What films have you been watching recently?


Author Reply
Binky
Flag
Posts:1401
Comments:160
Thread Kills:33(2%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Hugo
Was a bit lovely really. It's no Goodfellas.
#1711 at 15:32:11 - 10/09/2012
repairmanjack
Flag
Posts:4135
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
We've got The Hunger Games to watch tonight.

I'm expecting Battle Royale with cheese.
#1712 at 16:53:41 - 10/09/2012
Whizzo
Flag
Posts:2711
Comments:146
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:165
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
It's not much like Battle Royale, shame a lot of the violence from the book is toned down so much as it rather dilutes just how nasty The Capitol is and how little they regard the rest of Panem.

The biggest difference between BR and THG is the target for what happens, the class is the group being punished in BR it's the districts in THG that are through the deaths of their offspring and reminding them that it's just as easy to kill them and to remind them of what happened to District 13 (which isn't mentioned in the film IIRC).

Battle Royale (in the film at least dunno about the original novel) never really made a lot of sense in that if it was being done to warn school kids what could happen if you act like an arsehole yet the kids didn't have a clue about it and it doesn't appear to have been broadcast to the general public.
#1713 at 17:04:54 - 10/09/2012
peej
Flag
Posts:14637
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Nope District 13 is only alluded to, but I'm guessing they'll have to mention it in the sequel at some point.

I thought it was fairly violent, considering some of the district reps were just kids. It's very rare to see a mainstream movie deal with any violence against kids so I guess they handled it in the best way possible, cutting away and just showing the end results.

Not saying it was a bad movie though, I thought the books got steadily worse as then went along but I'm hoping Donald Sutherland gets to show us his nasty side as President Stone in the 2nd movie - plenty of scope there.

Thought Woody Harrelson stole the show though, thought he was a shit choice as Hamich initially but he's actually nailed him spot on.
#1714 at 21:24:09 - 10/09/2012
peej
Flag
Posts:14637
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
#1715 at 13:21:40 - 17/09/2012
repairmanjack
Flag
Posts:4135
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
So, The Hunger Games bored the piss out of me, I'm sad to say. Even the missus, who really wanted to see it found it bland and couldn't believe "that was it".

My Week with Marilyn. Good performances, once Kenneth Branagh's evens out... semi-interesting.

Safe House. Great cast, for the most part (I thought Ruben Blades was dead for some reason); utter shite-fest to sit through. Bored beyond belief and the villain was so bloody obvious it's not true.
#1716 at 14:52:50 - 17/09/2012
billdoor
Flag
Posts:3884
Comments:183
Thread Kills:158(4%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
New Robocop will obviously miss all the satire of the original and be a straight up action flick.

In other news, watched Ghostbusters the other night and it's still awesome. Nearly every line is a keeper.
#1717 at 14:53:21 - 17/09/2012
repairmanjack
Flag
Posts:4135
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I read that Battle Royale (at least in novel form) was a criticism of the Japanese schooling system - especially the pressure put on the youth of the country. Not entirely sure that transfers to the film, but it's far more interesting than the watered-down bilge I sat through on saturday.

Very tempted to see Dredd at the cinema, apropos nothing.
#1718 at 14:55:03 - 17/09/2012
repairmanjack
Flag
Posts:4135
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Oh, Woody Harrelson was the only thing I liked about THG, as it happens.
#1719 at 14:56:01 - 17/09/2012
evilashchris
Flag
Posts:2188
Comments:592
Thread Kills:53(2%)
AATG Pts:200
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Dredd is amazing! Do it!
#1720 at 14:59:32 - 17/09/2012
peej
Flag
Posts:14637
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
repairmanjack said:So, The Hunger Games bored the piss out of me, I'm sad to say. Even the missus, who really wanted to see it found it bland and couldn't believe "that was it".


I thought it was OK. But merely OK. Real tough novel to distil down into a couple of hours of movie. Cast was great but yep, Harrelson pretty much stole the show IMHO.

