Watch Dogs - Spoiler Free Thread


Author Reply
peej
Flag
Posts:14637
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Potentially one of the biggest releases of the year and no thread? Shame on you!

C'mon then, share the Watch Dogs love-in...
#1 at 11:29:39 - 27/05/2014
Sillothian
Flag
Posts:1471
Comments:127
Thread Kills:46(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Seems to be getting favourable reviews right across the board. I do like the fact that using hacking and stealth is a viable option in completing most missions, which is a welcome change from the 'all guns blazing' approach of most open world games. Not quite as happy about the GTA IV style car physics and the tenaciousness of the police (they are meant to be extremely hard to escape from). Also I thought there was going to be more to invading another player's game than just playing digital hide and seek.

I'll definitely be picking this up on the PS4 but first I must finish AC4 Black Flag and Freedom Cry. Best Assassin's Creed game by far but I've hardly touched the campaign as I can't resist the call of the riches to be plundered on the high seas!
#2 at 16:57:43 - 27/05/2014
peej
Flag
Posts:14637
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
A couple of hours in and I really love the multi-layered approaches you can take to all the campaign and side missions. The GTA style car handling is mighty fine by me (I always get a bit grumpy if open world game adopt anything else as a driving model).

It does not tolerate slouches though, this game. There are times when you just fancy doing a bit of exploring and want to take things slowly but the game kicks off at a hell of a pace and if you do get involved in chases, you have to think about 10 moves ahead to plan out a really neat escape.

Loving it so far. Think it's even topped Infamous but obviously I need to play it a LOT more.
#3 at 15:21:46 - 28/05/2014
Whizzo
Flag
Posts:2711
Comments:146
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:165
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Have played a ton of it the last couple of days (took some time off) and yet only finished act 1 quite late tonight. Been doing so many side missions, crime preventions, CTOS hacks and so on and I've enjoyed all of it.

The 1v1 invasion stuff is quite fun too, tailing seems a little easier than hacking but both get pretty tense when you're trying to avoid detection.
#4 at 01:37:30 - 29/05/2014
peej
Flag
Posts:14637
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Loving it. It's absolutely manic and chaotic. In fact, it's fair to say that even a fairly low end police chase or CTOS escape in this is more frenetic than a 5 star chase in GTA.

Slowly working my way through it (not getting much time to play it in the evenings at the mo, too much 'homework') but am truly enjoying it.
#5 at 11:45:26 - 30/05/2014
evilashchris
Flag
Posts:2186
Comments:591
Thread Kills:53(2%)
AATG Pts:200
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Spent a couple of hours with it and hate it :/

Boring driving, mediocre graphics, weak shooting and a pretty dull story. I did quite like the hacking mini-game though.
#6 at 18:08:06 - 30/05/2014
Sillothian
Flag
Posts:1471
Comments:127
Thread Kills:46(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Silver Medal
peej said:In fact, it's fair to say that even a fairly low end police chase or CTOS escape in this is more frenetic than a 5 star chase in GTA.


This is what is really putting me off the game. I've never been a big fan of police chases in any open world game but at least most of them get the balance right between difficulty and wanted level. I'm not sure I can be bothered with the relentless nature of the police in Watch Dogs. Are the police a massive part of the game or can you avoid them most of time if you complete missions in a more stealthy manner?
#7 at 18:14:15 - 30/05/2014
Whizzo
Flag
Posts:2711
Comments:146
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:165
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Most of the time you'll be doing things without the Chicago PD getting involved, even when they do come after you it's a lot of fun to use the city against them.

Parking up and hiding in a car is a viable tactic too.
#8 at 21:44:30 - 30/05/2014
ilmaestro
Flag
Posts:6576
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Whizzo and peej in "enjoying GTA-style-game" shocker.
#9 at 21:57:27 - 31/05/2014
Whizzo
Flag
Posts:2711
Comments:146
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:165
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Whizzo and peej in "enjoying good game" shocker.
#10 at 22:35:46 - 31/05/2014
ilmaestro
Flag
Posts:6576
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
That's a way less interesting way of putting it though.
#11 at 23:45:26 - 31/05/2014
DragonBroz
Flag
Posts:1
Comments:0
Thread Kills:0(0%)
AATG Pts:
Star Rating
peej said:Potentially one of the biggest releases of the year and no thread? Shame on you!

