What's everyone playing at the moment?

Author Reply
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Comments:43
Thread Kills:25(2%)
AATG Pts:75
Star Rating
Got the shortcut to the temple in Spelunky. Surely the game is impossible to complete without this as the temple is incredibly tough.

Diablo 3 - not massively inspired yet, but fun enough.

GTAV - feeling a bit overwhelmed...what should I do? So far target practice and then a bit of a wander to some lake; I need some proper time with it, but it seems like it will be pretty amazing.

Killzone Mercenary - looks incredible, plays...okay.
#451 at 08:09:40 - 19/09/2013
Kay
Flag
Comments:342
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:160
Star Rating
Silver Medal
FlexibleFeline said:Got the shortcut to the temple in Spelunky. Surely the game is impossible to complete without this as the temple is incredibly tough.

The shortcuts are only really there to progress and learn the intricacies of each area, you're right in saying the game would be nigh-on impossible to complete otherwise. But the proper way is to learn all the areas and then try to complete the game from 1-1, which is what I'll be working on now (along with trying to find all the secret areas). :)

Aside from lots of Spelunky, also went back to Velocity Ultra, another fantastic portable game. Amazing how the game is always throwing up new ideas, and so much content in there too - I spent a good hour trying to complete all ten levels of a very tricky Thrust-like mini-game this morning.
#452 at 17:59:25 - 19/09/2013
Flying_Pig
Flag
Comments:277
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Started The Walking Dead (PS3) last night - finally. I've already played through Chapter 1 on iOS, but it was still great replaying it on the bigger screen.

Story line and character interaction is incredible. Really looking forward to Chapter 2!
#453 at 09:55:35 - 20/09/2013
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
Kay said:
FlexibleFeline said:Got the shortcut to the temple in Spelunky. Surely the game is impossible to complete without this as the temple is incredibly tough.

The shortcuts are only really there to progress and learn the intricacies of each area, you're right in saying the game would be nigh-on impossible to complete otherwise. But the proper way is to learn all the areas and then try to complete the game from 1-1, which is what I'll be working on now (along with trying to find all the secret areas). :)

Yes, you're right...my problem is I haven't cracked the temple yet at all. Far too many ways for me to carelessly throw my life away (because it is usually one's fault, that's the beauty of the game as you know....but having said that some of the layouts I get for the temple are dastardly). I've reached Olmec once. Grrr. Not going to stop til I finish this game!
#454 at 10:47:06 - 20/09/2013
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
The Walking Dead (PS3)

I'd played chapter 1 before on iOS and loved it, but thought it would be better on the bigger screen. And it is. I finished Chapter 2 last night and can't wait to crack on into 3.

So many twists and turns, but with tough decisions to make. I mean, I like Kenny but he's such an arse sometimes and I think that given time, I might get lucky with Lilly...

The downside is that I didn't really want to go out in the dark to put the bins out last night.....
#455 at 08:37:33 - 27/09/2013
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Fuck me - Chapter 3 of The Walking Dead is intense! Especially if you're a parent :(
#456 at 23:23:09 - 28/09/2013
oneiros
Flag
Comments:78
Thread Kills:41(3%)
AATG Pts:95
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I picked up Remember Me cheap a couple of weeks ago. Although it's a little formulaic and has some annoying flaws (chiefly, doors that lock behind you preventing you from returning to previous areas to look for collectibles), the actual world that Dontnod have built is remarkably engaging, and augmented in Helvetica Bold.
#457 at 08:34:15 - 29/09/2013
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Tinkering away with GTA, not surprisingly, but I'm finding more of my time being absorbed with Payday 2 on 360.

I really enjoyed the first, but found the PS3 pad was very finicky... Starbreeze seem to have answered my prayers and put the sequel out everywhere.

It's really dependent on playing with others if you don't want to grind mercilessly in SP. (The two AI buddies do nothing put heal you and shoot - which sounds fine until you realise that you're doing the donkey work of lugging cash bags, etc, around. Most people online are using mics, and there's a bit of a sense of power-levelling to get the better guns and gear, but the community seems alright, for a change.

One of those games with rough edges but that just seems to deliver a strangely compelling experience.

Hear that, flex? :)
#458 at 16:27:16 - 01/10/2013
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
You know me - I've been um-ing and ah-ing over it (nothing like rough diamond to attract, eh?) but it came out at the same time as Splinter Cell and Spies / Mercs was something I'd been waiting for. That was great, but then suffered from not being able to play with people you want to and can co-ordinate with online as hardcore nutjobs gave you one second in the game before popping you...so I stopped. Spies / Mercs was a total joy when you clicked with your team. Too rare an experience though.

I'd love to try out Payday 2 but want to the guarantee of at least being able to play a few times with people in my friend's list! I suspect GTA online is going to suck up most people's online time for a while...
#459 at 18:13:45 - 01/10/2013
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
Diablo 3 is actually pulling me in more than GTA at the moment - only, I think, because I'm so tired from work I want something that involves less concentration: click, click, loot, click, click, loot. But nothing does it better, really.
#460 at 18:16:18 - 01/10/2013
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
Also: Spelunky update - 2250+ deaths and still not beat Olmec. I've come close, so close.....can't stop playing this damn game on my vita. Killzone Mercenary has remained untouched.
#461 at 18:18:14 - 01/10/2013
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
FlexibleFeline said:Also: Spelunky update - 2250+ deaths and still not beat Olmec. I've come close, so close.....can't stop playing this damn game on my vita. Killzone Mercenary has remained untouched.

