What films have you been watching recently?

Author Reply
NewYork
Flag
Comments:1481
Thread Kills:105(2%)
AATG Pts:330
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I'll probably end up seeing it as my brother says it's "not bad" and it boasts the voice talents of the awesome Tracy Morgan.

Plus I'm a sucker for talking animals.
#871 at 16:35:37 - 18/08/2009
NewYork
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Tropic Thunder: So, so funny. It was a bit corny in the setup, but then they ran with it. Robert Downey Jr is amazing (he's more black than the black guy), and the bit where he's playing an Australian playing a black American playing a Chinese dude is amazing, because it works so well. The cast go great together, and the setting is gorgeous. Love it.

No Country For Old Men: Good till it goes all bizarre. Cinematography is beautiful, and there's a perfect still, tense atmosphere about the whole thing. The "sugar" guy (dunno what his actual name is) is a very scary dude. Now maybe I'm just not high-brow enough, but the ending screws it all up for me. The movie stops caring about the important details, robs me of the confrontation I'd been waiting for, and, of course, ends randomly. I'm sure there's loads of explanations online, but films shouldn't require homework. However good it started off, the ending truly ruined the whole thing for me. Tommy Lee Jones is the man, though.
#872 at 15:33:27 - 21/08/2009
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Comments:83
Thread Kills:129(4%)
AATG Pts:220
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Starship Troopers
Looks good on blu ray, plenty of female nakedness and almost as good as Verhoven's other films like Total Recall but is missing something, possibly the actor's fault for having a complete lack of charisma. Denise Richards grins more then Tom Cruise.

A History Of Violence
Excellent performances all around and, even though the big 'twist' is bloody obvious, how it gets there and deals with it afterwards is excellent. Cronenberg and Mortensen both seem to be at the top of their game right now. Maria Bello in a cheerleader outfit is a nice bonus.

Paprika
Felt like a TV manga film with little of the artistry of the best Japanese animation. Decent plot about dreams and technology but nothing particularly special.

The International
Nothing like I was expecting. Instead of an intelligent thriller or crime film with a bit of action I got Clive Owen wandering around on the hunt for evil bankers. It's pretty dull and the plot is made to seem more complex than it really is.
#873 at 00:57:37 - 25/08/2009
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Comments:43
Thread Kills:25(2%)
AATG Pts:75
Star Rating
The Hurt Locker
A solid and engaging thriller, with some unusual depth to the characters.

Probably most remarkable for the ballsiness of its totally repetitive structure and Iraq merely serving as context for examining how military men cope under pressure - not a whiff of politics in here, thankfully.
#874 at 22:06:54 - 27/08/2009
billdoor
Flag
Comments:183
Thread Kills:158(4%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Micro_Explosion said:Starship Troopers
Looks good on blu ray, plenty of female nakedness and almost as good as Verhoven's other films like Total Recall but is missing something, possibly the actor's fault for having a complete lack of charisma. Denise Richards grins more then Tom Cruise.

A History Of Violence
Excellent performances all around and, even though the big 'twist' is bloody obvious, how it gets there and deals with it afterwards is excellent. Cronenberg and Mortensen both seem to be at the top of their game right now. Maria Bello in a cheerleader outfit is a nice bonus.

Denise Richards is a pair of breasts with legs attached to them. I remember at release in an interview it was apparent the who satirical nature of the film in its parodying of Americas right wing gung-ho nature had gone entirely over her head. Top film though, first DVD I bought. It was a flipper too.

And after LotR it was a bit of a shock to find Viggo was a bloody awesome actor :)
#875 at 09:37:36 - 28/08/2009
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Inglourious Basterds.

It's odd that at times the film feels overly long, but at the same time, I think Tarantino really nails the pacing of certain moments and scenes. The opener with the slow dread building up with the SS officer and the farmer... and the lead up to the baseball scene.

Not as gruesome as I'd feared. Thought Pitt was ace and would have liked to see more of him. Loved the ending to.

Hell, even the date loved it. Would happily see it again.
#876 at 15:31:35 - 29/08/2009
NewYork
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I'm just glad I didn't realise that Pitt's mate was BJ Novak from The Office until after the credits otherwise it'd have ruined the whole film for me.

