Author Reply
Khanivor
Flag
Comments:11
Thread Kills:28(8%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Right, Bioshock is almost upon us. My PC is now sitting in a container up in NY, waiting for the Homeland Security to take it apart looking for boxes of rags. Or is it bombs with rags on their heads? Whatever, as long as they don't inspect my bag of Fishermen's Friends I'll be happy.

But this means I won't have my puter here by the time Bioshock comes out. The stop-gap, a P4 w/512 ram and my X800 PE I took over with me in my suitcase just will not cut it. Do I go nuts and buy a whole new comp, or bite the bullit and wait till my baby arrives? I'd only have to rip out her brains, skeleton and eyes and replace them for pwnage.

Or. Do I take a gamble on an Elite and hope I am a)lucky to get a new one and b)then do not go further and buy a 50" HDTV for 2k as well.

All the above are, as I'm sure you would heartily agree, essential purchases. But the fact I don't have house of my own to put them in just yet, nor the money to pay for them except on the never-never... argh?

The evil side of me is saying - you have a flat you can stay in. Maybe nothing in it but a couch and fridge but the leccie works, so that 60" (inflation, it's a bugger) telly will have plenty of space and that surround sound system which you discovered got bought at the same time, well, I could be in hog heaven really. I can get all the free beer I need from my place of work. The Pot Noodle type-thing they have over here ain't that rank.

Choices, choices.
#1 at 06:26:09 - 17/08/2007
Harry
Flag
Comments:7
Thread Kills:18(2%)
AATG Pts:0
Star Rating
My motto, which I tend to bring out in such circumstances is - "if in doubt, do it anyway!"

It has served me well.
#2 at 11:29:07 - 17/08/2007
smoothpete
Flag
Comments:6
Thread Kills:3(1%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Don't just go and spunk a load of cash on your credit cards if you can't afford to pay it back. DANGER!
#3 at 12:19:12 - 17/08/2007
JimJam
Flag
Comments:189
Thread Kills:162(6%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Thing is, if you're going to get your PC back at some point, why buy an Elite ? Just get a standard 360, and if it breaks, get it replaced on the warranty.
#4 at 12:24:08 - 17/08/2007
Salaman
Flag
Comments:40
Thread Kills:88(7%)
AATG Pts:130
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
/slaps face several times

SNAP OUT OF IT DAMMIT!

You've got a PC on it's way. Sure it may not be there in time for the new "OMFG it's t3h game of the c3tury!l0l"!121!!" but just suck it up, wait and avoid all bioshcock topics until then.

Just think back of the last big game. Doom3, Half Life 2. If you'd gone and bought an HDTV telly and an new console to play that rather wait a week or two despite not having the cash, you'd probably be looking back today and thinking "that was a really fucking stupid thing to do".

Seriously. It's the hype talking.
It's still a game. A GAME. It's not an essential and if you're just setting yourself up on the other side of the pond, I reckon you'll be wanting to focus on essentials. You know. Finding a place to live and such.

So in summary: SNAP OUT OF IT!

/slaps face several more times
#5 at 13:54:13 - 17/08/2007
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:175
Thread Kills:38(2%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Do what I do - work such insane hours you have no time for playing games. Or seeing friends or family. Or sleep.

Er...anyway, the principle's right. I agree with Salaman though - if you've got your PC on the way then it'd be a bit silly to splurge your cash on a 360 and TV you don't really need/want...

On a more specific note I'm convinced that Bioshock is more of a PC game than a 360 game, and I'm personally waiting for the delivery of my luvverly new 24" iMac to play it. Something about them 360 controls just didn't feel quite right, PC all the way, I reckon.

All that said, I'm an awful tosser when it comes to resisting buying stuff. Give me a day or two thinking about something I don't really need and I'll convince myself I actually do need it. A certain 24" iMac, for instance...:)

/Contributes nothing to thread whatsoever
#6 at 00:08:48 - 18/08/2007
Khanivor
Flag
Comments:11
Thread Kills:28(8%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Aye, you're all right. That means you too Harry :D

I will wait till my PC shows up. Probably. See, the thing is I want a 360 to go with the PC anyway; no Live on the PC, no PGR4 or Mass Effect, etc. And I will need a telly. Sure, not an HDTV one but my reasoning is if I spend loads of money on stuff to keep me entertained at home I won't go out of the home for entertainment as much, so over time it pays for itself.

/hops on a dhow
#7 at 00:17:08 - 18/08/2007

home