Author Reply
Trip SkyWay
Flag
Comments:539
Thread Kills:77(4%)
AATG Pts:175
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Anyone else going along to GameCity this year?

I'm taking my game along on the 25th 26th and the 1st, be nice to say hello to some of you if you're going.

http://gamecity.org/
#1 at 17:56:56 - 22/10/2014
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:175
Thread Kills:38(2%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Aye, I'll try and be there at some point. A word of advice though - I wouldn't count on people making it through the Game City website in order to find the event and location you're going to be at, as it's pretty confusing (it just took me five minutes to find the location for the Open Arcade and I've been on the website several times before :/).

The Game City schedule is here: http://gamecity.org/festival/schedule/ and your game is at the Open Arcade, which is at 24-32 Carlton Street, NG1 1NN (or here in Google Maps language).

Might help to tell folks what your company/game is called too. ;)
#2 at 18:34:00 - 22/10/2014
Trip SkyWay
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Wise words :)

I'm taking Idioctopus which used to be the XNA game I wrote about on AATG a long time ago.
#3 at 09:45:35 - 23/10/2014
WasBarchetta
Flag
Comments:0
Thread Kills:0(0%)
AATG Pts:
Star Rating
Well, since it is only a few miles away and I have the week off work with the kids on half-term, I'm definitely going to make it my 9th Gamecity!

I have put a post up on Eurogamer's forum in the past but it seems to fall on mainly deaf ears tbh. GameCity may be a odd mix - it has certainly evolved into something far more esoteric than some of the earlier festivals, though I do miss some of the headlining 'acts'. I enjoyed Robin Hunicke's presentation a few years back, Keita Takahashi demoing Noby Noby Boy and making paper Vipers and Coriolis stations sat with a very talkative Ian Bell was a highlight too.

Not sure if they have the curry lunches etc. on this year - I've got to agree with Nekotcha, the website is quite the work of art(!). Nigh-on suicidally obtuse, unless it was intended to be a puzzle in it's own right.

Was planning a midweek run tbh, but I may make a change. The kids loved the indie stuff last year - particularly 'Flerbs' though I don't think it yet made it to a release and the 'under a table' caterpillar game 'ROFLpillar' (though my back was knackered after a few rounds).

Will definitely make a point of coming to see your game if I can do one of the weekend days.
#4 at 23:59:43 - 23/10/2014
WasBarchetta
Flag
AATG Pts:
Star Rating
Just tried the schedule linky (thanks, Nekotcha) - much easier on the old macbook rather than browsing the site on my phone.

Looks like some stuff is filling rather rapidly...
#5 at 00:16:24 - 24/10/2014
Trip SkyWay
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
This is my first visit, sounds like a lot of fun based on your description :)

Hopefully see you there!
#6 at 10:23:42 - 24/10/2014
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Some really nice stuff at the Open Arcade today - obviously TSW's Idioctopus is the standout title ;), but there's lots of interesting games there. It was actually far busier than I expected and I only got to look at most games rather than play them but a couple of titles that caught my attention were Induction, where you can rewind time and spawn copies of yourself to solve increasingly complex puzzles (with visuals reminiscent of Monument Valley), and Lumino City from State of Play games, which is entirely constructed from sets built in real life then captured on camera, giving it a look somewhat similar to Tearaway.

I believe the Open Arcade is running for most, if not all the week (and next weekend), with different games appearing as the week goes on, so if anyone is in the Nottingham area and has a few hours spare I'd highly recommend a visit.
#7 at 17:17:34 - 26/10/2014
Trip SkyWay
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Yeah some cool things on show.

Me and my daughter's favourite was Planet Quest, an iOS rhythm action game with lovely, katamari like, art. Had a bit of rhythm tengoku feel to it.

Biome was a gorgeous art toy of a game inspired by time lapse photography. You effect little low poly worlds with clicks along the lines of populous, though currently the changes are random.

The PC, couch multiplayer, pixel art DiscStorm was great fun. 4 players chucking frisbees at each other, with a ton of stage and rule variants.

The first person puzzle Pneuma: Breath of Life was a nifty in a similar vein to portal. Think that's going to Xbox one.

I'm back demoing again Saturday. I think there's going to be a load of different games this weekend as most of the above were only on last weekend :)
#8 at 09:45:17 - 28/10/2014
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Ah, I didn't see Pneuma, shame as I wanted to catch that after chatting with one of the team at one of the recent indie meets. Bah, I'm really wishing I didn't have to go to a wedding this weekend now.
#9 at 16:27:50 - 28/10/2014
Trip SkyWay
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Pneuma was only there on Saturday, I think they wanted to get back to working on it.

Cheers for your advice on Sunday, we'll have a big badgerhammer logo with a twitter tag under it for this weekend :)
#10 at 18:31:31 - 28/10/2014
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Ah no worries, I don't mean to (ahem) badger about it but anything you can do to help people remember the game and/or your company has to be a good thing. Case in point - there were a few other games there that looked interesting but were too busy for me to have a go on, and as there was no sign saying what the game or developer was called, I've already forgotten about them. And that's me, someone who really cares about this stuff.

Personally I think the GameCity organisers should have done more to give developers a hand with this stuff - for instance by having a board or sign developers can fill in saying what they and the game are called. When I demoed Buddha Finger a few years back they had blackboards and chalk that you could use to write what your game was called, sadly nothing like that this year though. :(
#11 at 15:26:42 - 29/10/2014
WasBarchetta
Flag
AATG Pts:
Star Rating
Well, I'm going tomorrow with my kids and taking a coupke of their friends too. May well be there Saturday too.

I take it most of the fun is in the old 'Conexxions' building in Hockley - not so much in Old Market Square?
#12 at 20:28:25 - 29/10/2014
Trip SkyWay
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Yeah I don't think there's anything in the market square.
#13 at 14:03:19 - 30/10/2014
WasBarchetta
Flag
AATG Pts:
Star Rating
Paid a visit this afternoon and well.... I guess there may be a general lull with regards the number of Open Arcade attendees during the week, with more wiiling/able to make weekend appearances.

Certainly felt a bit 'smaller' this year - perhaps for financial reasons. Enjoyed a few games - the highlight being the beautifully crafted 'Lumino City' which had the attention of not only my boys but my wife too - quite an achievement!

A lot of craft stalls selling their wares (more of these than games on display from what I saw) and must agree with Nekotcha that it looked like exhibitors were simply given a desk and a name check on the site and then left to it. For newcomers and visitors this led to little name recognition and lessened the impact. Overall, a bit disappointed but I plan on spending more time there on Saturday - hope to see your game too, Trip.
#14 at 22:20:41 - 30/10/2014
James_Howell
Flag
Thread Kills:7(50%)
AATG Pts:
Star Rating
Wanted to go so much and had planned and all but it all got canceled at the last moment! *sob*
#15 at 09:46:36 - 12/12/2014

home