I did spend some moments thinking "where have I seen him before...?"
#877 at 19:33:29 - 29/08/2009
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Star Wars: Phantom Menace, Clone Wars, Revenge of the Sith

The pacing is all over the place, they're badly edited and feel like they're directed by someone who makes cutscenes for video games. The script is terrible for the majority of them, the acting is wooden and lacking any charisma. Anakin's story is that of a whiny teen rather than the tragic villain resulting in a 'who cares' feeling when he does get cut down. The music is just weird - some of the new bits are very good but the cuts between the old themes and the new bits are very jarring.

High points:
Darth Maul (ruined by the editing)
Natalie Portman in the white outfit
Ewan McGregor struggling to pretend he's Alec Guiness
The Jedi getting killed (although it was done far too quickly and in a slightly off hand way - the music worked well with it, despite the appalling acting of the unknown Jedi shown)
Jimmy Smits

Low Points:
90% of The Phantom Menace - totally pointless film. Nothing of any importance happens
70% of The Clone Wars - Very little of interest happens
Too much trying to be crammed into Revenge of the Sith, resulting in the more interesting/entertaining parts being woefully unexplored
The turning of Anakin - missed opportunity
Samuel L. Jackson
The Yoda lightsabre fights - just 'cos the fans screamed for it doesn't mean it should be done. It just looks stupid.
Jar Jar Binks
Boba Fett
Chewie
etc.

If they took all three films and re-edited them completely, dropping a lot of the first then there's something decent there. It just needs a bit of humanity adding in and less shite SFX (the Phantom Menace FX look pretty ropey in places, mainly with the colour balance of the actors compared to their surroundings)
#878 at 02:02:55 - 31/08/2009
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
United 93
Astoundingly well made. There's not a slightest hint of blame, melodrama, cynicism or over-sentimentality in it and that alone makes it one of the best 'fact based' films I think I've ever seen. The subject is treated with so much respect and yet at the same time isn't afraid to show what probably happened in the air (and did happen on the ground).

With such a sensitive subject it's hard to think of many directors that could have come close to the quality of this without diluting or overplaying parts that shouldn't be. Based on his work of just the last 10 years, Paul Greengrass is one of the top few directors.
#879 at 02:16:40 - 31/08/2009
billdoor
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
The Secret Life of Bees.
Post war drama set in America, coming of age, racism and all that shit rather than anything fun. It starts off with a 4 year old accidently shooting her mum ffs. Still, it was fairly gripping and certainly passed the time.

I wanted to watch the Spirit but it was the missus turn to choose :)
#880 at 10:06:28 - 31/08/2009
billdoor
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
The Spirit

Odd, damn odd. Curse you frank Miller, it looks great, has a top cast but you've spoiled it with your script.

I'm sure its supposed to be a commentary on something or a pastiche but it just ends up being a bit arse unfortunately. Sort of like you imagine Kieron Gillians Thor will be.
#881 at 18:43:17 - 31/08/2009
billdoor
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
The day the earth stood still (2008 remake)

Sort of an alien eco message mess of a film that either was poorly written or terribly edited. A case in point- after all the scientists are rounded up into a bunker, we're told there is just over an hour until the object strikes, and then the next scene they're all on in a helicopter in the drop zone. For no good reason.

Anyway, Jennifer Connelly is the real lead, not Reeves so its almost watchable.

Almost.
#882 at 22:46:28 - 31/08/2009
Syrok
Flag
Comments:452
Thread Kills:81(2%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
This thread is great by the way. Makes finding good movies a lot easier. :)
#883 at 19:49:40 - 04/09/2009
NewYork
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
The Simpsons Movie: Yep, just a long episode. And too cartoony for my liking (yes, I know it's a cartoon, but you get my point). Some funny moments, but it ain't worth it. The plot is very fast-paced and changes direction so many times you won't know what the movie's really going to be about till about halfway through (kinda like the episodes, really). It's just so manic, hot-cutting from scene to scene, joke to joke, pointless cameo to pointless cameo. And after it's over, I realise it's just washed over me like I didn't even watch it at all. Booo. 4/10

Be Kind Rewind: The movie doesn't seem quite sure how serious it wants to be. Nothing terribly funny in here. Good performance from Mos Def - he's a really likeable character. The ending is kinda heartwarming - kinda. Way less zany than the trailer makes it out to be. Not really worth the time unless you're a huge Jack Black/Mos Def fan. 6/10

Rocket Science: About a teen with a crippling stutter who is scouted to join the school's debate team by a hot chick. Very cool film, which seems like a generic geek-becomes-hero flick till a brilliant twist (and then a twist on the twist). Very likeable and identifiable main character, who is worth rooting for, surrounded by a funny supporting cast. A bit random, but everything fits together nicely. A nice slow pace and very sober camerawork and editing. Could do without the narration. The ending is satisfyingly bittersweet. Love this. 8/10
#884 at 20:18:46 - 04/09/2009
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
What was the point of the Irish kid in the Simpson Movie. He was there as some sort of love interest and then they seemed to forget about him.

