Author Reply
Whizzo
Flag
Comments:146
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:165
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
No I've not gone mad with the thread title, it's just that I saw this linked to on another forum and thought it rather interesting to see what was being written about what might happen in WWII, if it happens!

War Machines from June 1939, it's certainly the first time I've read something like that and it's an interesting read. I did enjoy the part where it mentions that analysts felt the "Blitzkrieg" tactic of the Germans was unsound. :-)
#1 at 11:49:09 - 24/12/2007
JimJam
Flag
Comments:189
Thread Kills:162(6%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
"but as of June 1939 the French army is still the strongest all-around fighting machine in Europe"

Mmmm, that worked out well then.
#2 at 11:53:34 - 24/12/2007
Khab
Flag
Comments:1
Thread Kills:5(14%)
AATG Pts:0
Star Rating
Well, it was, by general definition. The reason France got pummeled is the Wehrmacht generals had just figured out how to revolutionize land warfare by using concentrated tank formations in pincer movements, to encircle and cut off the enemy. Aka Blitzkrieg.

Edit: Heh. Very cool paragrapgh, in hindsight:

The modern German theory of victory by Blitzkrieg (lightning war) is untried and, in the opinion of many experts, unsound. Further, if Germany plans to carry war deep into Russian territory in case of Soviet participation, old Moscow Generals January and February (alias Cold and Hunger) will probably ruin Chief of High Command Wilhelm Keitel's reputation even as they ruined Napoleon's in 1812. But whatever their failings in grand strategy, the Germans are among the world's greatest technicians in the art of war.

So wrong and so right at the same time, and he didn't even know it.
#3 at 01:39:39 - 25/12/2007
Khanivor
Flag
Comments:11
Thread Kills:28(8%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I think the French were mainly stuffed because their plans did not allow for the possibility the Germans would go around the Maginot Line without stopping to sample the local produce:D

Nice link Whizzo.
#4 at 19:09:04 - 25/12/2007
Khab
Flag
Comments:1
Thread Kills:5(14%)
AATG Pts:0
Star Rating
Well, that did certainly have something to do with it, but (as the article states) it was expected that the Belgians and Dutch would stall any Germans offensive for at least long enough to redeploy the French Army, or even make a counterattack across the Maginot into Germany. But Blitzkrieg meant the Germans stomped all over the low countries in days, and the french were caught with their proverbial pants down, and had to leave most of their artillery and heavy armour behind.

Note also how the Expeditionary Force was forced to withdraw time and time again, for fear of being encircled, resulting in Dunquerque.

Simply put, everyone but the Germans were using tanks the "wrong" way at this point.
#5 at 01:47:31 - 28/12/2007

home