Author Reply
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Think we did this last year and it threw up some interesting results. It's always miffed me that Game of the Year discussions inevitably seem to neglect great product released before June. I guess this comes down to just how much is released in that pre-Christmas rush. But, this year, I don't think I've ever seen so many quality titles in the first half of the year.

So, what's done it for you so far? What are the big retail hits? What's milked your fun-teat with DLC? What's made you die inside when you realise just how shockingly poor it really is...? Game on:

The Best:

Red Dead Redemption - almost too obvious. Two years ago, somewhere on this forum, I was opining that someone should knuckle down and develop a GTA Wild West. I didn't imagine for one minute the results could be this sublime. Probably the finest game this year... maybe this gen, so far.

Alan Wake - a long time coming, but so worth the wait. A lot of people moaned that the final episode dragged a bit. I initially thought so to, but then I realised what the problem was: I was desperate to see how they would resolve the story. One of the most compelling games this gen, and certainly the most narratively competent. Review pending.

Just Cause 2 - as a fan of the first one (scored the full 1000 gamer points) I was always looking forward to this. Fun. In a tin.

Metro 2033 - oh, read the review. The most atmospheric FPS since Half-Life 2. Stunning visual/aural asthetic, a convincing world, and brutal gameplay. Takes the genre forward in ways that Infinity Ward, et al, can only dream about.

The Rest:

Heavy Rain - looks amazing, but haven't had time to finish it.
God of War 3 - looks amazing, but found the first hour of gameplay to be too damn familiar.
Uncharted 2 - was that this year? I have no idea why I haven't gone back and finished it!
Yakuza 3 - dated looks, odd gameplay choices, but a festival or stylish brutality... and a rather endearing story.
Blur/Spliet Second - both rather ace, but time will tell which lasts longer.
Lost Planet 2 - I was a complete whore for the first one, and will still happily play it online today. The sequel is bigger and brasher... but troubled with the same dodgy design decisions that ruined RE5.
Bioshock 2 - you should never go back. Didn't hold me the way the first one did (one of my favourite games ever), but the story did stay with me longer than I thought it might. Can we all agree, though, that - sometimes - multiplayer should just fuck off and die?
BBC2 - I enjoyed the SP, then went online and was murdered by people who started playing online a week ahead of me. Fucked matchmaking led to major imbalances. Level the playing field, DICE, you're supposed to be masters of this stuff!
Splinter Cell: Grumpy - still not sure if this should have slid further down the list... like shit down the wall.

XBLA/PSN:

Been quiet, hasn't it? Everyone's waiting for the golden Summer of Arcade to roll around again. That said:

Panzer Tank Battle (or whatever it's called) - excellent card/board game.
The WWI thing... erm, Alzheimer's may be setting in. Loved it, but can't remember the name of it.

Bag o' Shite:

Bayonetta - art for art's sake. Pretty. Vacant.
FFXIII - the most tedious four hours of my life.
Nier - there's something half-decent going on here, but it's so sloppily thrown together that I'm not sure I have the will to keep digging for it.
Dante's Inferno - you know what, all of the criticism I have repeatedly levelled at this (generic, dull, button-mashing combat, seen it all before) I'm starting to think could apply to GoW3!
Greed Corp - was so stoked for this. Still can't figure out how to play it. Shite tutorial is shite.
#1 at 15:04:10 - 01/06/2010
oneiros
Flag
Comments:78
Thread Kills:41(3%)
AATG Pts:95
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
repairmanjack said:
Greed Corp - was so stoked for this. Still can't figure out how to play it. Shite tutorial is shite.

The tutorial is indeed shite. I really enjoyed the demo (despite a few silly design/control decisions) but have barely bothered with the full game. Every level seems to end the same way, with a couple of isolated hexes left and everyone building carriers.
#2 at 15:09:27 - 01/06/2010
NewYork
Flag
Comments:1481
Thread Kills:105(2%)
AATG Pts:330
Star Rating
Gold Medal
The BEST:

Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth.

And if this thead results in an article, I don't want to see this game freakin' neglected.
#3 at 15:18:32 - 01/06/2010
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Agreed that it's been a bit of a slow year for XBLA and PSN stuff...still enjoyed the living fuck out of Fat Princess.

Part of the reason I don't do the GOTY thing any more is because my brain is hopeless at remembering what year a game came out in, and whether it was this year or last year.