Wow - that's some serious dedication!!

I've been getting a bit frustrated with Killzone Mercenary - so I decided to give Urban Trials ( which I got for free on PS+) a go. And I've been really presently surprised. These kind of games aren't usually my kind of thing, but I've been playing it on and off all day and am enjoying it way more than I thought I would :)
#462 at 21:19:08 - 01/10/2013
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
I think that's the thing...the thing that aficionados of handheld gaming have known for years (the vita is my first): it's the short burst, compulsive as crack titles that work the best. I've got / had quite a few longer more involved games on my vita but they don't really get a look in. Spelunky etc all the way.

Just picked up Lone Survivor. Pretty intriguing so far. Definitely one for with headphones and in the dark, as it suggests.
#463 at 09:06:32 - 02/10/2013
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
And, oh, I tried GTA online last night: managed to create my character but then got stuck in some loading loop for 20 minutes. That's one to hold off on until they've sorted the servers, as Rockstar have warned.
#464 at 09:08:10 - 02/10/2013
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:175
Thread Kills:38(2%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Lordy. I noticed last night I'd just hit 80 hours on Skyrim. I realise that's a piffling play time compared to some, but it's very rare for me to play any game that long - I think I've only put more than that into a couple of Final Fantasy games (and maybe Mario Kart :)).

Nearing the end with Skyrim now though, I still really enjoy just wandering around, finding new unexplored corners of the map and delving into random caves and tombs that I find, but I've definitely reached the point where there's not really anything 'new' to find. I've still got plenty of quests left but find myself uninterested in completing them - I just have the main dragon quest that I've not finished which I'll probably do before hanging up my sword.
#465 at 09:53:14 - 02/10/2013
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
That's the point I really enjoyed in the 2 Fallout Games I've played. You're tough enough to take on pretty much anything, giving you the freedom to explore and delve into a Vault or abandoned building without too much risk...

I have Skyrim, but there's too much else to play first, including finishing my Fallout NV playthrough...

Ploughed through most of Chapter 4 of TWD yesterday. Brilliant stuff
#466 at 10:42:51 - 02/10/2013
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:175
Thread Kills:38(2%)
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Yeah, I remember doing the same in Fallout myself, just picking interesting-looking locations and knowing (reasonably well) that you'd be able to explore them without too much bother. I just wish the sodding dragons would stop randomly attacking me, but still.

I will be steering clear of RPGs for a while after this though, I think. I've got a massive list of games I want to play that Skyrim's been keeping me from.
#467 at 12:47:22 - 02/10/2013
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I picked up Transport Tycoon (iOS) and Pocket Trains (Android) last week and have been playing a bit of both over the weekend.

I'm certainly getting more from Pocket Trains that I did the Planes original - I know it's essentially a re-skin, but Trains feels a lot slicker and more refined.

TT is pretty much as I remember it, although I'm a tad confused as to why they've stuck to the old (pretty rough) graphics instead of giving a bit of a polish. Gameplay-wise - it's spot on - even down to your buses/truck/trains getting stuck if you make the route too complex.
#468 at 12:24:27 - 07/10/2013
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Fallout New Vegas - Old World Blues DLC

It's been more than a year since I was in the Mojave Wasteland, but loving the OWB DLC - brilliantly bonkers. I think I might finally finish this game (2 chunks of DLC and 2 endings of the main quest to go)
#469 at 11:01:01 - 13/10/2013
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Feels odd to have a little game time again. Picked up Injustice for £15, as I was a huge fan of the Mortal Kombat engine this team did. Yeah, not as good, but that's because most superheroes are an embarrassment, frankly. Story is wince-inducing (and not in the good way that MK was). They're made it easier to play (I think), but it's not what I'd call a refinement.

New Spinter Cell will be here in an hour (also paid £15). High hopes that'll I'll be playing it in the style of the earlier games. We'll see.

Just need Lost Planet 3 to hit my new magic price-point.

Seriously considering grabbing Brothers from XBLA. Looks like a one and done game, but I've always liked Starbreeze games.

Played about three hours of How to Survive yesterday... and bloody love it. Think I need to get back to State of Decay, too, if anyone's survived in my absence.

Fair bit o' boardgaming going on at the moment. Suspect my PS3 has died and have decided I won't be next-genning it for at least another year. (Maybe more).

Payday 2 continues to suck up what little free time I have.
#470 at 12:13:38 - 29/10/2013
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Well, new Splinter Cell, I'm happy to report is actually really good. A better entry in the series than we've seen in some time, and one of the more polished games the developers have put out in as long as I can remember.

Been playing it rather heavily and it's longer than anticipated. The last couple of levels have been pretty tough, but it feels far more like the games of old (i.e. I'm finding it bloody hard in places).

