#391 at 13:56:22 - 01/07/2013
Kay
Flag
Comments:342
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:160
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I really wish there was a demo for Hotline Miami. It certainly looks interesting but from what I've read of the controls it may end up being a frustrating chore to play for me.

Still, at 6.49 for cross-buy I may well bite anyway, when I've got less other stuff to play.
#392 at 18:52:03 - 01/07/2013
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:464(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Still churning through last month's awesome PS + goodies. Also replaying Uncharted 3...just because. Amazing how different Elena is between the two games. What on earth did they do to her bum? It's triangular!
#393 at 12:35:30 - 02/07/2013
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Completed Blood Dragon, just shy of the kill 25 dragons achievement. Yep, it was great fun in the end - mainly due to the insane script and Beihn's performance. Dont' need to see any more of it, but would like more stand alone stuff like this in future.

Grabbed the new Borderlands 2 dlc. Sounds like a really neat twist on the usual fare. We shall see.
#394 at 12:48:48 - 02/07/2013
Flying_Pig
Flag
Comments:277
Thread Kills:25(2%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Just to flag up that despite how it may look Rymdkapsel is excellent.

A very fresh take on the RTS genre.

I'm playing in as a Playstation Mobile title, but it's also apparently coming soon to Android and iOS.
#395 at 10:14:52 - 03/07/2013
blizeH
Flag
Comments:27
Thread Kills:30(4%)
AATG Pts:60
Star Rating
Cool art style, looking forward to the iPad version
#396 at 20:31:11 - 03/07/2013
Kay
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Just over halfway through The Last of Us, and it's a bit of a weird one for me. On the one hand, yes, the production values are amazing, the combat is brutal and tactical, the pacing is great and the writing, characterisation and voice-acting is all top-notch. It ticks all the right boxes for a AAA game, no doubt about that.

But, after 15 hours of playing, aside from the odd good bit, I'm still feeling a little "meh" about it all. Maybe it's because I'm fatigued on violent games and gunplay in general, and would have preferred something a little slower-paced and cerebral. Or maybe it's because the emphasis on just surviving, as opposed to killing enemies in style (although there is some of that on occasion) gives me little satisfaction.

It's the sort of game that would probably have blown me away about five years ago, but now it just all seems very by-the-numbers. Don't know if it's the game itself, or just me.
#397 at 13:05:10 - 08/07/2013
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Playing Waking Mars on my phone. Another quality game from the Humble Bundle - really enjoying the relatively sedate pace and mixture of exploration, platforming and puzzles.
#398 at 14:35:55 - 08/07/2013
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I'm starting to lose interest in Metro: Last Light. It's almost meandering (which is bizarre given it's linearity) and the story is utter bollocks this time - as is the telling of it. I was head-over-heels for the first one and still stand by every single word of the review, but this is starting to feel like a poor runner-up - influenced by too much pandering to the vocal retards on the net. I'm, at this point, not overly bothered about finishing it.

Put Dead Space 3 back on, tried to to push through the "intense combat sequence against invincible monsters in an eight-by-six room that seems to go on for more than three minutes". Yeah, put it off three-and-a-half minutes later. Goodwill exhausted for the entire series now. They utterly fucked this up. It's hateful.

Sent back the rental of The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct. It had just the right level of mediocrity and fan-service that I usually appreciate in less than stellar releases but... I couldn't complete the second stage. You're forced to flee back to your car to escape an area and there's only one way to go. It's a narrow funnel, too, so you go in head on. And it's filled with zombies that only spawn as you walk into it. Tried every distraction tactic, nothing bites (ha!)... you have to step over a threshold (CoD style) to activate it. And then you are grabbed by a group. There's a mechanic for defending yourself (it's a fucking QTE, of course) and then you kill one and automatically get grabbed by the next. There's an achievement for fending off four in a row. Oh, yeah, but you lose a little health each time. And you can't break away from the group until they're all dead. And, at last count, I killed eleven, whilst rooted to the spot, each one taking more of my tiny health bar. There were easily another eight waiting for their turn.
Tried to redo this, five times. Same solution every time. I have no idea how a single reviewer got past this, and I'm going to look for video proof on how to do it. It's eithered bugged (very likely) or just the most retarded design decision I've ever seen (also likely). But life is too short... Bleugh.

Games, man. Why even bother?
#399 at 11:40:40 - 10/07/2013
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:175
Thread Kills:38(2%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Pretty much echoes where I was with games a while back rmj - I had a moment where I was just hammering away at a difficulty spike in a game I wasn't really enjoying anyway, and thought to myself 'What exactly am I getting out of this?'. Felt like I was literally just wasting my time.