Still, for those I can remember - I've enjoyed:

Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Just Cause 2
Heavy Rain
Alan Wake
Red Dead Redemption
Blur
Split/Second
Skate 3
God of War III
Mass Effect 2
Bayonetta

Those I could've done without:

Aliens vs Predator (tedious and dated shite)
Splinter Cell Conviction (emphasis on the con - so ridiculously short)
Bioshock 2 (the most disappointing sequel ever)
Dante's Inferno (It might look like GOW, play like GOW but baby, it ain't GOW and I can't believe it's getting a sequel! FFS!)
Perfect Dark XBLA (should've stayed in the dark)

#4 at 15:21:21 - 01/06/2010
CrispyXUK
Flag
Comments:5
Thread Kills:8(3%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
So far for me, it's Galaxy 2 by a long distance, mainly coz it's a game :D
#5 at 14:04:41 - 02/06/2010
Syrok
Flag
Comments:452
Thread Kills:81(2%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
So far I would have to say it's Heavy Rain followed by Just Cause 2. Those are also the only games of 2010 I bought so far. :)
#6 at 16:53:55 - 02/06/2010
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I guess I have to say Super Street Fighter IV? Which is silly, because it isn't, but I haven't really got round to playing much else. Started Heavy Rain and Lost Planet, only played a few hours of each, though.
#7 at 19:26:43 - 02/06/2010
HairyArse
Flag
Comments:1774
Thread Kills:127(2%)
AATG Pts:350
Star Rating
Gold Medal
/taps fingers
/demands esoteric SF review
#8 at 19:28:09 - 02/06/2010
Lexx87
Flag
Comments:5
Thread Kills:0(0%)
AATG Pts:30
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Red Dead Redemption so far for me!

Or Bad Company 2 when you've got a real team behind you and psychokitten giggling in your ear.
#9 at 19:28:59 - 02/06/2010
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Hmm, I guess Bayonetta and FFXIII count as 2010 now that I think about it, so I do have more options.

HairyArse said:/taps fingers
/demands esoteric SF review

:D
#10 at 19:49:28 - 02/06/2010
DDevil
Flag
Comments:240
Thread Kills:15(3%)
AATG Pts:135
Star Rating
Gold Medal
SSFIV! Wooooooooooo!
#11 at 20:03:02 - 02/06/2010
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I just remembered my real answer to this while reading GamesTM's review of it:

Espgaluda II on the iPhone
#12 at 09:50:59 - 23/06/2010
Rhythm
Flag
Comments:130
Thread Kills:87(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Syrok said:So far I would have to say it's Heavy Rain followed by Just Cause 2. Those are also the only games of 2010 I bought so far. :)

On a similar note, I've only played a couple of this year's games.

In order of win:

1 - Heavy Rain
2 - Bayonetta
3 - Mass Effect 2
4 - Red Dead
10 - Mario Galaxy 2
#13 at 09:55:55 - 23/06/2010
frod
Flag
Comments:102
Thread Kills:35(3%)
AATG Pts:130
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
GOTY is arriving tomorrow

Transformers :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy
#14 at 13:13:44 - 23/06/2010
Syrok
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Well, my game of the year comes out in a few month. LBP 2 o/
#15 at 13:35:22 - 23/06/2010
frod
Flag
Comments:102
Thread Kills:35(3%)
AATG Pts:130
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
we're still in June so TF counts ;-)
#16 at 15:00:44 - 23/06/2010
Flying_Pig
Flag
Comments:277
Thread Kills:25(2%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Of the games that have been released this year, I'd go for God of War 3 followed by Split/Second.
#17 at 15:09:33 - 23/06/2010
Murbal
Flag
Comments:38
Thread Kills:0(0%)
AATG Pts:30
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
The best:

Bayonetta
Metro 2033
Just Cause 2 (although I'm only about 10% of the way in after 13 hours, it's just been utterly ridiculous fun!)

Also enjoyed BFBC2 & Splinter Cell

Have but not yet given them enough time:

Mass Effect 2
Read Dead Redemption
Monster Hunter Tri
Alan Wake
SSFIV

@rmj - Uncharted was most definitely last year
#18 at 15:20:45 - 23/06/2010
DDevil
Flag
Comments:240
Thread Kills:15(3%)
AATG Pts:135
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Still Super Street Fighter IV.
#19 at 20:30:43 - 23/06/2010
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Syrok said:Well, my game of the year comes out in a few month. LBP 2 o/

This!

