Khanivor
Flag
Comments:11
Thread Kills:28(8%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
This is an appeal thread, so I request of you to read the whole thing:

This is an appeal to you lot. I have a friend who runs a coffee shop. For a variety of reasons, too aggravating and long-winded to get into here, she has an establishment that needs a good bit of work to bring it up to spec. The front of the house is acceptable Ė could do with some tweaking but for now itís not the main concern in getting things looking tight.

Rather it is the corridor which goes out from the main area, past the storeroom and the office on the left and passed the ugly alcove on the right which currently looks like the plain plasterboard that defines its space by having been penetrated by fat people leaning against the walls, creating chaotic holes which do no one the service that is due; neither customer nor owner. The right hand turn towards the lavs ainít so bad but the lavs themselves need to be upgraded beyond their current state of Ďonly venture into if I REALLY A NEED TAE. Thereís also a generously sized rectangular room for which no purpose has been found. Naturally I lean towards making it AWESOME by the inclusion of a MAME table but the volume and location leaves it wide open to all kinds of improvements.

Iím asking the gifted Ė for all the many definitions of such word that can be found here Ė to put on their thinking helmets and help my dumb southerner posse come up with an overall AND particular aesthetic which will turn this coffee shop from a work in progress to a place where progression oozes out of the pores.

If yer interested in this brief please mark this thread as interesting. Photos of the conditions on the ground will be forthcoming. Itís been decided that the army of reconstruction is within our grasp and with the talents, skills and ken that will arise from the hopeful combination of EG phorum power and people on the ground, working for, besides the special brew that we will boil tomorrow and an eagerness to see small business take the reigns and point them in a fine new direction, make this place a space that punters cannot deny is the best place to relax, sit back and chill out while they drink their smoothies, espressos and other caffeinated drinks while also being unable to avoid the lure of the tastiest of sarnies.

Iím asking for the EG massive to scattergun me with ideas. To shoot an idea of such brilliance it is like a railgun shot delivered mid-jump pad. To express their creative impulses, honed on years of gaming and similar loved and complimentary media, with an appreciation of the more potent aspects of history, to help the willing workers have something incredible to fashion in this wide-open space come a week on Monday.

Iíll be providing links to pics of the site later on in the week. IF you fancy coming on board, youíll have a few days to go butt wild and inflict MASSIVE DAMAGE on staleness and conformity.
So if you have an artistic aesthetic or adventurous idea about the above, or even something more general, then please get involved in this thread. Your contribution will help makes this thread evolve from the drunken concerns of me for my best friend and her business into a collaborative effort that will truly be the next gen of coffee shop design.

Cheers, Khani
#1 at 09:33:02 - 23/08/2007
Khanivor
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal

Edited by your friendly neighbourhood Spider-mod
#2 at 10:04:32 - 23/08/2007
Mr J
Flag
Comments:3
Thread Kills:5(2%)
AATG Pts:90
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
ah my eyes

please make the links look nice, it's too early and my head is to hungover for the above

/wimpers
#3 at 10:32:31 - 23/08/2007
billdoor
Flag
Comments:183
Thread Kills:158(4%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Khanivor said:
#4 at 10:36:45 - 23/08/2007
Mr J
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Feeling a bit like the link police here,

but Bill, link five you missed a g should be

#5 at 10:59:21 - 23/08/2007
Mr J
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Okay, is it big enough for a pool table?

everywhere should always have a pooltable.
#6 at 11:18:41 - 23/08/2007
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Liking the colours.

Tell you what it needs, and particularly for where it is - lots and lots of b/w jazz dude photos.

Seriously. It would look superb.

Oh and cheers to Spidermod, that was what I just logged in to do but you beat me to it :)

Peej
#7 at 11:47:25 - 23/08/2007
quedex
Flag
Comments:171
Thread Kills:49(3%)
Star Rating
Khanivor said:Naturally I lean towards making it AWESOME by the inclusion of a MAME table...

Arcade shooters + double shot espresso + chocolate cake = ULTIMATE WIN!
#8 at 12:03:43 - 23/08/2007
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Actually Quedex has a point. Cocktail cabinet arcade shooters in there would be stupendously good.

Peej
#9 at 12:48:25 - 23/08/2007
JimJam
Flag
Comments:189
Thread Kills:162(6%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I'd just got started on ideas when I realised that you'd posted some photos of what they're going for. My 'Rapture before things went tits up' theme went out the window...

/absolutely loves Art Deco
/thinks all Espresso joints should be Art Deco
#10 at 14:11:46 - 23/08/2007
Tiger_Walts
Flag
Comments:322
Thread Kills:67(4%)
AATG Pts:190
Star Rating
Gold Medal
You could try and get a little library going, allow people to donate and take old books as they please.

I used to go to a laundrette that had a book box like this. You'll find a lot of people will support this.
#11 at 14:21:06 - 23/08/2007
papa rabbit
Flag
Comments:14
Thread Kills:7(6%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Aye that's right. Books = Book Crossing, could be rather handy for word of mouth.

An old school arcade cab sounds good too. If it's not gonna hog the room it shouldn't be a big risk, you could put a few games on it and have SF2 comps every so often.
#12 at 14:45:06 - 23/08/2007
Mr J
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Declare the room as private property, list it as a flat or something

chuck in a couple of ashtrays, watch business soar
#13 at 14:56:18 - 23/08/2007
JimJam
Flag
Comments:189
Thread Kills:162(6%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Oh yeah, daft as it sounds, get some old board games too, like Connect 4 and daft stuff like that. Went down a treat at a coffee shop we used to go to in Seattle. Also, loads of nice old books, to echo what others have already said.
#14 at 15:45:30 - 23/08/2007
quedex
Flag
Comments:171
Thread Kills:49(3%)
Star Rating
Get a liquor license, so you can serve Irish Coffee (or other coffee + shot concoctions)
#15 at 16:08:58 - 23/08/2007
Khanivor
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
First, sorry about the links. Was pissed and tired and didn't check the post before going to bed.

There was thought about getting a pool table in but the cost is too high. Fundage is tight, so unfortunately getting in new things is going to be difficult.

I think the library idea however, is a winner, especially as it could be stocked from 2nd hand shops and flea markets quite cheaply.

There are already loads of board games, but not much space to play them. I defninetly think the back room needs to be comfy-ised and this should help address that problem.

There is talk of getting a beer licence. Liquor is another matter, as it requires a separate permit in this state and you need to have seating for something like 70 patrons before you can even apply. Tis weird, and a real pain when you are in a bar that doesn't have a liquor license and you fancy a shot of something to perk you up.

Cheers for all the positive response folks. We plan on starting work on the place the week after next so any more ideas stand the chance of bein included in the progress :)
#16 at 20:54:12 - 23/08/2007

home