18/01/2014
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Comments:43
AATG Pts:75
Star Rating
No. No! Lines must be drawn. I do have some standards. Ahem.

I didn't like the demo when I played it back in the day. But less than a fiver....?

I've been playing Soul Sacrifice on the vita. 'Salright. Some nice conceptual elements to it but it's not overwhelming in terms of "fun" sadly. Glad I didn't pay for it.
#528 at 11:34:39 - 18/01/2014
Sillothian
Flag
Comments:127
Thread Kills:46(3%)
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Euro Truck Simulator 2 - PC

I've actually got a few games on the go at the moment but I keep getting drawn back to ETS2. I don't quite know why I enjoy transporting goods between various European cities but I do! The game looks great, has a lovely lighting model (including a full day/night cycle) and the weather effects are impressive. I've been playing it for over 10 hours so far and have just been doing random jobs. I haven't yet bought my own truck or expanding my transport business by hiring other drivers. Another thing I need to try is the modding scene as there are loads of new destinations and trucks available to download.

This is definitely the sort of game you will either love or find utterly pointless. Luckily there is a demo on Steam and I'd encourage you all to give it a try.
#529 at 11:40:18 - 18/01/2014
Syrok
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Mass Effect 2 aka space miner

Spend a good two hours yesterday sending probes to random planets to see one of four numbers rise. Time well spent.

I'm enjoying it more than Mass Effect 3 for it's more varied and less streamlined. The latter would probably not be a good thing in most cases, but I find it makes this game comparatively more interesting than 3.

It's pretty likely that I will buy the next Mass Effect game. I'm glad ME3 was free on PS Plus at some point. Otherwise I would never have tried this series and found out that it is about so much more than just shooting aliens in the face.
#530 at 16:21:16 - 18/01/2014
evilashchris
Flag
Comments:591
Thread Kills:53(2%)
AATG Pts:200
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Wonderful 101 is bonkers-good! A proper game at last :D
#531 at 16:55:22 - 24/01/2014
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Finally started The Last of Us this weekend.

Within the first 30 minutes I knew it would be a stunning game and so far haven't been disappointed.

It's definitely a step forward from Uncharted 3 - both graphically and quality of the story/gameplay. Combat feels much more impactful and less 'Hollywood' than the Uncharted games. It has much more of a kill or be killed feel to it.
I can't believe I haven't played this before
#532 at 12:56:31 - 03/02/2014
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
It's ace to vicariously imagine what it's like encountering games you've known and loved for ages through the eyes of someone who's just finding 'em for the first time. Agreed on all the points made, the game's doubly impressive if you dig out the graphic novels to fill in some of the backstories (Ellie's backstory is arse-kickingly good and Faith Erin Hicks did a brilliant job with the GN).

I picked up "The Art of the Last of Us" (had a digital copy but really wanted the sumptuous print book) and that's also worth digging into, to see how the characters evolved.

Such a great game. I really can't imagine what Naughty Dog are going to do once they start turning their gaze to the PS4 but I know it's going to blow us all away.
#533 at 15:02:27 - 03/02/2014
kentmonkey
Flag
Comments:292
Thread Kills:54(3%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
GTA V

Hot on the heels of the Last of Us (which, I appear to have missed something with, as I picked up loads of the graphic novels but didn't know that there was a way of 'reading' them. I seemed to only get the front and rear covers when I tried to look) and...it's not clicking.

It feels like I'm controlling a tank rather than a person, the missions are bland and repepitive and nobody, but nobody, is likeable. Not even in a rogueish sort of way. They're just cretins. 10 hours in and about to abort.
#534 at 15:58:29 - 03/02/2014
Syrok
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Have you encountered any Strangers and Freaks missions, yet? They were my favourite missions in the game since they are rather more creative than the normal story missions.
#535 at 16:22:03 - 03/02/2014
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
peej said:It's ace to vicariously imagine what it's like encountering games you've known and loved for ages through the eyes of someone who's just finding 'em for the first time. Agreed on all the points made, the game's doubly impressive if you dig out the graphic novels to fill in some of the backstories (Ellie's backstory is arse-kickingly good and Faith Erin Hicks did a brilliant job with the GN).