#20 at 10:22:22 - 24/06/2010
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
So far though if GOTY is gauged by how much you play a game or how many hours you've sunk into it, Blur probably wins purely because it's so stupidly addictive. The races and the narrow margins between success and failure just drive me into that cycle of instantly restarting a race and trying again if I fail a particular challenge (either gold-lighting it or grabbing the right number of fans or hitting the fan gates).

Still not managed to beat Asphaltonline's challenges though. Too fuppin' hard.
#21 at 11:05:09 - 24/06/2010
JimJam
Flag
Comments:189
Thread Kills:162(6%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Ok, I cracked yesterday and bought Red Dead Redemption. Fired it up last night at about 11pm, watched the intro, walked into the saloon and...

woke up on the sofa at 3:30am ! Not sure what happened there...
#22 at 12:14:27 - 24/06/2010
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
peej said:
Syrok said:Well, my game of the year comes out in a few month. LBP 2 o/

This!

Hype-merchants!

Let's hope it's not as fucking poor as the first one, eh lads? I'd love to know how many people actually finished the in-game levels. Shockingly finicky, some of them... utterly switched off all the young people we knew who just couldn't cope with how roughly the game handled in parts.
#23 at 12:56:07 - 24/06/2010
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I'm less fussed about the game itself, I just want to get my grubby little hands on those design tools again.

Agree that the first game wasn't for everyone though if you'd said that at the time of release I'd have probably cut your face off with a lawnmower :)
#24 at 13:01:32 - 24/06/2010
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
See, I completely get that, peej... and I was pretty sure that would be your (and Syrok's) response. The thng is though, in context, if I bought an FPS and the only thing I enjoyed about it was the level editor... well, I'd consider the "game" to be an abject failure. And a big old pile of shit.

I tried to play LBP with my daughter, but we ended up repeating a few levels ad nauseaum because she (and in some cases I) couldn't master the later levels. Looking at it, you'd initiaaly think it was very kid friendly, but the difficulty and - in some instances - poor implementation, made it, eventually, a failure in my eyes. Not touching the second one. I'm just not convinced they've learned their lesson this time around.
#25 at 13:29:43 - 24/06/2010
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
One of the things I didn't expect with LBP was that the creation process would far outstrip the fun you could have with the game either playing MM's own levels, or playing other community stuff. Didn't really matter that only a handful played stuff I'd made, the actual process of thinking out how to get around the limitations of LBP and the tools was a hell of a lot of fun and even now I'm tempted to go back to it to improve a few things I bollocksed up in some of my Manic Sackboy levels.

I entirely agree that the game could've had a bit more thought put into how you'd get little 'uns into playing and creating with a bit more ease and I definitely agree that it required a huge time commitment and a heck of a lot of patience to produce anything cool in it (I remember the countless hours lost to frustratedly unpicking a level just because something got glued to something else it shouldn't have, or a flippin' backdrop to a level ended up being deleted, causing the rest of the level to collapse) and yep it's a fair criticism to say that any game should equally be as much fun to play as to create stuff in (part of the problem I have with ModNation Racers is that I spend more time pissing around with the track and mod editor than playing the extremely hard challenges).
#26 at 13:35:53 - 24/06/2010
Syrok
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I think community levels will be much better in LBP 2, cause you know they can be actual games (It's really not just a fancy tag line) and thus there will a much bigger variety. There should be something for everyone in the end. It's just a matter of finding it again, though that will be easier too.

The few story levels I've played are already much better, too.

Edit: By the way, I agree with you that the later levels were a bit tough in places.
#27 at 16:50:13 - 24/06/2010
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I'm hoping there'll be a lot less of those silly jet car levels next time round, and perhaps a little more constructive moderation without the heavy-handedness that dogged the original.

Personally though if you're already impressed Sy, that'll be enough of a recommendation for me because I'm pretty sure you'd say if it was in any way a lesser game than the original :)

One of the other elements I'm seriously looking forward to is how much more you can include in existing LBP1 creations when you take 'em into LBP2 and jazz them up a bit.
#28 at 16:54:40 - 24/06/2010

home