Author Reply
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Well, it may as well have a thread... because I apparently pre-ordered it many moons ago and shopto are sending the bloody thing out days early, before the review embargo on tuesday.

Fastest trade in ever? Most likely. :(
#1 at 15:07:40 - 18/03/2012
frod
Flag
Comments:102
Thread Kills:35(3%)
AATG Pts:130
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Ooof. Hopefully there will be a shop still open somewhere for you to trade it in.
#2 at 16:52:08 - 18/03/2012
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
That's what I thought. Will give it a bash, fingers crossed. May trade for SSX or hang on until Silent Hill... which is getting great word of mouth on GAF.
#3 at 17:07:48 - 18/03/2012
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
Star Rating
Silver Medal
lol, the only time a pub is probably telling retail to break street date.
#4 at 19:36:27 - 18/03/2012
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Comments:43
Thread Kills:25(2%)
AATG Pts:75
Star Rating
I would like to devote my 1000th post to saying...you will probably love it. That's all.
#5 at 20:37:53 - 18/03/2012
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
FlexibleFeline said:I would like to devote my 1000th post to saying...you will probably love it. That's all.

You'd lose respect for me if I didn't, right?
#6 at 20:42:21 - 18/03/2012
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
Ha :-)

Let us know how it is, though. I was sooo hoping it would be at least average (= justifiable fanboyish purchase).
#7 at 20:54:56 - 18/03/2012
Espad
Flag
Comments:148
Thread Kills:20(1%)
AATG Pts:110
Star Rating
FlexibleFeline said:Ha :-)

Let us know how it is, though. I was sooo hoping it would be at least average (= justifiable fanboyish purchase).

This, i ended up cancelling my pe-order after the games tm 3/10, but im still holding out a little hope!
#8 at 13:33:40 - 19/03/2012
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
So, this is looking shit. Don't even see the point of bothering the swapsies list. :)

Really annoyed about shopto grabbing cash early when they're not putting the game out. Calculated move just to stop you cancelling at the review embargo ending. No refunds; have credit instead. Wankers. I'd have been less annoyed if it was in the post by now.
#9 at 17:52:32 - 20/03/2012
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Wait, they've charged you and not sent the game? Legal ground for not giving you a refund would seem dodgy at the very best, distance selling regs and all that.

I'll take it off your hands for £20 and a Snickers bar, if you're desperate? :p
#10 at 23:17:43 - 20/03/2012
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Let's give it five minutes and see if it's in my GotY list first, eh? :)
#11 at 00:20:27 - 21/03/2012
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Just turned up unannounced. Might give it a quick spin before the slew of marking begins.
#12 at 17:39:14 - 21/03/2012
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
Do share impressions if you can be bothered. I can't help but be curious...and think what a wasted opportunity this seems to have turned out to be.
#13 at 19:27:20 - 21/03/2012
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Well...

This is odd, because it's actually considerably better than anticipated. Was expecting the worst after some dire reviews - but it's worth bearing in mind that it's been drawing in some 7/10s too.

I honestly can't see how it can be called a three out of ten. It isn't broken; it is exactly what you might expect: it's a squad-based co-op shooter set in the Resi universe. It plays a lot like a SOCOM title (no surprise given the pedigree of the developer) but... people who are saying it isn't a Resi game are talking shite.

The atmosphere is ALL early Resi. I feel a better connection to that universe than I have since 4 and 5 game along. I've seen a couple of familiar faces, but it's the locales that make the world. It's replete with small touches, tropes and idiosyncrasies that mean it could only be a Resi game.

Right: I've done little else but play it tonight. I actually think it's rather good. I can't fathom a score of 3. Had EG given it a 7 I wouldn't have batted an eyelid. You'd have to be a really disingenuous cocksucker to give it less than a 5. It's a fun title.

I'm into beginning of the fourth mission now, and it's all been solo. And - playing on normal - I haven't had too much trouble. I played with four of the six characters; there's a half decent RPG leveling/unlocking/progression system with abilities and buyng weapons. The shooting feels really tight to me, and there's a lot of tactics involved.

The good news is that I can call bullshit on some of the negative press. The team AI seems ok (on normal setting); they've fought, healed me, the enemy AI flanks and is diving out of the way of my shots (ok, not every piece of bullet fodder is this bright, but they have all exhibited some survival instinct). One point, I've read that your AI buddies don't complete objectives. It's not a bug, they shouldn't! I had to shoot seven computers in a server room. The team stood there and watched me. It took me ten seconds. Three reviewers have complained about this. They're fucking retarded. After I completed the objective, it spawned an attack. Now, imagine for a minute that the AI had run in and done this for me... and an attack begins before I can even set myself up in the room. Would be shite, yeah? Yeah.

The enemies do take their share of bullets... until you unlock some better gear. Headshots are also effective, but not always a one hit kill. What I love is how easy it is to chuck grenades into upstairs room (sounds like a little thing, but how many times have you fucked this up in shooters?); and I love the different ability sets.