C'mon then, share theWatch Dogs love-in...


Overhyped game. Sony wants to sell PS4...

nuff siad


Game is solid GTA clone but nothing special.
#12 at 02:30:41 - 02/06/2014
peej
Flag
Posts:14637
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
You're so right, you should definitely never ever play it.

GTA Clone nothing more. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to work out how the HELL I'm supposed to hack a door that's hidden behind a truck out of camera view...while simultaneously avoiding being shot to bits by guards who are so trigger happy and jumpy that they nearly cack their pants at the sight of a forklift moving up and down.

#13 at 11:13:52 - 02/06/2014
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Posts:1350
Comments:43
Thread Kills:25(2%)
AATG Pts:75
Star Rating
I'm sadly away from my PS4 for a couple of days - and it's Watch Dogs I'm missing. It hooked me on Saturday afternoon / evening and I played it for large chunks of Sunday. I don't even care for GTA /that/ much, either.

The moment I was properly hooked was when I discovered those digital trips - I spent more than an hour clearing out Alone. Mental. I also think the whole hacking schtick works very nicely - though I'm sure it could get old.

When do I get to play 1v1, when does that unlock (assuming it does)?
#14 at 13:20:13 - 02/06/2014
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Posts:1350
Comments:43
Thread Kills:25(2%)
AATG Pts:75
Star Rating
That 1v1 hacking is absurdly addictive. The devs have casually inserted mercs vs spies from Splinter Cell into Watch Dogs and it works very nicely indeed.

I've also blocked someone as a result - I was hiding in a bush with seconds to go and I see them get their smartphone out; I assumed they had given up and were biding their time but no, they disconnect from the mode, robbing me of my XP. Cheeky bastard!
#15 at 10:09:04 - 09/06/2014
Whizzo
Flag
Posts:2711
Comments:146
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:165
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
The 1v1 stuff is quite interesting, it makes you incredibly paranoid that you could be being watched at any time you're playing the game.

Trying to start a mission and the marker going purple and not letting you can be a surprise when you're not expecting it.

Still loving the game, I'm only about halfway through act II and yet I've nearly maxed out all my skills from doing lots of the side missions and tasks!
#16 at 10:13:38 - 09/06/2014
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Posts:1350
Comments:43
Thread Kills:25(2%)
AATG Pts:75
Star Rating
Yes - I'm in Act 1 and it's the same. Until I completed a main mission yesterday, higher tier skills were locked and I had accrued 30+ skill points.
#17 at 10:21:44 - 09/06/2014
Whizzo
Flag
Posts:2711
Comments:146
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:165
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Spend them wisely, I know which skill will be last on my list to finally upgrade, the last "get more money from ATMs" one, I have more money than I could possibly use already.
#18 at 10:42:17 - 09/06/2014
Sillothian
Flag
Posts:1471
Comments:127
Thread Kills:46(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Sillothian said:I'll definitely be picking this up on the PS4 but first I must finish AC4 Black Flag and Freedom Cry.


So much for that theory!

I couldn't resist the temptation to pick this (and Wolfenstein) up on the PS4. I am enjoying it loads even though I've only played through the Act 1 enough to open up all the skills on the skill wheel. Now to earn enough points to unlock all those skills.

The campaign missions I've played have been great but the more ctos towers I hack into the more side quests I have to distract my attention. The driving controls aren't nearly as bad as I had feared. For me they find a happy medium between the driving models of GTA IV and V. The police chases do escalate out of control very quickly indeed and the cops are relentless in their pursuit of you. You can't just escape these guys with speed and off road driving like in GTA. You have to use the city against them and once you realise this (and upgrade all the appropriate hacking skills) you can evade the police with relative ease.

Although the combat controls are really well done I also feel a bit miffed when I haven't managed to hack my way through an entire mission. I'm not usually one for stealth but I enjoy that approach loads in Watch Dogs.