Agree about the film though. It was like thay had 50 minutes of actual plot then threw in random bits that they thought would be amusing to make up the rest of the time but without them tying up with the rest of the story.

Batman Begins
Again.
:)
#885 at 21:30:33 - 04/09/2009
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Coraline
It tells the story of a child who finds a secret door in her new house, through which is an 'opposite world' which may not be all that it seems to be.

Very good and does that rare thing for animation these days - darkness with the 'magical' thing kids love. It's very reminiscent of the old style Disney stuff in tone.

The animation is excellent as normal from Selleck and it all just feels right.

I'm not a fan of the 3D thing at all though. You lose a lot of the colour/detail and half the time I was looking for which bit was going to be in 3D and it feels like a pointless gimmick. The 2D version is excellent.
#886 at 02:28:21 - 05/09/2009
HairyArse
Flag
Comments:1774
Thread Kills:127(2%)
AATG Pts:350
Star Rating
Gold Medal
District 9

One of the best films I've seen in a long while.

Astonishing special effects, a great storyline and action sequences and a genuinely intelligent narrative.

The only issue I have with it is that the lead actor sounds scouse whenever he swears or gets mad.
#887 at 12:53:28 - 08/09/2009
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
billdoor said:The Spirit

Odd, damn odd. Curse you frank Miller, it looks great, has a top cast but you've spoiled it with your script.

I'm sure its supposed to be a commentary on something or a pastiche but it just ends up being a bit arse unfortunately. Sort of like you imagine Kieron Gillians Thor will be.

You'd better be kidding about KG doing Thor...
#888 at 13:06:42 - 08/09/2009
Syrok
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Hotel Rwanda

Excellent film, but also really sad. It made me cry.

Can't believe how stupid the western politician were (and probably still are)
#889 at 23:50:07 - 15/09/2009
billdoor
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
peej said:
billdoor said:The Spirit

You'd better be kidding about KG doing Thor...

Nope

O_o
#890 at 16:54:01 - 16/09/2009
evilashchris
Flag
Comments:592
Thread Kills:53(2%)
AATG Pts:200
Star Rating
Gold Medal
HairyArse said:District 9

One of the best films I've seen in a long while.

Astonishing special effects, a great storyline and action sequences and a genuinely intelligent narrative.

The only issue I have with it is that the lead actor sounds scouse whenever he swears or gets mad.

Agree with all of this except the scouse bit!

Fooking Prawns!
#891 at 18:36:04 - 16/09/2009
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Brick
Excellent central performance by Joseph Gordon-Levitt although I did spend the entire time thinking 'he's much better than he was in 3rd Rock from the Sun' or he looks too much like Heath Ledger to not be the next Joker which was distracting.

Very good plot that follows his character who is finding who and why someone killed a girl he was in love with, all of the time without making you feel at all sorry for him or anyone else involved.

The only real criticism is that the lack of a budget is noticeable with the strange lack of any people appearing other than those involved in the central plot i.e. the town is otherwise deserted. It does make it all feel a bit odd, sometimes it's good, sometimes less so.
#892 at 21:10:04 - 16/09/2009
Mapster
Flag
Comments:72
Thread Kills:14(2%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
There were 247 F words in District 9.

I didn't count them, but someone did as the info is listed on IMDB :)

Great film.
#893 at 16:33:53 - 17/09/2009
Jellyhead
Flag
Comments:35
Thread Kills:38(4%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Moon: I really enjoyed it. Clint Mansell could have come up with two melodies for the film though, i was a bit fed up of hearing the same riff over-and-over by the end.

I enjoyed the slow pace and the fact that the script didn't descend into lazy hollywood cliche but kept me curious and interested all the way through. Great performance by Sam Rockwell too i have to say.

