Goodnight Bagpuss

Author Reply
mal
Flag
Comments:165
Thread Kills:40(8%)
AATG Pts:85
Star Rating
Oliver Postgate, creator of the Clangers and Bagpuss (and personal favourite, Ivor the Engine) has died aged 83.

Hats off.
#1 at 13:09:14 - 09/12/2008
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
As I said on EG, a terrible shame. Did a lot of excellent kids books too (my nipper's inherited a load of mine so she will at least get to know about his creations before some nasty telly execs redo the whole thing and bollocks it all up)
#2 at 13:11:29 - 09/12/2008
Jellyhead
Flag
Comments:35
Thread Kills:38(4%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Goodbye, Mr Postgate.
Loved the clangers, for some reason Ivor the Engine was on the telly all the time when i was a kid in Wales but Bagpuss never really struck with me but i can't even begin to describe why.

Stupid Mice, couldn't mend everything eh? :(
#3 at 13:23:24 - 09/12/2008
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Pretty sure that everyone of a certain age will remember the chocolate biscuit machine from Bagpuss. In fact, it's really the only episode I can remember as I've not watched it since childhood. But what an ace episode and what an ace bloke he was.

#4 at 13:25:42 - 09/12/2008
JimJam
Flag
Comments:189
Thread Kills:162(6%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
peej said:Pretty sure that everyone of a certain age will remember the chocolate biscuit machine from Bagpuss. In fact, it's really the only episode I can remember as I've not watched it since childhood. But what an ace episode and what an ace bloke he was.

The only one I really remember was the one where the mice used a ballet shoe to row down an orange squash river (and round some really melty stilton). RIP Mr Postgate :(
#5 at 19:57:30 - 09/12/2008
Barchetta
Flag
Comments:67
Thread Kills:9(5%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Just caught this news as we've been busy with my 5 year old boys birthday party - sad to end a really happy day on such a note.

Of all the DVDs/Videos we watch I am always chuffed at the number of times The Clangers, Bagpuss and in particular Ivor the Engine get the vote. Together with Trumpton and Camberwick Green they form a much gentler entertainment than most of the current stuff. Makes me pine for my childhood at times too.

I think the sheer amount of love and enthusiasm for animation shines through in an honest-to-goodness way that most 'industrialised' animation simply doesn't express. Sure the big budget stuff can take the breath away, but I don't get that warm, generous feeling watching it.

Here's hoping we don't see any CGI Ivor on the back of the recent sale of the rights but I'm not banking against it. Let these classics remain unfettered by cack-handed modernisation - my kids acceptance and enjoyment of the originals stands as testament to their enduring ability to capture the imagination.

RIP Mr Postgate.
#6 at 23:07:02 - 09/12/2008
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
One thing that's sadder than his loss is that there's really no one to fill his shoes. Nearest we've got is Nick Park who does at least try to "keep things reasonably British" in the stuff he does (I go a bundle on the models - where else do you see classic old British cars cropping up in stop-frame animated stuff?)

IIRC Park and Postgate were big pals and you can see that Park probably thought the sun shone out of the old boy's backside. Rightly so, he was a master of his craft.

I'll be shunning any remakes from orbit. Can you imagine a yank company remaking Bagpuss as a streetwise hip-hop cat about town?
#7 at 08:47:44 - 10/12/2008

home