The 1 vs 1 online stuff is also great fun. I've only managed a couple of successful hacks so far but it certainly racks up the tension when your target starts getting close to your hiding place. I actually like purposely hacking Blume affiliates to get a bounty on my head and then taking off to a part of the city I feel I exploit to my benefit when I get hacked. It doesn't always work but is great fun all the same.

Ubisoft definitely needs to let you pick people off your friends list to hack. Obviously no xp involved to prevent people artificially bumping their score. Surely they will add this in at some point?

One thing I really like about Watch Dogs is how alive the world feels. Eavesdropping on conversations to find out about crimes in progress or just to overhear the random stuff that people come out with makes each npc in the game seem like an individual. Same goes for the profiler too.

As far as the graphics go I think the game looks fantastic on the PS4. The only thing that lets the game down is the selection of music tracks that aren't really to my taste. Not a big deal though as I just turn off the in car music now.

For anybody on the fence about Watch Dogs (like I was) then I would just say get it bought as it is a superb game.
#19 at 16:57:07 - 09/06/2014
peej
Flag
Posts:14637
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Feck me, I just completed a mission last night that was just too much fun. I gave up on the subtle approach as I was spotted - so drew all of the enemies out into the car park, and shifted from vehicle to vehicle while they shot at me - mowing them down every time they broke cover.

Not pretty, extremely messy but oh how I wish I'd saved the video of it, it was flipping great fun!

And that, lieblings, is why I love this game. Not because it's a cookie-cutter GTA - but because when you really do screw things up, the game offers a messy but effective way out of a mission 9 times out of 10
#20 at 12:16:13 - 10/06/2014
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Posts:1350
Comments:43
Thread Kills:25(2%)
AATG Pts:75
Star Rating
Sillothian said:
Sillothian said:I'll definitely be picking this up on the PS4 but first I must finish AC4 Black Flag and Freedom Cry.


So much for that theory!

I couldn't resist the temptation to pick this (and Wolfenstein) up on the PS4. I am enjoying it loads even though I've only played through the Act 1 enough to open up all the skills on the skill wheel. Now to earn enough points to unlock all those skills.

The campaign missions I've played have been great but the more ctos towers I hack into the more side quests I have to distract my attention. The driving controls aren't nearly as bad as I had feared. For me they find a happy medium between the driving models of GTA IV and V. The police chases do escalate out of control very quickly indeed and the cops are relentless in their pursuit of you. You can't just escape these guys with speed and off road driving like in GTA. You have to use the city against them and once you realise this (and upgrade all the appropriate hacking skills) you can evade the police with relative ease.

Although the combat controls are really well done I also feel a bit miffed when I haven't managed to hack my way through an entire mission. I'm not usually one for stealth but I enjoy that approach loads in Watch Dogs.

The 1 vs 1 online stuff is also great fun. I've only managed a couple of successful hacks so far but it certainly racks up the tension when your target starts getting close to your hiding place. I actually like purposely hacking Blume affiliates to get a bounty on my head and then taking off to a part of the city I feel I exploit to my benefit when I get hacked. It doesn't always work but is great fun all the same.

Ubisoft definitely needs to let you pick people off your friends list to hack. Obviously no xp involved to prevent people artificially bumping their score. Surely they will add this in at some point?

One thing I really like about Watch Dogs is how alive the world feels. Eavesdropping on conversations to find out about crimes in progress or just to overhear the random stuff that people come out with makes each npc in the game seem like an individual. Same goes for the profiler too.

As far as the graphics go I think the game looks fantastic on the PS4. The only thing that lets the game down is the selection of music tracks that aren't really to my taste. Not a big deal though as I just turn off the in car music now.

For anybody on the fence about Watch Dogs (like I was) then I would just say get it bought as it is a superb game.


Yep, I agree. And a bonus for me is that I like a lot of the music, especially the blues / soul thread; very Chicago.