But... no Michael Ironside? For shame.

And I'm still enjoying How to Survive. Explored a couple of islands and really liking the survival schtick more than the combat. Interesting companion piece to State of Decay.
#471 at 12:29:09 - 01/11/2013
DMorgan
Flag
Comments:98
Thread Kills:7(4%)
Star Rating
Gold Medal
What are you playing it on? If you have it lying around after finishing it I might be up for borrowing it.

I'm on AC4 now, which I'm please to report is a MASSIVE improvement on AC3. Beyond that I'm having a play with Hearthstone and as always I'm trawling through the app store on iPad trying to find things worth my time.

I have a freebie of the new COD coming soon (prestige edition and everything), which is sort of funny as I don't even really rate CoD personally, not my sort of game. It was a giveaway prize though, not my first kickback ;)

Are you up for tackling a revew of How to Survive by the way? I was intending to, but it looks like I won't have the time now.
#472 at 12:46:04 - 01/11/2013
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I just finished Ratchet & Clank: Q Force (Vita) - I'd originally started it a few months ago, but parked it in favour of Spelunky and Killzone.

I quite liked it the second time around - once you get used to the rhythm of the attacks on your base and what triggers them, you're pretty much free to explore the rest of the levels at your leisure.

It's not a patch on a 'proper' R&C game, but it was a pretty reasonable diversion....

Currently torn between trying Soul Sacrifice again, or maybe giving StreetFighter X Tekken a go...
#473 at 13:51:14 - 01/11/2013
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Currently playing Arkham Origins. Definitely a case of "third game too many" - and it feels like it's cookie-cutting too many ideas (and even levels - some of the levels here are eerily familiar looking from both Arkham Asylum and City).

Some of the improvements (like having fairly early access to a decent set of kit with more added later) are welcome, some of the clunkiness in the map has actually got worse though.

All in all, it's a bit dull, Should've waited for a price drop, dang it.
#474 at 15:55:19 - 04/11/2013
DMorgan
Flag
Comments:98
Thread Kills:7(4%)
Star Rating
Gold Medal
peej said:Currently playing Arkham Origins...
All in all, it's a bit dull, Should've waited for a price drop, dang it.

Or you should have taken heed of my review ;)
#475 at 16:13:35 - 04/11/2013
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
repairmanjack said:Well, new Splinter Cell, I'm happy to report is actually really good. A better entry in the series than we've seen in some time, and one of the more polished games the developers have put out in as long as I can remember.

Been playing it rather heavily and it's longer than anticipated. The last couple of levels have been pretty tough, but it feels far more like the games of old (i.e. I'm finding it bloody hard in places).

But... no Michael Ironside? For shame.

And I'm still enjoying How to Survive. Explored a couple of islands and really liking the survival schtick more than the combat. Interesting companion piece to State of Decay.

Oh man, I'd love to do some of the SC co-op with you before Chrimbo if you have time and the desire to (especially but by no means restricted to those co-op only missions).
#476 at 17:11:54 - 04/11/2013
Whizzo
Flag
Comments:146
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:165
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I have apparently played 203 hours of GTA V according to Raptr, I wonder what I'll be playing tonight?

Oh more GTAO I guess.
#477 at 17:17:49 - 04/11/2013
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
Glad to hear AC4 is better than AC3, though to be honest I didn't play AC3, despite having loved AC2 and brotherhood. Put off by the reports of pacing / bloat / lack of excitement (make a barrel? No thanks...). Sad to hear about Arkham Origins though I've been struggling to muster enthusiasm - Asylum blew me away with its tight focus but City was loose and baggy and (while often great) less effective for it.

As for me...I've gone back to Skyrim, randomly, and it's been a great, immersive pleasure after a break of about 6/8 months. Still plenty to do, despite having put 100+ hours into it. Finishing off the expansions at the moment - the Morrowind flavourings of Dragonborn are a real joy for this Morrowind fanboy.

Also: Spelunky on my PS Spelunky (no point calling it anything else as that's what I play 90% of the time). Soooo cloooose to beating Olmec now. I can sense victory. I honestly must be the least competent person ever to persist with this game (3700 deaths and still no completion....)
#478 at 17:19:38 - 04/11/2013
dogmanstar
Flag
Comments:5
Thread Kills:0(0%)
AATG Pts:
Star Rating
Whizzo said:I have apparently played 203 hours of GTA V according to Raptr, I wonder what I'll be playing tonight?

Oh more GTAO I guess.

I really tried to get into GTAO, but I just couldn't do it. In theory I should have enjoyed it as I love multiplayer especially combined with persistent worlds and stats.

Trouble is I doubt I will have much time to return to GTAO. Maybe next year once the Christmas rush of new releases is over.

#479 at 00:14:48 - 05/11/2013
NewYork
Flag
Comments:1481
Thread Kills:105(2%)
AATG Pts:330
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

TERRIBLE camera
Ridiculous so-bad-it's-bad story
The set pieces are good, everything else is boring
Excellent soundtrack
Raiden's been uglified

It's... okay :/
#480 at 15:44:58 - 05/11/2013

home
Left 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 Right