Author Reply
evilashchris
Flag
Comments:591
Thread Kills:53(2%)
AATG Pts:200
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Both Stewart Gilray (CEO of JAW) and Lorne Lanning are willing to answer a few questions for us, as Stranger's Wrath HD for Vita is due for release very soon.

Does anyone have any questions we can put to them?
#1 at 17:01:03 - 05/12/2012
Syrok
Flag
Comments:452
Thread Kills:81(2%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
What was the biggest challenge in bringing the title to Vita?
Have you found interesting ways of making use of the rear touch panel?
#2 at 19:32:08 - 05/12/2012
evilashchris
Flag
Comments:591
Thread Kills:53(2%)
AATG Pts:200
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Cheers Syrok :D
#3 at 20:38:20 - 05/12/2012
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:464(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Just one. Why the hell did Oddworld stop doing the brilliant 2D games? They would be a brilliant fit if someone had the time to rework the original low poly art assets and rejig them for modern tablets and portable gaming machines.

TBH I hated Stranger's Wrath, the world needs less FPS games (even very stylish alt-western ones), but it could seriously do with a lot more very tightly produced 2D platform puzzlers.

#4 at 15:37:33 - 06/12/2012
NewYork
Flag
Comments:1481
Thread Kills:106(2%)
AATG Pts:330
Star Rating
Gold Medal
peej said:Just one. Why the hell did Oddworld stop doing the brilliant 2D games? They would be a brilliant fit if someone had the time to rework the original low poly art assets and rejig them for modern tablets and portable gaming machines.

Was gonna note that the original is being done up in HD but apparently it's in 2.5D

(Though I'd say most HD 2D sprite-based games end up looking like your typical cheap Flash game. 2D just looks better in low-res)
#5 at 19:33:16 - 06/12/2012
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:175
Thread Kills:38(2%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Couple of ideas - I'd be interested to know what Lorne Lanning in particular thinks of the opportunities offered by (a) development for iOS/Android and (b) Kickstarter and whether he thinks they're a genuine alternative to the more traditional publisher-led development. Reason being that the Oddworld games are a good example of the sort of game that's not always understood by major publishers but are loved by players (I have my own experience of this because it's exactly what we always experienced with TimeSplitters too).

I'd also be interested to hear their take on the conflicts between story/interactivity and the recent trend towards decreasing amounts of interactivity in strongly story-led games (e.g. The Walking Dead, Heavy Rain). The Oddworld games always managed to strongly deliver on both fronts but it seems like developers aren't trying to do this very often anymore.

Only very rough ideas, mind.

Regarding Stranger's Wrath, I really liked it actually. It was only a passable FPS but the characterisation and story really made it stand out. It was quite pretty in places as I remember too. Certainly, I would rather see a Stranger's Wrath sequel than further updates to any of the vast sea of military FPS games that are out there these days.
#6 at 19:37:44 - 06/12/2012

home