I agree with you too peej that the missions seem nicely flexible. It really is a good game - not a classic (by which I mean I'm sure I'll forget about it not long after I finish it) but a lot of fun.
#21 at 17:25:16 - 10/06/2014
peej
Flag
Posts:14637
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Another evening with about 2 hours play and another insane mission that really reminded me of GTA in places, but again with that open-ended flexibility. Once you get out into the sticks (no spoilers) things take a turn for the weird, that's for sure!

What surprises me a lot about this game is that you even get a fair amount of freedom out there in the sticks to pick your route. Find a dirt bike, and you can really get out into the wilds and explore quite a bit before the game reins you in.

Last night's mission was just fun from start to finish, mostly because I'd seriously fucked things up quite early on but still somehow managed to complete things by the skin of my teeth (at my control, Aidan is less the master hacker, more the 'Bring the NOIZZZEE' guy)

Awesome stuff, will be quite sad when it's finished I reckon.
#22 at 17:56:47 - 12/06/2014
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Posts:1350
Comments:43
Thread Kills:25(2%)
AATG Pts:75
Star Rating
I think a good example of flexibility is that there's a pretty robust stealth mechanic too; certainly I go for silenced headshots and no alerts whenever there's some form of enemy base infiltration. Sure, the game is a bit of a jack of all trades but each element is quite good. Then again, I like the way the vehicles handle so don't trust my opinion....

The 1v1 hacking makes the game for me - many memorable moments both winning and losing at these.
#23 at 08:09:58 - 13/06/2014
peej
Flag
Posts:14637
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Just polished off Watch Dogs main campaign which gave me a lot of satisfaction - enough to dabble with the idea of staying around Chicago to polish off some of those side missions and extra bits.

Thoroughly enjoyable stuff from start to finish and another one to add to the pile of "PS4 games I've actually completed" (alright, it's not that big a pile!)

Can't wait for the sequel.
#24 at 15:00:22 - 23/06/2014
Whizzo
Flag
Posts:2711
Comments:146
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:165
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I hope the city that gets the name check in the last mission's dialogue is where it goes next, won't say where it is but it would be great.

Still playing this quite a bit, got plenty of side-missions to do and I'm having fun.
#25 at 19:20:33 - 23/06/2014
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Posts:1350
Comments:43
Thread Kills:25(2%)
AATG Pts:75
Star Rating
I'm still only on Act 2 though I've completed various bits and bobs (check ins, ctos breaches etc). I've ploughed quite a few hours in and am not tiring at all yet.



#26 at 08:15:12 - 24/06/2014
peej
Flag
Posts:14637
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I think if there's anything to snip at (at all) it's the writing. I could imagine how this would've turned out with some decent writing and slightly better character development. There were a few instances where I had to skip through tedious dialogue to get back into the swing of things, there really didn't feel like there was much of an explanation for some of the later plot points that just seemed to arrive out of nowhere.

It definitely does warrant becoming Ubi's new star franchise though - so long as they can continue to think up innovative ways to develop the hacking stuff, maybe tune up the driving physics a little.
#27 at 16:23:30 - 24/06/2014
Sillothian
Flag
Posts:1471
Comments:127
Thread Kills:46(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Still haven't finished act 1 yet and I've probably sunk 20 hours into the game! Still mopping up the side missions and have just unlocked the Playstation exclusive missions too. The online hacking is great fun. Tried the trick of waiting in a bus shelter when hacking another player and it worked a treat. He must have passed right by me half a dozen times and never gave me a second look!
#28 at 21:33:58 - 01/07/2014
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Posts:1350
Comments:43
Thread Kills:25(2%)
AATG Pts:75
Star Rating
Great fun, isn't it. As I've suggested before, the online hacking has provided some of the best gaming moments I've had this year. I think I'm on Act III now but will likely finish my first run through of Sniper Elite before going back to Watch Dogs.
#29 at 07:21:46 - 03/07/2014
HairyArse
Flag
Posts:6387
Comments:1774
Thread Kills:127(2%)
AATG Pts:350
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I got to the prison level with the forced stealth and lost the will to live with Watch Dogs. It's now at my mate's house and I'm playing, and it has to be said, enjoying much more, Wolfenstein.
#30 at 15:04:33 - 11/07/2014

home
1 2 Right