I recommend a healthy diet of indie games to address the condition - there's just so much great indie gaming to be had right now that you could quite comfortably not play another AAA game for the rest of the year, and probably have a hell of a lot of fun whilst doing it. :)
#400 at 13:28:38 - 10/07/2013
Kay
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Or maybe just, you know, stop playing shit games? :p

I mean, that TWD game is 32% on metacritic, so it shouldn't be a surprise if it turns out to be a hugely frustrating experience.
#401 at 13:52:58 - 10/07/2013
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Kay said:Or maybe just, you know, stop playing shit games? :p

I mean, that TWD game is 32% on metacritic, so it shouldn't be a surprise if it turns out to be a hugely frustrating experience.

Well, duh.

But it's the "triple A" stuff that's really depressing as the overall quality of this stuff is continuing to nose dive, for me.
#402 at 14:09:52 - 10/07/2013
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Typically, after singing the praises of indie gaming I just spent an extremely unsatisfying half hour with Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP (on iOS). Randomly tapping all over the screen to try and find the one interactive thing that will enable me to progress is no fun (and not helped by some rather unintuitive visual fx). Then a boss battle that has little room for error and arbitrarily decides that your shield is useless. Pretty poor.
#403 at 15:28:31 - 10/07/2013
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
They say you should never meet your heroes or replay the games you loved in your youth.

Why didn't I listen?

I remember getting the original Jak & Daxter game on launch and unusually for me at the time, playing it to completion. I love J&D and even loved the 'OK, but not great' Jak3.

I also rate Naughty Dog as one of the best developers on PS3 - the Uncharted series is sublime and I'm sure The Last of Us deserves all of the praise lavished upon it.

So as soon as the opportunity arose to play it on my Vita, I jumped in with both feet.

I appreciate that J&D is now 12 years old, but have games really evolved that much or maybe I've just gotten 12 years older, 12 years slower and 12 years more jaded...?

The bulk of the game is fine - the various areas are pretty imaginative, the characters charming and there's enough variety to drive you on. But where the game seems to fall down is in simple mechanics - for a platformer, the camera is lazy and stupid, frequently offering you a view of the floor or sky, but rarely actually what you need to see. This is also the case when fighting enemies - all too often you're being attacked from off the screen.

And while none of the enemies are a particular challenge (most are single hit kills), the long animations for Jak's attacking moves means that you quickly get overwhelmed when attacked groups, as you can't execute your next attack until the animation on your previous one has been completed.

The levels themselves are mostly well made, but can be massively confusing (most are non-linear, multi-level areas), with no clear direction on where you're meant to go. Probably the worst at this is the Spider's Cave - everything looks the same.

I still have a special place in my heart for J&D, but am massively disappointed that the game doesn't live up to my cherished memories.

I'll finish it (about 80% done), but my joy in completing the game will be tinged with a sense of regret that I started it in the first place...
#404 at 10:57:55 - 12/07/2013
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Third person cameras have come on a lot in the last decade. On the PS1 and 2 they were almost always problematic, but these days it's almost like a solved problem - some games still manage to stuff it up, admittedly, but good, reliable third person cameras are definitely the norm these days.

Regarding the signposting, I sometimes wonder how well I would get on with older adventure games these days, as my tolerance for just wandering around trying to find the next objective has definitely diminished in recent years - not sure whether that's due to changes in my playing habits (I no longer play for several hours at a stretch which I used to do), or whether it's because I've gotten used to the much heavier signposting in newer games. Mind you I love Demon's/Dark Souls so maybe I do still have some tolerance for a game that doesn't hold your hand too much.

It is harsh when you go back to a game you loved and it doesn't live up to the memories though - I revisited Final Fantasy XII last year which I absolutely loved on my first playthrough, but second time around it fell a little flat. I still love the game world, but the combat really started to grate, particularly as the scope for upgrading and customising the characters wasn't nearly as great as I'd thought when I first played it. On the other hand I bought F-Zero X on Virtual Console a couple of years ago and it was still the mainline adrenaline rush it always was - if anything I appreciated it even more because so few modern games have such a singularity of purpose about them. Awesome game.
#405 at 11:17:35 - 12/07/2013
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Jak & Daxter finished - quite pleased it's over and disappointed that is wasn't anywhere near as good as I remember :(

Started Hotline Miami this morning - seems very tough (mainly because I keep hitting the wrong button), but is a brilliantly dark tonic after the bright and shiny disappointment of J&D.
#406 at 10:38:07 - 18/07/2013
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Gears of War: Judgement arrived from Lovefilm (making the most of it, before they cancel game rentals).

Looks lovely, and somehow feels fresh after Gears 3 (which I liked way more than 2). May even have a go at finishing this one. Been a while since I saw the end credits on a game.
#407 at 13:24:17 - 18/07/2013
Kay
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
After finishing The Last of Us (which was rather special I have to admit, despite my earlier reservations), I've gone back to Catherine, which I played a bit of a couple of weeks ago as a break from TLoU. Ended up almost throwing the controller at the screen at the second "boss" stage. I knew the game would be frustrating at times, but that level is just hateful. Will give it another shot tonight, but can't see myself bothering with it for much longer if the rest of the game is as annoying, as much as I love the style of the whole thing.