Not everyone's cup of tea, it's certainly not a film Michael Bay could have ever made but if you want some easy-going sci-fi then it's perfect.
#894 at 14:25:58 - 18/09/2009
Mapster
Flag
Comments:72
Thread Kills:14(2%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Agreed, Moon is fantastic.
#895 at 20:49:10 - 18/09/2009
mal
Flag
Comments:165
Thread Kills:40(8%)
AATG Pts:85
Star Rating
So, finally got round to seeing No Country for Old Men. Now, I have a theory I've been exercising that runs that the Cohen's haven't made a good film since The Big Lebowski (yet I still end up paying good money to see them), but as I watched, the intricate plot and tension put me in mind of the classic Blood Simple. However, then it changed tack by resolving the main plot points to bring the action elements forward. But just as you're getting used to that, the film changes again. This last section acts as a sort of coda and isn't entirely welcome after the middle stint's energy, but it does add to the films intrigue. So despite my initial misgivings, I really enjoyed the film. And it was nice to see Kelly Macdonald playing outside her comfort zone. Good performances from all the cast actually, both big name and not, though that's to be expected from a Cohen brothers film at least.

I just hope it's not another film like The Man Who Wasn't There which I enjoyed the first time round, but found it mainly charmless second time round.
#896 at 04:26:01 - 20/09/2009
Syrok
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Coraline. Pretty good overall, except for the scene that are probably great in 3D, but without it are just a little strange.

Blood Diamond. Didn't like whoever played the white guy and the film was a bit too Hollywood for me.

Tropic Thunder. Didn't think it was very funny. Seemed pretty pointless to me (maybe that was the point).
#897 at 23:21:06 - 20/09/2009
Syrok
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I watched In the Loop the other day, which I really enjoyed and just now I watched The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, which was a bit too long but apart from that it quite nice.
#898 at 00:46:46 - 26/09/2009
NewYork
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Thought I'd drag these older posts out for comparison's sake, seeing as others have recently seen them, too:

Tropic Thunder: So, so funny. It was a bit corny in the setup, but then they ran with it. Robert Downey Jr is amazing (he's more black than the black guy), and the bit where he's playing an Australian playing a black American playing a Chinese dude is amazing, because it works so well. The cast go great together, and the setting is gorgeous. Love it.

No Country For Old Men: Good till it goes all bizarre. Cinematography is beautiful, and there's a perfect still, tense atmosphere about the whole thing. The "sugar" guy (dunno what his actual name is) is a very scary dude. Now maybe I'm just not high-brow enough, but the ending screws it all up for me. The movie stops caring about the important details, robs me of the confrontation I'd been waiting for, and, of course, ends randomly. I'm sure there's loads of explanations online, but films shouldn't require homework. However good it started off, the ending truly ruined the whole thing for me. Tommy Lee Jones is the man, though.

Coraline 3D. Gorgeous animation and art-style (particularly pleasing is the everything-turning-white effect used a couple of times towards the end of the movie).

Love the characters and their voice acting, esp. Coraline, Whyborn (sp?), the mother, and those theatre gals.

Beatiful score. There's some freaky French/Budapest kids choirs in there, from what I could tell from the credits.

Wasn't as chilling as I expected, from how the reviews make it out to be, but it has its moments. There were definitely some kids in the cinema crying and being traumatised by the "final boss fight".

3D makes my eyes hurt.

Plotwise, I like the nice, slow beginning, full of lazy charm, but then they try to cover too much in the rush towards the end. Things tend to happen without ever being logically explained (it's a fantasy world without strict rules, basically), but it's part of the charm of it, I guess. There's a bit where Coraline asks the cat why it can talk, to which the cat replies: "I just can". ^___^

The theatre performance was quite saucy, I thought (one of the ladies has her humongous baps out with just the nips covered). :D

Anyway, enjoyed it.
#899 at 00:53:38 - 26/09/2009
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I didn't like the 3D much either. It's a stupid gimmick and doesn't add much, if anything, to the enjoyment of the film.

The Island
Michael Bay attempting semi-intelligent action film. The action isn't that great, the central concept isn't that important (it is just a chase film, ignore all the cloning). It's only made watchable by Ewan McGregor's personality (along with comedy American accent), Scarlett Johanssen in skin tight clothes and Steve Buscemi being Steve Buscemi.
#900 at 01:38:23 - 26/09/2009

home
Left 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 Right