Looks like Jen Lawrence is signed and sealed for the sequel at least, as are the other major players. TBH it's going to be even tougher to make the third movie IMHO.
#1721 at 15:15:02 - 17/09/2012
Binky
Flag
Posts:1401
Comments:160
Thread Kills:33(2%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Troll Hunter!

Bloody loved it, and just as I thought I was completely done with the "home movie" concept too. If you haven't seen it then correct this.
#1722 at 17:32:19 - 17/09/2012
El_MUERkO
Flag
Posts:708
Comments:71
Thread Kills:26(4%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Grabbers

A very funny Irish monster movie in the vein of Tremors. If you like that sort of thing I strongly advice avoiding trailers and just watching it as some of the plot is better experienced than spoiled.

8/10
#1723 at 17:36:48 - 17/09/2012
peej
Flag
Posts:14637
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Binky said:Troll Hunter!

Bloody loved it, and just as I thought I was completely done with the "home movie" concept too. If you haven't seen it then correct this.


I think this is the guy who is in line to direct the Shadow of the Colossus movie. Which would be hella good.
#1724 at 17:45:05 - 17/09/2012
peej
Flag
Posts:14637
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Finally got round to watching The Avengers

What a mess of a movie. Think they spent so long collecting the team together, then an overly long time letting Ironman / Stark steal the limelight that by the time the final climactic showdown rolled around it all felt like it was happening on fast-forward.

Haven't actually seen any of the other movies featuring the avengers (aside from the two Ironman movies) but keep wanting to see Captain America for a bit of 40s retro stuff.

Thor's accent was hilarious though. Couldn't quite make out whether he was aiming for Nordic or broad west country at times.

Oh and it's official, my missus has a fitter arse than Black Widow.
#1725 at 12:12:58 - 24/09/2012
NewYork
Flag
Posts:5237
Comments:1481
Thread Kills:105(2%)
AATG Pts:330
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Youth in Revolt

Could have been a good film if they'd focused more on making it a serious thriller and less a teen romcom.

Michael Cera, though.
#1726 at 14:36:04 - 24/09/2012
billdoor
Flag
Posts:3884
Comments:183
Thread Kills:158(4%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
peej said:

Oh and it's official, my missus has a fitter arse than Black Widow.


/dusts off TPIUWP
#1727 at 16:48:09 - 24/09/2012
billdoor
Flag
Posts:3884
Comments:183
Thread Kills:158(4%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
peej said:Finally got round to watching The Avengers

What a mess of a movie. Think they spent so long collecting the team together, then an overly long time letting Ironman / Stark steal the limelight that by the time the final climactic showdown rolled around it all felt like it was happening on fast-forward.

Haven't actually seen any of the other movies featuring the avengers (aside from the two Ironman movies) but keep wanting to see Captain America for a bit of 40s retro stuff.

Thor's accent was hilarious though. Couldn't quite make out whether he was aiming for Nordic or broad west country at times.

Oh and it's official, my missus has a fitter arse than Black Widow.


It's bad on a number of levels. Not least the alien invasion via flying sledge motif it has.

Still, Marvel have announced Iron Patriot and the Extremis armour for Iron Man 3, so that should be interesting. Certainly more so than Avengers 2.
#1728 at 16:49:20 - 24/09/2012
peej
Flag
Posts:14637
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
billdoor said:
peej said:Finally got round to watching The Avengers

What a mess of a movie. Think they spent so long collecting the team together, then an overly long time letting Ironman / Stark steal the limelight that by the time the final climactic showdown rolled around it all felt like it was happening on fast-forward.

Haven't actually seen any of the other movies featuring the avengers (aside from the two Ironman movies) but keep wanting to see Captain America for a bit of 40s retro stuff.

Thor's accent was hilarious though. Couldn't quite make out whether he was aiming for Nordic or broad west country at times.