It's designed, patently, for multiple playthroughs to maximise the XP system and buy everything. Not tried online yet, want to complete the SP solo first.

So, first impressions are that it's actually a lot more solid than I dared hope, and I'm having far more fun with it than I did with Resi 5 (which, in hindsight, was shit; slick, but shit).

Oh, my big fear was that my three AI buddies would ruin the experience in the same way that Sheva Alomar destroyed my fun with the last game. They're all far smarter. Hey, at one point, I was cowering behind a wall while they cleared out a Licker nest.

Last point: a lot of forum tards are complaining that this is a stupid idea, as a concept, and not worthy of the Resi name. It isn't "canon". Can I just remind you, that within the canon, is a character called "Hunk" (I mean, come the fuck on); and at the end of the last game, I had to punch a fucking boulder. If you treasure that kind of shite, you have no quarter to bitch here.

Rent it; come play me. I'll be keeping this one around.

Full review pending, asap.
#14 at 01:03:00 - 22/03/2012
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
So... better or worse than Sniper: Ghost Warrior?
#15 at 03:27:02 - 22/03/2012
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
ilmaestro said:So... better or worse than Sniper: Ghost Warrior?

Bwahah! :-)
#16 at 07:05:55 - 22/03/2012
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
repairmanjack said:Well...

This is odd, because it's actually considerably better than anticipated. Was expecting the worst after some dire reviews - but it's worth bearing in mind that it's been drawing in some 7/10s too.

I honestly can't see how it can be called a three out of ten. It isn't broken; it is exactly what you might expect: it's a squad-based co-op shooter set in the Resi universe. It plays a lot like a SOCOM title (no surprise given the pedigree of the developer) but... people who are saying it isn't a Resi game are talking shite.

The atmosphere is ALL early Resi. I feel a better connection to that universe than I have since 4 and 5 game along. I've seen a couple of familiar faces, but it's the locales that make the world. It's replete with small touches, tropes and idiosyncrasies that mean it could only be a Resi game.

Right: I've done little else but play it tonight. I actually think it's rather good. I can't fathom a score of 3. Had EG given it a 7 I wouldn't have batted an eyelid. You'd have to be a really disingenuous cocksucker to give it less than a 5. It's a fun title.

I'm into beginning of the fourth mission now, and it's all been solo. And - playing on normal - I haven't had too much trouble. I played with four of the six characters; there's a half decent RPG leveling/unlocking/progression system with abilities and buyng weapons. The shooting feels really tight to me, and there's a lot of tactics involved.

The good news is that I can call bullshit on some of the negative press. The team AI seems ok (on normal setting); they've fought, healed me, the enemy AI flanks and is diving out of the way of my shots (ok, not every piece of bullet fodder is this bright, but they have all exhibited some survival instinct). One point, I've read that your AI buddies don't complete objectives. It's not a bug, they shouldn't! I had to shoot seven computers in a server room. The team stood there and watched me. It took me ten seconds. Three reviewers have complained about this. They're fucking retarded. After I completed the objective, it spawned an attack. Now, imagine for a minute that the AI had run in and done this for me... and an attack begins before I can even set myself up in the room. Would be shite, yeah? Yeah.

The enemies do take their share of bullets... until you unlock some better gear. Headshots are also effective, but not always a one hit kill. What I love is how easy it is to chuck grenades into upstairs room (sounds like a little thing, but how many times have you fucked this up in shooters?); and I love the different ability sets.

It's designed, patently, for multiple playthroughs to maximise the XP system and buy everything. Not tried online yet, want to complete the SP solo first.

So, first impressions are that it's actually a lot more solid than I dared hope, and I'm having far more fun with it than I did with Resi 5 (which, in hindsight, was shit; slick, but shit).

Oh, my big fear was that my three AI buddies would ruin the experience in the same way that Sheva Alomar destroyed my fun with the last game. They're all far smarter. Hey, at one point, I was cowering behind a wall while they cleared out a Licker nest.

Last point: a lot of forum tards are complaining that this is a stupid idea, as a concept, and not worthy of the Resi name. It isn't "canon". Can I just remind you, that within the canon, is a character called "Hunk" (I mean, come the fuck on); and at the end of the last game, I had to punch a fucking boulder. If you treasure that kind of shite, you have no quarter to bitch here.

Rent it; come play me. I'll be keeping this one around.

Full review pending, asap.

This has made me so happy. Some great examples to support your review bullshit calling. Now that NG3 is not that attractive, I am really really tempted to pick this up and do that online co-op we've been talking about. I really want some of the old Resi vibe - that's one of the primary pulls for me.
#17 at 07:07:37 - 22/03/2012
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
FlexibleFeline said:
ilmaestro said:So... better or worse than Sniper: Ghost Warrior?

Bwahah! :-)

:D

I always like to temper my reaction to rmj's love of bad games slightly, but I do agree that it sounds more promising reading those impressions than anything in "pro" reviews.

