Weird custom soundtracks

Author Reply
mal
Flag
Comments:165
Thread Kills:40(8%)
AATG Pts:85
Star Rating
The invention of custom soundtracks in games on consoles combined with my laziness in actually loading CDs onto them has meant that I generally play whatever games I'm playing using the last CD I loaded on. So different CDs always remind me of different games.

For example, whenever I listed to Mr Scruff (his Ninja Tuna album in particular) it reminds me of Wipeout HD. And the Beatles Red Album compilation is PGR2 (while PGR1 is Lemon Jelly). Especially on the xbox 1 where you set up the soundtracks in-game, I'd never bother to change them once I set the up, so one game would always be associated with one soundtrack.

Has anyone else managed to associate inappropriate music with specific games or is it just me?
#1 at 16:08:29 - 26/02/2009
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I put in a bunch of Erik Satie piano concertos as my custom soundtrack for Wipeout HD. Surprisingly, blasting around futuristic tracks to really funereal classical music is utterly brilliant.

#2 at 16:09:58 - 26/02/2009
NewYork
Flag
Comments:1481
Thread Kills:105(2%)
AATG Pts:330
Star Rating
Gold Medal
When I was playing Final Fantasy VII, I was just a RPG n00b kid (didn't even know that you could set materia and then be able to cure people even up to the Shinra building).

So, naturally, the only way I thought I could possibly beat the final boss was to level up to level 99 with my three characters. So I'd run up and down the same stretch of screen, winning each random battle. I must have done this for hours and days.

My soundtrack to this was Radio 1, and the popular song at the time was Strong by Robbie Williams.

So thinking of FFVII always comes packaged with a memory of that song (and the tireless level grinding). Actually, thinking of Robbie William's Strong then makes me think of the Bugs Life videogame, which I also played while listening to Radio 1.

Midnight Club 3 makes me think of Beyonce's Crazy in Love (which the DJ liked so much he played 3 times in a row).

Revising for exams makes me think of Led Zepplin (I can't listen to Led Zepplin any more as it comes with a horrible sense of dread.)

Most recently, Flower (particularly the pylon level, which is what I've played about twenty times) makes me think of the funny podcast I was listening to at the time (the topic of discussion was ass-sex, so it actually makes me think of that).

Oh, and GTA IV = Cyndi Lauper. Go figure.
#3 at 16:21:52 - 26/02/2009
Syrok
Flag
Comments:452
Thread Kills:81(2%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Not really custom, but the choice of classical music in Burnout Paradise makes it somehow much more enjoyable then playing it with standard choice of contemporary music they have.
Classical music seems to work quiet well with all racing games, I find. Even while just driving around Liberty City in GTA3 the classic radio station was my station of choice.

Since most games on the PS3 don't support custom soundtracks I still just to it the old way; turn off the in-game music and turn your CD player or radio. :)
#4 at 16:46:23 - 26/02/2009
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Love a bit of classical in GTA as well. Something quite soothing about seeing a whole building go up to the strains of a bit of Ludwig Van B
#5 at 16:47:13 - 26/02/2009
Hughes.
Flag
Comments:284
Thread Kills:28(5%)
AATG Pts:190
Star Rating
Gold Medal
For some reason I left my copy of Urban Hymns in the PC for a very, very long time, mostly because I rarely used the CD drive for anything, and didn't much miss the album, so I'd just forget it was in there. Quake would always access the CD to look for music, and as The Verve was what was always in there, it seemed to choose Sonnet most if the time, so I associate that song with grunting monsters and the sound of grenades bouncing off walls and exploding. If I ever play Quake these days I find it hard to play without Urban Hymns on.
#6 at 18:38:28 - 26/02/2009
mal
Flag
Comments:165
Thread Kills:40(8%)
AATG Pts:85
Star Rating
Heh. I hate Urban Hymns era Verve, and don't particularly get on with FPSes, so that works for me :)

I also find classical music (or laid-back music) works well with racing games. I find my lap times in PGR4 are more consistent on the classical soundtrack, but I have to skip past Wagner since that always fucks up my concentration.
#7 at 19:17:02 - 26/02/2009
Syrok
Flag
Comments:452
Thread Kills:81(2%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I just remembered that I have Rule Britannia on my PS3. It's bit weird listening to that while Wipeout. :)
#8 at 19:23:58 - 27/02/2009
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:175
Thread Kills:38(2%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Silver Medal
It's not really an odd mix but I always used the Datsuns for Burnout. Screaming through oncoming traffic as they break into another wah-laden solo is just...well, utterly brilliant basically.
#9 at 19:36:27 - 27/02/2009

home