Oh and it's official, my missus has a fitter arse than Black Widow.


It's bad on a number of levels. Not least the alien invasion via flying sledge motif it has.

Still, Marvel have announced Iron Patriot and the Extremis armour for Iron Man 3, so that should be interesting. Certainly more so than Avengers 2.


The whole last 3rd of the film was so badly done which is a pity because I think the cast aren't actually too bad (Ruffalo made a bloody good hulk actually, far better than Edward Norton's piss poor effort).

I must admit I'm looking forward to Iron Man 3 and I really want to see Captain America now (but that's mostly because I reckon Hugo Weaving probably steals the show as Red Skull)
#1729 at 10:08:21 - 25/09/2012
frod
Flag
Posts:1242
Comments:102
Thread Kills:34(3%)
AATG Pts:130
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Captain America was a pile of toss. Awful distracting SFX at the start as well.
#1730 at 10:18:24 - 25/09/2012
Ace Grace
Flag
Posts:420
Comments:95
Thread Kills:24(6%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Right on topic I watched Iron Man 2 last night.

Needed less chat and more action.
#1731 at 10:22:24 - 25/09/2012
frod
Flag
Posts:1242
Comments:102
Thread Kills:34(3%)
AATG Pts:130
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Agreed. I'd prefer if they were just more like the Avengers, comic book heroes doing comic book things. If you're watching these films for cunning sub-plots and character development you're just setting yourself up for certain disappointment.
#1732 at 10:23:41 - 25/09/2012
repairmanjack
Flag
Posts:4135
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Ace Grace said:Right on topic I watched Iron Man 2 last night.

Needed less chat and more action.


Love the original, this bored me.

Although we'll be watching them back to back, soon, as the missus wants more RDJ since watching the Avengers (without me).
#1733 at 11:04:19 - 25/09/2012
billdoor
Flag
Posts:3884
Comments:183
Thread Kills:158(4%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Safe

I've come to like Jason Statham films. The newer ones are a bit tongue in cheek and the older ones lean and mean. Safe is sort of half way between the two. Gangs, corrupt police and a Chinese 12 year old are a wee bit clichéd.

Worth a watch though, especially for the amusing "boss fight" at the end.
#1734 at 09:15:00 - 26/09/2012
repairmanjack
Flag
Posts:4135
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I like Statham films (generally). Really enjoyed The Killer Elite - which is as fascinating for its "based on true events" tag. Especially when a very recognisable name features near the end of the film...
#1735 at 09:40:38 - 26/09/2012
peej
Flag
Posts:14637
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I hated the idea of a new Death Race flick when it was first announced but as a Statham vehicle (hah) it worked really well. The sequel was poo though.

I'd still go a bundle on someone doing a movie that was a bit more like the original, rather than some gritty dirty reboot.
#1736 at 12:43:13 - 26/09/2012
evilashchris
Flag
Posts:2188
Comments:592
Thread Kills:53(2%)
AATG Pts:200
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I take it you have all been to see Dredd now then?

If not I'll find you. And kill you.
#1737 at 13:38:45 - 26/09/2012
peej
Flag
Posts:14637
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Eeep!

In my defence, I'm waiting till I can watch it at home in a chav-free environment (oh and in 2D)

Really pissed off it didn't make enough to warrant a sequel though
:(
#1738 at 14:54:20 - 26/09/2012
repairmanjack
Flag
Posts:4135
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Hoping to go this week... but life's a bit hectic again. Happily.
#1739 at 16:50:35 - 26/09/2012
repairmanjack
Flag
Posts:4135
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Albert Nobbs. 4/10

Pedestrian and filled with annoying (and apparently half-blind) characters. Haven't been so bored by a film in years.


How I Spent My Summer Vacation. 6.5/10

Not bad, and I quite enjoyed seeing Gibson on screen. It's not a patch on Payback for want of a better frame of reference.
#1740 at 23:42:09 - 30/09/2012

home
Left 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 Right