Also planning on playing through the first two Uncharted games, before maybe tackling TLoU on Survivor. They're both on sale on PSN so I might as well.

Loving the PS3 so far. Still not totally enamoured with the DS3 controller, but the XMB is massively superior to the 360's bloated and slow dashboard.
#408 at 15:00:33 - 18/07/2013
Syrok
Flag
Comments:452
Thread Kills:81(2%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I recommend playing Catherine on Easy. It has a ridiculous difficulty spike in the first half of the game. I don't think it was boss stage 2, but once you get past that spike it gets somewhat easier again.
#409 at 23:35:31 - 19/07/2013
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Hotline Miami. Gets better with every level.

I cannot recommend it enough to you jaded gamers :)
#410 at 10:50:25 - 22/07/2013
Kay
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Started Uncharted over the weekend (in between bouts of Catherine). Amazing how cartoony it looks and feels compared to TLoU, with the exaggerated enemy animations and the way Drake can leap around everywhere. I've only played the Vita entry and this feels like it's almost the same game - the early jungle sections are very similar - but without the annoying touch-screen gimmicks.

Solid so far, although the constant shooting does get annoying at times and the game shows its age a tad (albeit still great-looking at times). Expecting a lot more from UC2 though, as that's the one everyone seems to rave about.
#411 at 14:31:09 - 22/07/2013
Viking
Flag
Comments:0
Thread Kills:0(0%)
AATG Pts:
Star Rating
While cleaning out the desk this weekend, I found 2 golden hits: Rollercoaster Tycoon and GTA 2. Immediately stopped with cleaning everything up and checked if the discs were still ok. They were, and to be short: my desk is still a mess:)
#412 at 16:40:34 - 22/07/2013
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Uncharted 1 and Golden Abyss have a lot of similarities. U2 takes the whole thing to another level, but seeing as you've already played through TLoU, you might not see as much as a step up as I did.

Still not played TLoU yet, either :)
#413 at 16:42:23 - 22/07/2013
HairyArse
Flag
Comments:1774
Thread Kills:127(2%)
AATG Pts:350
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Not sure what to play at the moment. Looking for a palette cleanse after 82 hours of Dark Souls.
#414 at 16:29:40 - 29/07/2013
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Well after finishing the brilliant Hotline Miami, I've switched on to Stealth Inc (AKA Stealth Bastard) - another really good indie game on the PS3/Vita.

Some very tricky puzzles, but the game has a great sense of humour (very Portal-esque).

Also plugging away and NFS Shift 2 - some very solid and fun racing (a world sway from the sterility of Gran Turismo), although I did think the drifting with shite - not a patch on what Race Driver: Grid managed.

I'm quite keen to finish it, so I can crack on with The Walking Dead.
#415 at 10:46:06 - 30/07/2013
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Finished Stealth Inc - really, really liked it. Perfect on the Vita, although there was one DLC level which I simply cannot do :(

Moved on to a combination of When Vikings Attack and Sine Mora (both PS+ freebies) - possibly as different as 2 games can get.

Sine Mora is a very tough side scrolling shooter - currently stuck on the 3rd chapter, but fantasticly precise and it looks great.

When Vikings Attack is a kind of group brawler, where your collection of people (bunched into a single group) is tasked with wiping out invading Vikings by picking up various objected littered around the levels (anything from folding chairs to cars and portaloos). It's all very tongue in cheek and very, well, English.

That said, I'm not sure about the longevity or variety, but it's an amusing diversion.

Still playing Shift 2 on the PS3 - enjoying the racing a lot.
#416 at 19:55:05 - 10/08/2013
Binky
Flag
Comments:160
Thread Kills:33(2%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I really like Sine Mora but I am already finding it too hard for my brain on chapter II. Just can't seem to get past the lasers even though I know what to do!
#417 at 11:58:19 - 12/08/2013
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Binky said:I really like Sine Mora but I am already finding it too hard for my brain on chapter II. Just can't seem to get past the lasers even though I know what to do!

Do you mean the lasers in the room which keep moving about (shoot them at their base) or the one's in the rubbish chute?

It's the latter ones which do my head in
#418 at 13:36:56 - 12/08/2013
Binky
Flag
Comments:160
Thread Kills:33(2%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Rubbish chute. It's just .... rubbish!
#419 at 14:49:36 - 12/08/2013
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Agreed - so disappointing that the difficulty level can unjustly ruin an otherwise good game

Think I'll end up binning it...

Rubbish, binning - geddit? :D
#420 at 16:51:46 - 12/08/2013

home
Left 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 Right