I picked up "The Art of the Last of Us" (had a digital copy but really wanted the sumptuous print book) and that's also worth digging into, to see how the characters evolved.

Such a great game. I really can't imagine what Naughty Dog are going to do once they start turning their gaze to the PS4 but I know it's going to blow us all away.

I can definitely see myself exploring TLOU further once I've completed the game and imminent Story DLC - just keen to avoid spoilers at this stage :)
#536 at 10:47:24 - 04/02/2014
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
On the playlist at the moment. Still working through Ass Creed Black Flag. On that last really tricky bit on Killzone, and the Vita is getting a bit of love with Modnation Racers (which isn't quite as bloody horrible as I thought it would be).

Firing the PS3 up later for Metro 2033. Never played the previous game so it'll be good to see if this is nice and gritty like I expect it to be.
#537 at 16:18:28 - 04/02/2014
Binky
Flag
Comments:160
Thread Kills:33(2%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I have a few things on the go at the moment.
First the consistent beast that is FIFA 14 (XbOne) where coop live matches still bring some of my favourite gaming moments of the past 2 years.

On Vita I'm currently digging into Muramasa Rebirth which after 2 hours of, I'm already a bit bored. It looks fantastic in the art department but the repetitive nature of the combat (on normal difficulty) and the back tracking of environments is wearing thin, quickly.

I also picked up Final Fantasy VII in the FF sale on PSN. I think I've played that for 2 hours now and whilst it feels a bit clunky and looks the pits (from a character design perspective - the backgrounds look great!) it's certainly got my attention. For 3 I couldn't resist finally taking a look at the game that ruled the world in 1997(ish).
#538 at 09:45:07 - 05/02/2014
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Flying_Pig said:Finally started The Last of Us this weekend.

Within the first 30 minutes I knew it would be a stunning game and so far haven't been disappointed.

It's definitely a step forward from Uncharted 3 - both graphically and quality of the story/gameplay. Combat feels much more impactful and less 'Hollywood' than the Uncharted games. It has much more of a kill or be killed feel to it.
I can't believe I haven't played this before

Another session last night and my first proper confrontation with the 'infected'. Wow - a properly challenging adversary and a far cry from the identi-kit masses from Uncharted. Even taking on 3 or 4 is a real challenge.

It's certainly a more intense game than I was expecting. I needed 30 minutes of NFS: Most Wanted after playing this, just for a bit of brainless fun :)
#539 at 16:43:39 - 07/02/2014
Sillothian
Flag
Comments:127
Thread Kills:46(3%)
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Killzone Shadow Fall

Looks and sounds stunning. Has some great level design which is complimented by the excellent enemy ai. The combat situations are really intense and very rewarding to play. This takes everything that Killzone 2, 3 and Mercenaries did well and improves on it. Highly recommended for fans of the franchise.

Like peej said earlier in the thread there are a couple of free-fall sections which are very poorly implemented and should really just be cut-scenes as they add nothing but frustration to the game. Also the main character is at least a foot shorter than everybody else!

Gran Turismo 6

I definitely have my new favourite driving game of all time. It looks lovely at 1080p and I've had no framerate problems using the chase-cam view. The variable time of day lighting and the rain not only add to the look of the game but also produce some great racing. Car handling is top notch as ever and the ai is competitive without be overly aggressive. Where GT6 really excels though is in the number and quality of the courses on offer. Brands Hatch should be in every driving game period as it is a joy to race around! I think the huge variety of tracks and cars means that this is first GT in which I've never got to the stage where I feel the career mode has become a grind.

A recommended purchase for any driving game fan.
#540 at 23:30:58 - 07/02/2014

home
Left 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 Right