I get the impression that people were waiting for this game to get panned, so to some extent a lot of sites are going to give people what they want in that regard.
#18 at 09:39:41 - 22/03/2012
Espad
Flag
Comments:148
Thread Kills:20(1%)
AATG Pts:110
Star Rating
cool, im gald its not as bad as the reviews, this can go on my £20 list, thanks for the opinions RMJ!
#19 at 11:53:57 - 22/03/2012
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
Cellophane off.

Let's see whether I've just totally wasted my money.
#20 at 20:02:08 - 22/03/2012
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
FlexibleFeline said:Cellophane off.

Let's see whether I've just totally wasted my money.

Shit! I said RENT IT!

I'm on the last level. Played until 2.30 last night. WIll try for some co-op tomorrow (maybe later, if I get this poxy job application done in time). Really hope you're enjoying it.
#21 at 22:07:22 - 22/03/2012
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
Hey, my choice not yours, so don't worry - I was looking for any excuse that it might be playable.

I completed the first two levels and enjoyed it. God knows I wouldn't be drawn to it if it wasn't Raccoon City. I know that too (ergo I am God?). In terms of mechanics it's very average and I only started to really enjoy the shooting when zombies turned up and headshots became the order of the day.

I stress though average not bad - and certainly compelling for rabid fans of RE2 and RE3. The make or break will be online so I'd love to do some. I'll be able to - I think - from 20.00 GMT tomorrow so if you see me on and fancy it chuck us a message.
#22 at 22:33:32 - 22/03/2012
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Great bit of co-op, last night, flex. Was good to chat to you again.

Now kindly tell everyone else who thinks I'm mental that this is far better than everyone else is saying. :)
#23 at 17:12:17 - 24/03/2012
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
Yep, it was great. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The game is definitely better than many are saying and I think ilmaestro was right when he commented on the reason above.

I do think though the game is hard to recommend to anyone who isn't a die-hard resi fan - Resi 2 and 3 are my favourites which helps a lot (Resi 4 - meh! Okay, not meh, but Raccoon city and proper zombies, please). It's an average squad shooter with some pretty uneven spikes in difficulty and dubious design decisions. But it's also good fun and great in co-op. It's never a 3/10 - a 6 or 7 I think.

I'm going on again in a moment. Any time you see me on, feel free to join in / request an invite.
#24 at 18:19:55 - 24/03/2012
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
A definite 7...or even more. That mission to bring Nemesis under control is rather excellent.
#25 at 20:32:13 - 24/03/2012
Sillothian
Flag
Comments:127
Thread Kills:46(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Silver Medal
repairmanjack said:Great bit of co-op, last night, flex. Was good to chat to you again.

Now kindly tell everyone else who thinks I'm mental that this is far better than everyone else is saying. :)

A game that Flex and Mad like is hardly a ringing endorsement ;-)

Glad you are both liking the game. I definitely agree with Flex that Resi 2 & 3 are the best in the series. I'd love to see Capcom do HD remakes of both titles.
#26 at 22:08:22 - 24/03/2012
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
Sillothian said:
repairmanjack said:Great bit of co-op, last night, flex. Was good to chat to you again.

A game that Flex and Mad like is hardly a ringing endorsement ;-)

True that, hence me being somewhat circumspect ;-). I tend to be very forgiving, too forgiving, and would be an awful reviewer.

I really like Raccoon City and loved the nemesis level. I've now just watched the oil tanker crash separate Claire and Leon, and have gone chasing Leon, commanded to kill him :-)

This whole Resi thing aside, it's solid but not ground-breaking. There are plenty of annoyances but there are elements I really like - levelling up your special powers and bonuses, the atmosphere in some levels is rather good and - just occasionally - the game looks quite nice too.

I also had a go at an online team deatmatch with randoms - fighting off the other team - and zombies of course - while waiting for a rescue chopper; then trying to get on the chopper, which has limited space.

I got left behind :-(

I definitely agree with Flex that Resi 2 & 3 are the best in the series. I'd love to see Capcom do HD remakes of both titles.

Yes please. Very formative games for me, along with Morrowind, Deus Ex and MGS. I wonder what they would do though - I can't imagine they'd keep the control system.
#27 at 12:03:48 - 25/03/2012
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Free story DLC is up... one rather meaty mission playing as the good guys. Cuts into the story where Jill Valentine first meets the Nemesis.

Plays really well (yeah, I know) and feels stronger than some of the vanilla missions on the disc.

Give it a shot before you wave it off, Flex.
#28 at 14:15:58 - 10/04/2012
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
Think I will. If you see me on it tonight and fancy it, just pop in.

But first, I must download a certain other demo....
#29 at 19:35:35 - 10/04/2012
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Ended up gaming with a pal most of the night (love a bit of couch co-op). Did you try this, Flex? I'm really impressed with it. I think it's actually better than any mission on the disc. Doesn't reuse a lot of assets either - genuinely feels like a new experience.

God knows when we're getting the remaining missions... but I want 'em.

/awaits horde mode announcement
#30 at 04:55:12 - 11/04/2012

home